1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress CM 690 II - AluminaTwins ROG'MOD-No advertising-3rd update of the day-10.08.2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Canardwc, 22 Sep 2011.

?

What paint color for Grafik Card?

Poll closed 27 Oct 2011.
  1. Natural aluminium

25.0%
  2. Black

45.8%
  3. White

29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

my like alot

2. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Allright, i made lil modifications on the VGA Shell to get the fans to the same level as the fans plate and obtain a better air grip...

1st picture, you can see my first VGA homade aircooling to get the maximum airflow.
    I did some benchs with my two different VGA aircooling, plastic and aluminium.
    800 Mhz for core clock
    1600 Mhz for shader clock
    1800 Mhz for memory clock
    0,987mV for core voltage

[​IMG]

Plastic VGA BENCH: 61°C
    Disgusting but very effective!

[​IMG]

Alu VGA BENCH: 91°C
    Nice look hein?! But just Nice look compare to the first aircooling system.

[​IMG]

So I'm pretty desapointed.. Exactly 30°C difference between those VGA coolers..

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  3. Canardwc

But i realised, there where a big difference of airflow exhausting...

So i think i'll do some aerations on the 2x6pins and SLi side to get a better airflow..

[​IMG]

4. Canardwc

What do you think about my airflow therory?

5. Canardwc

And what do you think about this aerations design?

!!!...I'm open to all of your ideas and drawings...!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

The design is cool, but you can do diagonal lines on the top of that side. :thumb:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:( Must have been a sad finding, vents should help it out a lot though mate, must be all getting trapped inside the cover.

Does the heatsink on the gpu have closed off fins, if so this is why it gets so hot, I done a similar cooling mod to a 4870 x2 a while ago but left the stock fan intact so it cooled really well.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I second you on this point. Hot air is trapped inside. Lateral cuts should help them getting outside. Something like that for example :

[​IMG]

Anyway, nice job on this cover. Hope the vents will solve the heat issue. :dremel:

9. Canardwc

The original aircooling system of Gainward is just a really BAD system. To 800Mhz core clock, the temps rised to 75°C.

One year ago, I modified gainward aicooling 460gtx cutting the original plastic shell on sides, removed the rear and added two Blade Master. These modification were really more effective than gainward aircooling system.

So, i know my system could be better than gainward. Think just have to do some cuttings to get the same proportion of airflow entering and airflow outgoing.. Like that the air regeneration will approach of the optimum..

10. Canardwc

No body got no ideas about the design of aerations?

11. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I'm sure we could come up with some weird and wonderful designs, but until then I would suggest looking at some stock cards on the web and adapting designs from card which are already on the market because the guys who have built them know how to do the job better than most of us ;)

12. Canardwc

Hi,
    wich vga are you refer to?

13. Canardwc

For the design of the holes, what do you thiink about a kind of squares cloud bitween the sli plug and the 2*6pins?

14. Canardwc

Hi,

There will be no update for probably 1 or 2 weeks because i dislocated my left shoulder 2 days ago...

But can still draw!!! :waah:

And have no ideas to design the holes airflow...?????

Have you?

I'm just a builder, not an industrial designer!!

15. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Your aluminium graphics card cover was the inspiration for my acrylic one :) Good luck with getting the temps down
    Maybe you could try a design that combines straight and curved lines?

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

What you did there looks fine to me & maybe use a mesh on the inside if there is space for it :thumb:.
    edit: think you'd need to raise the vent a bit so you could safely get a mesh in there without it touching the internals./edit

Oh & add a cable pass through hole for the fan cables :D stop it from warping ;) htink it would be best to just file enough space for the cables to fit between the 2 joints.

Ugh dislocated shoulder :eeek: crapper :(.

17. Canardwc

Thanks, but I think i have to find another design, there are no correlations bitween the final case and the VGA shell. I'm looking for harmony...

The mesh is a good idea!!! :thumb:

Dont worry, it was just to see how fit the 2 parts of the shell ;)

Sometimes, stupid stuff happen!! :wallbash:

18. Canardwc

Hi,

Really glad to have inspired you in your project and it's an honor.

Thanks and good luck (i saw your shell, you done the same first mistake i've done: only one piece...! Do it in two, easier for assembly!;))

19. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

Massive airflow?

Your graphics card has a cooler with fins pointing in one direction and two fans on top of it. This forces air to flow side to side and towards the card itself. Neither path is optimal, because fans has to push air against airflow they generate themselves and only part of it goes away from the cooler and card at once. This is why many OEM coolers have a radial fan in one end.

But it gets worse than that.

Let me show what I mean.
    [​IMG]

1) Because you have one end closed some of the air gets trapped so you have to open it
    2) and if the case design hasn't changed, some of the hot air stays in the case which means you are cooling you graphics cards with preheated air. In SLI configuration you have limited air intake for the inner graphics card because cards come so close together.
    And because they're so close together the inner card can suck preheated air from the outermost card.

3) If you want maximum airflow then you have to push air parallel to the cooler fins, like you do with the CPU cooler. This also gives other benefits:
    - you can push hot air straight out of the case
    - you have more room to fit bigger cooler for inner card in SLI configuration
    - you can use one big fan at a slower speed but still have the option to push a lot more air through if things get hot.

Those are what came in my mind when reading the thread.
    Hopefully someone finds even one valid and useful point from that. Oh and sorry about the lack of smilies. This is by no means a serious post so have one here :D

Last edited: 4 Nov 2011
  20. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but it's manageable and looks good to have as one piece :)
    I wish aluminium was a bit more affordable

Tags: