1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Yes. Just yes. Android 4.0 ICS announced at webcon

Discussion in 'Software' started by PFCBroid, 19 Oct 2011.

1. PFCBroid

PFCBroid What's a Dremel?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobil...-4-ice-cream-sandwich-features_n_1018881.html

The overhaul itself is enough to get me giddy as a school girl, none the less, the tech that could spawn from this. Or even the behind three scenes making of it. Or even that I may recieve the update TODAY, according to Engadget, 10 hours ago. Then again, Matias said 2.3 devices should be compatible... in theory.

Tight? Very.

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Yes, I will say one thing for Google they do not hang about.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Awesome looking forward to updating my Galaxy S2.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Two crashes during the stage demo? Seems like Google are still more interested in cramming features than concentrating on usability and stability.

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Will this work on the Galaxy S 1?

6. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

It will work, but its likely you'll only get it through a 3rd party developer. I'd be impressed if samsung released an official update.

7. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I'm sure Darky will release a newer rom with Android 4.0....

8. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

And if he doesn't there will be cyanogenmod 8 without fail... now release the damn source code google!!!

9. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

Each new Android release does give me a little buzz, so I'm looking forward to this :)

10. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

So will this be official for Galaxy SII ? If so how do you update it?

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don't know if there will be an official update for this phone specifically, but if there is it might be a while before it's pushed out.

The only phones to get the most up to date versions of Android over the air are the Nexus phones, because these are Google phones (albeit made by Samsung or HTC) - they run pure, unmodified versions of Android straight from Google. Manufacturers like Samsung and HTC usually have their own overlays/customisations/features, which have to be updated for new versions of Android; once they've made their changes, then they push the updates out over the air. That is, if they even choose to support the new version at all.

Your phone should normally periodically check for OTA updates and notify you when they are available. You can however force your phone to check for updates in Settings.

To be honest, a custom ROM will be a better bet for ICS (once/if it goes AOSP). It does depend on the manufacturer, but most don't usually update their phones to new versions of Android unless they've not been on the market long. My Desire has no chance of an official ICS update from HTC - I don't even think it got an official Gingerbread update - but the SGII may fare better.

12. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Hope HTC release for the Sensation, they didn't release Gingerbread for my old Wildfire, but the Sensation should be able to handle ICS.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The original HTC G1 phones can run Gingerbread and they only shipped with Android 1.5/1.6 - the Sensation will be able to walk all over ICS, with it's dual-core chip and Adreno graphics :). My Desire will probably run it with no problems; the only time it struggles is when it's running a HTC Sense 3.5 ROM and even then it's not really noticeable.

And you can get Gingerbread for the Wildfire - original Wildfire, not the Wildfire S - with a custom ROM ;).

14. Jackg

Jackg What's a Dremel?

Hopefully, HTC decide to bring it to the desire s

15. Durd

Durd Minimodder

I have the desire s :cooldude: But I wouldn't bet on HTC updating it..

I put cyanogenmod on mine. I'm looking forward to what they can do with ICS. A lot of the minor features of ICS seem to have been inspired by CM.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And thus everyone reaps the benefits of open source ;)