1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

...The bit worth reading!

"Grady's Thoughts on Multiplayer Performance
    For our multiplayer testing we used an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 graphics card with NVIDIA ForceWare 285.62 WHQL driver. We found our highest playable settings to be 1920x1200 with Antialiasing Post on "High." Antialiasing Deferred "Off," 16X AF, and all other in-game graphics options set to "Ultra." We did turn off Motion Blur because it was conflicting with our ability to spot enemies using our peripherals; we will look more into the motion blur performance impact in our following article. Our test system consists of an Intel Core i7 920 at 3.6GHz on an MSI Eclipse X58 motherboard.

With these settings our framerates were fairly stable around 60 average FPS. The framerates varied from 57 FPS to 63 FPS. There were a few instances where frame rates would drop significantly but this usually only happened near fires. Framerates in vehicles were normally 10-15 average FPS higher than on foot. Even on the extra large maps with 64 players and 20 players shooting at each other in a small area with lots of explosions and crumbling surroundings the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 provided very playable framerates at 1920x1200. This seemed to be the sweet spot for competitive framerates as well an immersive experience."

2. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

You've been complaining about Battlelog for months.......

Here's an idea - stop dropping nothing but negativity on this thread and go play the game!

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

You are right that to begin with BF games were MP only however with BC and BC2 they at least showed that a SP campaign was viable and by doing that they did set a precidence. I enjoyed the SP in both of those games (mainly due to the humour involved) and was looking forward to seeing what they did with BF3.

Having said that, with all the previews available it was obvious the SP was always going to be an 'on rails' QT event movie extravaganza to satisfy the fans of 'other' mainstream shooters.

So, to see the review I am disappointed, but not entirely surprised.

The MP beta didn't blow me away, so I will be interested to see how it plays when it arrives. To be fair I only really played a lot on the Metro map, which I though was a terrible map to preview a BF game with. I only got a couple of hours on the Caspian Borders map due to server problems - that at least looked more like a BF game. I never got to use a vehicle though as everyone else who spawned seemed to have the sprinting power of Usain Bolt and got there first!

At least I am going to play it now that EA have let me change my Origin ID without deleting my entire history of gaming!

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yes, but if I remember correctly, BF2 was a $40€ game. There was a $50€ version that came with a headphone?

PS:
    The SP on those were good. This should have kept the same level, sadly it doesnt seem to be the case.
    CB was leaps above Metro.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2011
  6. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Who cares it's a free dogtag, no big deal just enjoy it. 90% of people wouldnt know it was alienware anyway.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Gotta give credit where it's due, Origin's download servers are pretty good. I'm installing about as fast as i would with the DVDs which i promptly tossed on the shelf.

10. Parge

11. Parge

Good to hear, I won't be able to play til Saturday so should give me a chance to d.l it before. Usually get about 1mb/sec from Steam so I'll be happy with anything around that speed - should take about 3 hours.

12. Zorndar

Zorndar What's a Dremel?

For those who actually went for a mp try, is there a way to change the soldiers name, other then in the beta? One more day, only one more day :( .

13. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

On my 20Mb/s connection it downloaded at full capacity (2.5MB/s) for most of the time, so props to Origin :).

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I saw that and rofl'd...

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

alrite, here's what my opinions are for the few posts above,
    1. BF2 was also $59.99 when i picked it up. it was a full game and IMHO a AAA game. i was expecting no less than that with BF3 and it delivers. the SP is extra fluff. i hereby nickname the SP as "4-hr graphic demo" and be happy with MP.
    2. BC2 has SP, but BC series IMHO are spin-offs from the BF series. thats why it has SP. spin-off should have fluff. remember, the game we're talkin about is BF3, not BC3. if it was BC3, i would expect a more thorough SP experience.
    3. pre-ord from Origin. install was flawless. pre-load, double-click, verify timezone, unlocks. and off i go. no issues.
    4. Battlelog is "meh". i still prefer BF2's server list, but to have it integrated in some kind of social-network mish-mash with ur stat profile, is kinda cool. and i rarely have problems searching or launching from server list.
    5. Ars Technica Preview: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...as-a-single-player-campaign-unfortunately.ars
    completely agree.
    6. The Geforce recommended spec as linked above is crap. i got way more smoother experience and higher fps in MP rather than SP.
    and my 8800GTS 640 was playing low-med mix (auto saw it and it sets it higher than in BETA) at 1680x1050 around 30-40 in SP and 40-60 in ALL maps in MP with ALL 64 players.
    but yes, BF3 will use all ur cores in ur CPU. its a very CPU-intensive game. most folks with Core2Duo CPU experiences <40FPS even with 68xx radeons or 400 series geforce.
    7. change soldier name: http://www.origin.com/us/change-id (u might need to change /us to /uk depending where u live)
    8. vehicles are not overpowered. compared to BF2 that is. a few rank0 engineers can rpg a fully ranked T90 in less than 5 seconds. or a good drop of land-mine. or C4.

alrite, now here's the real deal.... map mini-review. i made a full circle of maps (except Metro LOL!) last night and here's what i got:

1. Caspian border:
    just as nice in beta. big and large. just remember, some weapon damage and bulletdrops are tweaked from BETA. so test.
    frostbite is fully on now, meaning other than toppling the antenna tower, pretty much everything can be decimated. the Forest CP? after a good firefight, u can call it the Plain Rocks CP. enemy hiding in Hilltop building? a good few rounds from a T-90 and building no more!
    just dont run and gun, this is not CoD, ok? i rack up lotsa kills from people who spawn and just run in the middle of river or street.... got laser unlock for both SVD and MK11 last night thanks to them tho.

2. Operation Firestorm
    Oh lord, its awesome. Its big, huge, lotsa vehicles, wide outdoor and detailed building for hunting those pesky soldiers who's hiding so u cant cap the flag. snipers can profit from going all the way up the hill and cover the whole side of the map, and other than the glare (which is somewhat reduced!) NOBODY can spot u. when ur in the middle of an empty hill, killcam can't reveal u. and the crane... oh boy... lol
    and if u like tanks, this is the map with over 4 available in beginning of map for each side, and couple more when u flip a flag. and with wide open area outside the city core, u can really survive.

3. Grand Bazaar
    My least "WOW" map, but still pretty fun. this is an infantry heavy map and not so big, but the CP are strategically located, so fighting and defending them are loads of fun. some buildings u can go inside and there's lotsa spot to hide. although many of those spots can be destroyed... so this is perhaps the only map where run-n-gun and twitch is valuable. and lag can frustrate u. CP are not too far from each other so in a 64-people map, prepare to get CP flipped constantly. Recon, drop a mobile spawn, its very useful here.
    There is a tank, but due to close combat area, most tanks won't survive for more than a minute. lotsa tight alleys u can just shoot an RPG from.
    but if u do survive more than a few seconds, u'll rack up kills fast. people are cluster together in a building? shoot randomly at the building and enjoy the scene.

4. Seine Crossing
    Another close combat (sort of) map. Only a few CP and they are evenly divided across the river, with an extra in the middle of a bridge.
    snipers can still excel here tanks to open area around the river, covering choke points, but remember, u can swim. jump down, swim across, win.
    dont stay too long in this place too, for 1 reason: mortars. most CP are out in the open, so either cover it from inside a building or never stop moving.
    there are vehicles but they are more useless here than Bazaar. its tight to move around and with that many engineers and support, ull be dead before the first shot.
    the best vehicle? is humvee or the russian counterpart. drive to a chokepoint, man the gun, and let it rip. at least u get more kills than a tank. Infantry gallore in this map.

5. Noshahr Canals
    ooh boy this is a rockin one too. US starts in a carrier and Russie starts from the other end, in ground. this map is fairly HUGE, and many vehicles. so utilize ur vehicles skills and infantry, go hide inside a building or under a train.
    there are few places to climb (some buildings are hangars) and hide inside, but most of the fight are outdoor. long range fightings will be the focus point here. lotsa vehicles, so pack up ur RPG too. and get to know the map. contrary to the pics, its not just containers... theres many building and large open areas as well.
    note for both sides, there's a canal (duh) on the side of the map. both sides have boats. be creative. flank goes along way here.

6. Kharg Island
    Now this place is a little like Firestorm but next to the beach. funny thing is, i dont see any boats... there's a fairly linear set of CP (except for 1 strategic one) and both sides start at both ends. just don't think its a small map so grab a vehicle to get around. again, sniper can really work in this map, so keep ur heads down as 90% of the fight is outdoor (unlike Firestorm who has some indoor fights as well). most buildings are open construction so there's not a lot of place to hide other than behind a hill.
    RPG is required and AA as well. just remember to keep moving and drop mobile beacon whenever u can. its mostly outdoor fights with vehicles and long range. so leave those SMG at home.

7. Tehran Highway
    Oooooh jizz. one of my favourite map. CP are scrambled all across the map evenly, and the whole landscape is uneven. so they are not all at the same heights. this means lotsa vehicles to move around (and even they can hide behind hills and buildings) and snipers can cover great area if they choose the right spot. lotsa buildings to hide inside and construction buildings to climb. CP are mostly out in the open too so to defend, u really need to pick a good spot.
    other than jets, this map has it all. infantry close combat, long range, vehicle battles, and good size of map.
    One thing though, the night is not THAT dark. u dont need IR to be productive here, although its dark enough that IR can be useful. if u have good eyes, u can simply spot enemies, but with many camo blending in with the environment in the dark, it can be tricky to spot enemies or friendlies?

8. Damavand Peak
    Ok, lets get the first thing first: no basejumping in Conquest. or i totally missed it somewhere. i played both sides last night and both side starts at the bottom of the cliff. so u can see where u can basejump but u cant go there. didnt get a chance to grab a heli so i couldnt try either.
    as for the map itself, its chokepoint gallore. the CP are linear, but worse than that, there are 2 CP outside on both side of the hill, and there's 1 inside called TUNNEL. and u CANT go around the mountain except by heli. 90% of the fight is in that tunnel fighting for that CP.
    that said, it is damn fun. coz vehicles got room to back out to repair and the tunnels are blocked with rubbles and large stationary vehicles. so tons of rooms to hide. sniper can stay outside and pick stragglers, support can cover the tight hallways, and engineers just go RPG-happy.
    this map also has everything with focus more on medium-close range, vehicles battles, and complete chaos inside the tunnel.
    Too bad most people still not used to Frostbite engine. i drove the russian assault jeep, drive kamikaze into the tunnel, ran a couple people in the process, drive into a small office with couple people hiding inside, and BAM. burning jeep inside the office.

Aaaaaand that's all folks.

At this point, i think my fav is between Firestorm and Highway, but im happy with any map to play. they're all great. just need some time to get used to. :rock:

Questions:
    1. so what use is the SOFLAM again? i unlock it, deploy it, picks a vehicle, establish a lock (gets 20pt!) and.... thats it. LOL. i guess until more jet pilots unlock their missile, its pretty much useless.
    2. unlocked LMG for my tank. umm.... what its use for? is it only for when i sit in the 2nd spot? it upgrades THAT machine gun?

ps: i had so much fun last night i didnt even unlock my warfare pack yet...

16. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Brill review of the maps Redbeaver +rep :).

17. Parge

Great stuff mate!

18. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Beaver, press F or 2 to change from 120M cannon to coaxial machinegun, useful for pesky infantry. Lol :D

(When you're driving ofc:p)

Redbeaver likes this.
  19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Very nice read, good stuff :rock:

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Yay, my copy has Bren dispatched. GameStop UK seems to be able to deliver on release date. But I can't play it until 30th :(

Awesome map overview. Thanks.