1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress BISMARCK Update 28/10/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kojak, 2 Jul 2010.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Us, sweet little innocent us? would we do such thing.....feckin right we would...lol

If you go the same route as me, you'll end up removing 10 pounds of metal patting yourself on the back and then go and put 20 pound back in it. :wallbash:

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, it looks brutal and mean. It definately needs some red lights, something that makes the case tremble and something that blows smoke out from it, too!

3. bulldogjeff

So what your saying is fit a traffic light and a dry ice machine:dremel:

4. Nutman

Dunno about the traffic light, but the dry ice machine is a neat idea - would also help cool this bad boy down considerably. :D

5. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Now what are you pair of jokers on about ...red lights and something that blows smoke out of it? ...sounds like a brothel in a dodgy neighbourhood! I'll pass lol! :hehe:

6. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Update 26/10/11

Continuing on with the restart of this project from last week, today I put some hours in and got quite a lot done. There's been some correcting and good progress, so here's the pic's to show you guys how I've been getting on. :)

[​IMG]
    All the thread inserts in the base section are now pressed in.

[​IMG]
    The pci card slots on my motherboard tray are out of line so I cut a template from the original one and used it to make new slots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Miles out!

[​IMG]
    Time to cut, get rid of the mistake and patch up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mistake rectified and time to move on with progress.

[​IMG]
    Today I concentrated working on the front compartments which house the hard drives and psu. I'm now trying to have everything welded together as one, didn't like the idea of everything I'm adding to the case being separate bits and peices bundled together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This makes me laugh ...thats all thats left of the 800D :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's not possible to turn my settings down any lower on my welder so it's very easy to burn through this thin steel. It doesn't help that the stuff I'm using is galvanised either, makes a real messy job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thats all for now, I'm back in the workshop in 5 hours time to do some more so there will be another update very soon so watch this space, Cheers guys! :)

bulldogjeff likes this.
  7. Nutman

I'm no welder, but this looks very impressive.

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Indeed. I too am no welder, but those joints and your reparatory work are frist class. So. You're a pen pusher for a living then? :)

It must break your heart to see what you have left of the £200+ case.... surely you could've made the whole lot in retrospect....

9. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

A handy skill to have. Looks like that part turned out nice. I imagine there was a bit more elbow grease involved that what you showed in those couple of picts. :)

10. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

I hope you have a small crane at home to install that thing when it's finished, it's gonna weigh a ton!

Very nice work though :) Welding galvanised steel is nasty, hope you have good extraction :dremel:

11. bulldogjeff

That is some very, very tidy work Joe, nice one mate, looking forward to more of this..:thumb:

12. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

You just said it was galvanized. I once heard that welding galvanized steel can get you blood posioned.. It's better to just grind the top coat off and then weld it...

Oh, and looking awesome btw !

13. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

It's not the welding, but the fumes that come with welding galvanized steel.. The fumes even from welding regular steel or stainless are toxic. Either way, grind that stuff away before welding because that stuff is really, really nasty. Thank god i'm not a welder anymore...

14. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Close enough :worried:

15. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Update 27/10/11

Little update here, managed to put in a couple of hours work on Bis' today, thats three updates in two weeks, thats more than what I did in half a year :hehe:.
    I worked on getting what I've shown you guys in the last two updates fixed down to the base section, which just involved a little more welding and squaring up.

[​IMG]
    I used this original fixing point to work off which would help get everything square and sized to the measurements of the 800D. After pinning it with a rivet I just worked my way around the case tacking with the welder being sure to check for squareness all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Checking this corner with the other before I can start tacking with the welder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With both corners the same and square, clamped and ready.

[​IMG]
    Thats all it needs.

[​IMG]
    Nice and square.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Getting the correct measurement so I can transfer it down to the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Checking corner to corner distance for squareness and they're both the same so happy days.

[​IMG]
    This needed changing on the motherboard tray as it no longer matched the case as a lot has changed since when I made it a month of sundays ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cut doesn't have to be bang on straight as once it's butted up to the case the weld will sort that out as it fuse's together because of how thin the metal is, it'll be left with a radius and will just need smoothing off with the grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats where I'm at as off today, more tomorrow. :)

Cheers pal! :thumb:

Plater and welder and steel erector :D
    It doesn't bother me now pal, this mod has evolved from a case mod to something that resembles more a scratch build. I bought the case before I new about Bit-tech, so all you guys are to blame for the influence! :hehe:

Cheers pal! Not really a grinder and a bit of emery paper makes life easy.

Extraction ...whats that, not heard of one of those before :lol:

Cheers pal, I always no if you like it then I'm on the right track! :thumb:

Not all of it is galv, I'm using bits of cut offs, If it's thin enough I'll use it. You can grind it back but when your working with thin steel you run the risk of loosing too much material so when you come to weld, it will disintegrate into a puff of smoke. It's not that bad, a bit here and there won't hurt you.

A bit won't hurt, It's only a couple of welds. :)

p0Pe likes this.
  16. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

There is just something really cool with metal builds like this! Keep it going and +rep:D

17. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Thanks mate, much appreciated! :)

18. bulldogjeff

I was walking down the road with my mate earlier when he spotted a woman crying in the street, he said "You should go over and console her" so I hit her round the head with my Xbox.

19. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: This is crazy, it's turned from a mod to an extreme mod to pretty much a scratch build :D:rock: & it's built like a battleship so still on perfect theme for the project :clap:.

Welding rocks, so good how you can mess some up & then patch in a new piece as if the mistake never happened :) awesome work mate :thumb:.