1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Kobalt Computers Dodgy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsmccusker, 11 Oct 2011.

1. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Feathers.

There could be any number of reasons why someone would want to buy a laptop.

Your posts are off topic, rude, ignorant and totally unhelpful.

If your that eager to be heard then start your own "desktops are better than laptops" thread.

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Agree with jimmy, feathers comments were out of order and completely unnecessary when people are trying to get their money back - they dont need lectures on computer tech when they're in this situation and want genuine help.

3. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Must agree with the above posters feathers, as part of the community it is always better try to help rather than make almost insulting comments which are in fact totally off topic. Please think before posting

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Kobalt Computers website has been updated with this...

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Further update on the Kobalt Computers website...

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Hopefully it's as simple as getting the cash flowing again to sort out this mess.

7. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

In the real world paypal only ever hold funds if there is a buyer dispute or if your bank account has been frozen.
    Considering the amount of people who had been waiting for 6 weeks plus I guess many of them issued a requests for there funds to be returned, this money was then held by paypal until they ruled weather to refund the customer or not.
    Paypal never hold on to money for no reason.

You don’t go in to liquidation for not receiving payments for items that you have not shipped.
    You only go in to liquidation if you don’t have enough money to pay your creditors bills, and you are worried one of them is going to take you to court for bankruptcy.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

They have been known to hold money on Merchant accounts to cover themselves in case a refund is issued by the buyer. PayPal don't want to lose money! Also it turned out Kobalt Computers ceased trading not liquidation after all. It just allows them a break from the companies financial burdens. If they can get the funding from investors and honour their responsibilities prior to cessation of trading then that'll be the absolute best outcome. It makes sense because if they do continue business they do not want to alienate their user base any further! They would be ruined by walking the same path they did before.

9. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Yes that was the point i was trying to make. Ie the disputes happen first.
    So your money is held because you have problems supplying the customers.

So then this causes even more cashflow issues, but it is not the start of them.

10. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Although useful PayPal is getting out of hand. Grey area as far as money is concerned.

Thanks for the links Everydayoddity, interesting read.

12. Neil McRae

Neil McRae What's a Dremel?

folks,
    kobalt where a disorganised mess. Whilst they may blame their merchants for demanding certain terms they _didn't_ have to use them. They could have gone with their own bank or other company. Fact is- small companies with big payments in the thousands are a risk to credit card companies and merchants and to control this risk they place certain terms with you. Take it or leave it. I predicted less than a year ago that they would go bust... shame really as they had a great product.

Neil

13. laincognita

laincognita What's a Dremel?

Shows how little you know then doesn't it............:p Clevos are totally upgradeable throughout, can even add a second HDD if you wish and they have the same power as a desktop ......... what a plonker you are .... they are state of the art........... that's why they are gamer's machines or in my case video editors............

Meanwhile Kobalt still making excuses, or shoutdown forums, Customers not happy but some have managed to get chargebacks while others still waiting..... me included although mine is not as bad as some people's problems. After their grand excuse blaming Paypal etc Kobalt still haven't said sorry or advised any further....

I do love my Clevo though ;)

14. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

This is really sad, and also not surprising. I ordered a fully loaded laptop for a trip to Brasil earlier this year. They failed to meet every delivery date, in the end I almost missed my flight. It took around 12 weeks to get the laptop, and my elderly father who lives close by ended up driving to their factory to ask where the hell my machine was. They still owe me like £200 because they never refunded on the operating system or fitted the screen I paid for. I'm beating myself up a bit because I held back on writing a long defamatory post about their shady practices in the belief they would refund me. Perhaps if I had, I could have saved some bit-bros some cash. The whole process had me stressed out, they took so much cash upfront, I think it was like £1600 and then I added solid states and better ram so ended up paying an extra £250. They had absolutely no problem taking my money, and then the communications stopped. Then I researched them and found many posts about their shady practices. I hope they never trade again, Andy and Neil have acted like thieving A** h***S. They ran their laptop business for months IN THE KNOWLEDGE they were in trouble. Why else would they have their phone lines switched off for months and months and still allow the automated website to take orders.

15. DMC_RULEZ

DMC_RULEZ What's a Dremel?

Wow and I was just about to email them again about a upgrade to my old Vadim I wanted.... close call ...real shame this has happend, a few friends I had on the Vadim forums also lost alot when Vadim closed in a very similer way.

on the other hand after Vadim went bust I got in touch with Adrian (my rig builder) and he fixed it at home for me....I'll be interested in getting in touch with him again about doing what I was about to get Kobalt to do, as he move from Vadim to kobalt.

or maybe I'm reading this wrong but does the updated info on their site say they plan to come back? I do hope so, as it would be a lost to WC bespoke PC's if they disappear like Vadim...and leave their customers hanging.

16. Deus5000

Deus5000 What's a Dremel?

Joined just to post in this topic!

I'm glad (probably the wrong term here) that theres some other people left in a bit of a pickle like myself. I think i'm in a tad worse situation though.

I pushed through a chargeback claim on my debit card with Barclays worth in excess of £2500 because Kobalt failed to follow through with their refund. All fine and dandy, Barclays put the money in my bank account and i was right as rain...until today. Just found out that Barclays failed to get into contact with Kobalt and their bank and have now reversed the chargeback leaving me about £3000 in the hole. They've now suggested i go to the merchant directly or CAB to see what my rights are. I think i have a right to appeal the decision made by Barclays but other then that i'm well and truly screwed.

Thanks Kobalt.

17. Deus5000

Deus5000 What's a Dremel?

Ok, update on my situation, tis not great.

Can't appeal the reversal, can only put in a claim/complaint to look at the decision again. That'll take 2 days to process, and 10 to complete. But thats not the worse bit. Today got three separate letters from Barclays telling me my account is closed, my debit card and cheque book need to be returned, and any direct debits/standing orders have been cancelled and to pay the full £3000 in the next 14 days. Absolute joke. The advisor in the disputes said he'd contact collections explaining the situation but he obviously didn't. Don't know what to do now, have to contact collections tomorrow to see if i can still salvage my account but not likely i'm guessing.

Seriously, thanks Kobalt.