1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 21 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Was asked by a friend to order him some 500 gig HDD's this week for a project, as I was placing a small order said it wasn't a problem, said that price wise and before postage he was looking at £30 per drive.

Went to Ebuyer, couldn't beleieve that this chosen drives (he wanted WD Blues) we £37 each ! Thought to myself thats odd, so had a look at Aria, it's the same story there, infact on all the main retailers the price for 500 gig drives has gone up !

Now I'm not exactly behind on PC tech, but since when did this happen ? I mean 1 TB drives are only a couple of quid dearer and in the end I got him to have 4 1 TB drives instead.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Been that way for a while even before the stock shortages. Below 1TB is not worth considering when buying new 3.5" drives.

3. Behemoth

Ahhh stock shortages, that explains it :) Means whn theres more stuck the prices will drop. Odd really as 500 gb is normally the sweet spot for most people.

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Will take time for prices to fall as the companys have to recoup the lost profit this quarter

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

With any hard drive, regardless of size, you're paying for various parts which aren't related to storage capacity. The housing, the connectors, the PCB and related electronics for controlling it, the labor of putting all the parts together, even a theoretical drive with 0GB capacity will cost several quid. Where the difference comes in is the platters, the additional cost of creating higher capacity platters is all that changes the price.

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

500Gb is not the sweet spot! Maybe quite a few years ago?

7. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

1tb is the sweet spot atm.. this is the drive that every reseller has been calling for this week

8. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Actually, in the case of WD, there was a recent flood in one of their major manufacturing plants which means production has slowed down.

source

Could be part of the reason for a price hike.

9. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

They have indeed gone up. The Spinpoint F3 1TB is $70 now, up from $55 a few months ago when I picked up a pair. I was also surprised that the 1TB Caviar Black is still at $120, seems excessive for a 1TB drive nowadays.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

It's meant to have more cache and faster response times, but $120 (£90?) does seem excessive.

11. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Here is another article about the flooding in Thailand and how it's affecting HDD pricing. It's more recent and has more information about what retailers are doing in response.

Sometimes reading the news actually helps lol.

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Prices going up fast!!!!!!!!

Just bought a Samsung HD204UI 2TB a few days ago for £58. It was going for around £51 not so long ago. Checked today and its gone up to £71.98.

£51 ----> £58 ----> £71.98 ----> where next??? £100????

Or our suppliers just upping prices and using flood as excuse?

What do you think?

13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

There's no drives about now. Distribution who supply the likes of ebuyer and aria (mentioned) are now on strict orders to add $10 to every line and then to increase margin from 1-3% all the way up to 30%. The cost price of an WD20EARX has gone from£43 a week ago to an horrific £82. That means that when stock does sell out the prices of drives that were £55 to the public are now going to cost in excess of £120 within the next few weeks.

It's very dark times for storage.

Just check the stock markets, shares have gone mental as profits of remaing stock at WD, Seagate etc has rocketed.

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Seems to me that suppliers are looking to maximise profit on old stock purchased at cheaper prices, before they have to restock with much more expensive drives. Or can't restock at all.

15. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

This is the beauty and beast of supply and demand!!

16. Behemoth

Let me re-phrase that, the sweet spot for the average home user. People like ourselves with hundreds of gigs worth of games and media files perhaps not.

17. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Retailers are probably having a little smile as they'll be able to shift stock of smaller drives People won't be able to afford the higher capacity ones such as 1 - 2TB. It's going to be an interesting few months.

18. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

At times like this, eBay becomes my friend. Buy before the world realises prices are rising, and sell almost as soon as I get them when prices have already gone up 50% :)

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Also the world's major rare earth element supplier, China, has stopped most exports for a month to artificially inflate prices.

20. jaydeee

jaydeee What's a Dremel?

I would also take a bigger capacity with just little addition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.