1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Picked it up today. Never played the open beta for it on PC. Game looks great so far in single player on my new rig (rebuild just for this, Skyrim and Old Republic).

I do have one gripe, and maybe I am doing something wrong. It seems a bit much to have to get started in the game. I mean, first I had to install through Origin which didn't exactly specify that "Download" meant "Install from Disc" so I end up going through the install 4 times because I think it's downloading from Origin. After that, I go to finally play using the Desktop shortcut but lo' and behold, first I have to verify my release activation, then load up a webpage that tells me it's not compatible with my browser (Battlelog?!?!), accept the EULA, download a plug-in, AND THEN I CAN LAUNCH MY GAME.

I've never had to launch an installed PC game using a browser navigation like this before. Once I was in the game looked amazing. But that whole thing seemed like a little too much for something I paid money for.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Installation really was awful. Had to install Origin, set-up my EADM account with all the new Origin account options, update Origin, install BF3, update BF3 (half gig on release, fun), open Battlelog, find a server only to have it give me an error on my first attempt, download a plug-in once I found a server, then finally play only to have my chosen server be terribly laggy.

What I did get to experience from my one super laggy round wasn't bad. Went 7-1, enjoyed the good graphics, the guns felt good, loved having prone back. We'll see what tomorrow has in store, tonight I'm too worn out from the god-awful installation.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

The install was a pain indeed but it's shorter for those of us who have played the beta.

I found the single player to be flawless so far but the multiplayer is laggy as hell and battlelog SUCKS

Give me a real server browser with freaking IPs damn it ! I want to be able to do things manually instead of relying on a broken service

:-/

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Hate to say it but the install was anything but painful and I love battle log. I'm not trolling, I really believe it.

Some of the guys in my clan don't like it, they say BC2 is better. I told them in 2-3 month now tell me what you think. It sucks dong at first until you start unlocking things, then it's really fun.

5. clumsy_culhane

clumsy_culhane Minimodder

Any ideas on when the bit-tech review will appear? still waiting for my pre-order copy from a uk store :(

6. Olivier

Olivier What's a Dremel?

I'm also patiently waiting for my copy from Game... Although perhaps even more importantly, my beautiful new 560 Ti which should arrive today! :D Would someone be so kind as to offer us some more eye-candy in the form of some screenies? Especially on ultra settings!

7. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Has anyone who has ordered their game through Greenman Gaming got their Specact Kit key yet?

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I got a dispatch email from Game late last night, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow at the latest.

GMG don't offer the Specact kit as a pre-order promo. Or at least, I've never seen it offered.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Short linear SP, inferior console graphics, awesome PC graphics, vehicle dominated MP, crappy Battlelog...

10. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Also got dispatch email from game at midnight.

Shame I can't play till monday

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

OMG my copy has been despatched! (Tesco btw)

I'm sooooo excited!

12. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

amazon dispatching today
    should I go for a 560 or a 570?
    1080 on high.

13. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Go for the best one you can afford. If you have the money for a 570 go for that :). If you can afford a 2.5GB 570, even better.

14. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

570 will last you longer. Both will play it high at that res.

also try and get lots of vram

15. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Pants, didn't spot that :(

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Did anyone expect anything different?

Ditto.

Also ditto.

Having read the comments about the vehicles I don't think the reviewer quite grasps the concept of what a battlefield game is supposed to be about. Nor the myriad ways that are open to players to take down or otherwise neutralise enemy vehicles.

I couldn't disagree with the comments about Battlelog more. I found it perfectly intuitive to use, well laid out and provides a far more streamlined method to get from my desktop into a online battle.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Krazeh, funny that you chose to comment on my impressions of the review, not on the review itself...
    Anyway,
    Isnt BF3 a full price AAA game? Shouldnt it have to have a more than decent SP experience?
    Or have we finally reached the time when a AAA full price game can get by with a placeholder SP campaign?
    As for Battlelog, it should have been icluded in the game.

Battlefield 3 Preview Performance Preview

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Mine got sent early this morning! still no Spec skin email tho...
    Also on the way to the vets in Nottingham i seen a massive blacked out lorry just coming off the M1 with just the side having a massive Battlefield 3 logo and art. any idea what that is?

Very true, but battlefield has always been about 100% amazing MP... SP comes second or not at all and thats the way it should stay.. The SP only existed when Bad Company came around.

19. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

20. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick here abit , the bf games where never about single player ever. To be honest i was worried they were even putting a story into the single player end of things as bf2 only had the maps and bots, no story line at all, the same with bf42. I and many others would have been quite happy to have a mp only AAA title in the bf vein.
    The only reason i think they have pinned on the sp option is to lure some cod fans across