1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Steam Refund for game?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Picky88, 26 Oct 2011.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I bought a game through steam, and was very disappointed with it. Its the "back to the future, the game" featured on the little adverts that come up. As a keen fan of the films, and after watching the previews I decided to jump on it. Unfortunately I feel the previews were misleading, you cant actually drive any vehicles, they are only cut scenes. I have had a good look through the forum search, I seem to remember someone on here got a refund for a game by quoting the Distance Selling Regulations 2000. My questions is what do I say to either get my money back, or at least get some steam credit back?

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Worth a try but I doubt it.

I remember reading about MANY people asking for a refund after Brink arrived, the people I knew never were successful.

Not sure on the laws and how they apply but I see it as akin to going to the cinema, watching a film, and then asking for a refund because you didn't like it.

Saying that, I have heard rumours that people have successfully received refunds from Steam for sh!t games.

*Edit*

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent. To answer your question, if you are going for it, you will probably have better success asking for credit (if Steam actually do such a thing), but as they are quite a big company they will probably be just as happy to refund should they feel it is appropriate.

Maybe give them the alternative if you are not too bothered? At least it reinforces the point that you aren't being unreasonable about your request.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2011
  3. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

AFAIK the DSR ruling unfortuantely doesn't apply to digital purchases or for software that have had their seals broken that require a code. Buying through steam the game's seal is technically broken immediately, as your able to get access to the game activation code once its in your library.

Its also a clause in their T&C that refunds aren't offered. So have to live with it I'm afraid. This is the one downside of digital game purchases vs hardware copies.

The only time steam has given out refunds if a game doesn't work on your computer. And this isn't referring to it being buggy or laggy and your computer specs aren't up to it, but rather the actual ability to launch the game and actually physically play it. If there is this issue then steam will issue refunds on a case-by-case basis. However, if they notice you have played a few hours of the game and that you've played for a while each time you tried to access the game then they will know you are returning the game because you don't want it.

The other occasion when a refund is given is when a game is bought during the pre-order phase and a refund is requested before the game is released.

Steam Refund Policy

This is the only recent rumour I have heard about and it involves issues with DRM for Ubisofts new game From Dust.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2011
  4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

In the rare cases where Valve has offered refunds/credit there has typically been a better reason than "I didn't like the game" or "I made an incorrect assumption about the gameplay based on previews without actually confirming the information shown". The second sounds a bit harsh but is how it'll be seen. If there's no fundamental flaw with the game which makes it unfit for its purpose (aka unplayable) it'll be an uphill battle even for credit.

5. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

You bought some thing without knowing what you where buying?

Also, I enjoyed the Back to the Future point and click adventure game lots. My complaint about it was how easy it was.

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Wish it were possible to get refunds. Dungeons was crap! So wanted it to be like Dungeonkeeper2. And so disappointed when it wasn't! :waah::sigh:

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Did you not read any reviews?

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Not a chance in hell unfortunately.

Not even a brick and mortar store will refund you a PC game if it has been opened (unless it is physically faulty)

It can't have been that much, surely?

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Think it was £6 or so.

To the OP: Read reviews!

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Dixons gave me a refund when HL2 came out. Didn't realise you needed a good internet connection just to play single player, (still on 56k back then). They said they'd had a few returns due to this and so gave me a refund, :D

Inafct, thinking about it, I wonder how that worked. I must have setup a steam account and linked it to the account to then start downloading. Or maybe when it asked for me to download steam right at the start I gave up?