1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I am absolutely gobsmacked at the detail. This is on another level

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Amazing work, my Jaw is scraping the floor mate. Unlucky with the aluminium mate, I hope your anodizer has a solution that works for ya.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah the 1-up mushroom needs to be coloured for the cherry on the cheesecake :eeek::D , didn't know that grade of alu wasn't good for anodising, it's a nice strong grade though, hope you find a solution & what you said about a good brushing might be the trick :).

More brilliance with the hot glue :cooldude::dremel:.

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I prefer 6061, but that's mainly because it's widely used and very common.

As far as anodizing a poor metal, I suggest either a deep scratch finish, sandblasting, or a heavy etch. This will reduce the appearance of spotting, I think, as well as give you an even finish.

5. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

The only solution can be to start all over again to make sure you get the right finish ;)

Nah i wouldn't wish that on anyone, hopefully the people doing the anodizing might know of a way to prevent the spotting.

Cables work looks great although I was disappointed to see you using stock black glue instead of the home made option but nethermind ;)

6. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks man, and gratz to the frontpage:thumb:

Those words are enough... thanks

Thank you, glad you like it.

Thanks, yeah I hope the anodizing will work out.

Thank you for that nice comment peteski:thumb:

Thanks.. yeah I hope there is some kind of way to solve it. Im not shure but maybe it's possible to hard anodize it and hide it with a thicker layer.

Hehe thanks. Yeah I've bin told to be more romantic... so here I go :)

Im glad you like the connector since it took quite some time to make. I tried several methods and kept going at it for some hours before I was happy with the result.

yay lvl up :p Thanks for the nice comment.

Thanks... sorry for ruining your yaw. I got some glue leftovers so I can try to fix it for you if you want ;)

Yeah it definetly needs color or the whole thing will just look like..hm something weard. 6082 is really nice for machining but I think Ill try to avoid it in the future, atleast for design and thermal related projects.

Thanks again Waynio.

Yeah 61 and 63 is pretty similar as far as I know, so ill probably use whatever I can get. Thanks for the input about the anodizing, I've been thinkning the same and hopefully it will work or not look to bad.

Haha dont tempt me to start over, I might do it :) Its only 17 pieces:worried:
    As you say, hopefully they know some way of hiding it.
    Actually I think my diy glue looked nicer. This stock glue creates a more sensitive surface. I could just give my glue a light brush with my finger and it would have a nice smooth rubbery look. It's not possible on this one. I might end up making my own again. ;)

Phew.. that must have been my longest quote ever, thank you guys for all the comments:thumb:

Axoxenon likes this.
  7. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Clearly never played the quote pyramid game...

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I'm loving that right-angled usb header connector; why on earth does such a thing not exist commercially... or does it?....

9. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

If it doesn't The_Gnu should get a patent on it :p.

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha nope, and by the sound of it I don't think Im gonna try it :)

Thanks... actually I don't know if it exists, but I gues it does. Maybe it's not that popular because the placement options of it is somewhat limited.

An angled version, like a sata 90°angle style could be usefull though.

Hehe.. I guess there are more type of connectors out there than people on this planet so there is probably something like this out there already, if not it will be in an hour or two ;)

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Un-Frikkin-Believable! That's all! :thumb:

12. y0gi

y0gi What's a Dremel?

Hey, man. I just went through this entire worklog... it took some time too. Just freakin' awesome mate. The milling, the details, the ideas. To put it simply... you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

13. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This just gets better and better. The way you done the hot glue cable mod, you made it look so simple, but it's not some thing I would have thought of in a million years. It's just brilliant. Top modding dude.

14. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

I must say the hot glue method sure is easier than my epoxy method :duh:

15. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

was a perfect congratulations great job! I loved the finish of the USB cable!

16. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks Angel :thumb:

Hehe thanks, nice of you to read through it all. 27 pages and still counting, must have taken a while :)

Thanks Jeff, maybe I made it look to simple because it was actually kind of hard. It took some tries before I got a decent smooth finish. The thing I like about using hot glue this way is that apart from being shapable it's also very good for insulating the solderpoints.

I havn't worked with epoxy so I really havn't much to compare with. But another advantage with hot glue is that if you mess up, you could always just reheat it and try again :)

Thanks, glad you like it :)

17. JaSoN...

JaSoN... What's a Dremel?

Just an observation/ question, because the USB ports are recessed, do you have enough clearance around them to plug an average cable into them?

Big fan of all you milling work, especially the intricate little adapters and such. 27 pages is a lot to read through, but well worth it!

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Oh yeah, a very valid point. Also, you could ask the same concerning USB keys. Will they be able to achieve contact?

19. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Wow you've got one mighty impressive log here, all the metal working is superb and the wiring is very impressive, specially the homemade connectors :thumb:

20. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

I cant believe it but I'm actually nervous about that anodizing.. Have you figured it out yet?