1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair 400 Case Mod Project: "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" ...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 11 Oct 2011.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I bet he's delayed because of scouring plastic dinosaurs.

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

So it kicks off - I've been waiting for this.

Now, I'm not as opposed to the rocker switches as Kosovar is, but they DO need some weathering. The brushed steel base plates look waaaaaay too shiny new.

But it's a good start, and I somehow get the feeling that this project is much further along than what you're showing us? ;)

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Haha, I'm working between different projects for CES atm, so not a lot of time to document everything.. Here is Left side panel progress... Everything looks clean atm, so ignore that..haha... It will be colored to match the panels from firefly's deck, then distressed and weathered with Copper accents, graphics from interior of firefly will be airbrushed.. side panel was created from interior of an old Dremel carry case, with wire loom, 5" conduit, 3.5" fan controllers, misc wires, misc LEDs bulgin panel LED...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round Modders Mesh for the grills in the side.

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html

[​IMG]

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  4. OC Maximus

OC Maximus What's a Dremel?

Awesome theme build, lovin it!

Can't wait to see it all weathered and dusty.

5. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

I've seen the snips of the research you've done with the bloody "Reaver" goodness as well as finding picts of the Set work and prop work, and models from the movie.... That's why I ain't say'n dog yet about what you're do'n!... How fast is your outside low pitch btw :D

6. mnpctech

Thanks! :D

I know... it looks way too clean. I have to fab everything first, before it can get paint effects. The updates have been a little sparse. I'm working on 4 different vendor display PC builds for CES, AND preparing to show my billet case accessories in person. on the Main Floor!!! So, if you're attending CES, Jan 10th - 14th, Drop by and say "Hi"

I worked on the access panel for this project yesterday... The Mesh was epoxied with ScotchWeld DP-190, the strongest 2 part adhesive I've ever found in my 10 years of Modding. Yes, it bonds metal, but for decoration only.. It won't handle autobody work..haha

and You need 3M's Applicator

[​IMG]

Amazon link
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-Adhesive-DP190-Translucent/dp/B000WXHG1Q

Honeycomb Modders Mesh for the side panel...

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gum drop style LEDs....

[​IMG]

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Makes me wonder what you are going to do to the interior...

8. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

This, back-lit.

9. mnpctech

I don't know yet cheaps, but it will be easiest cable management job in my career

Bare with me on this part, it will make more sense when I've taken more pictures of the panel. I'm making a junction box for the panel, from an old bezel top.. imagining the box suffered damage from some type of accident and caught on fire.. Gumdrop LED is cracked, one of the black wire looms will be disconnected with have melted wires exposed.. I'm still deciding on what looks right, as I go along.. I plan to head over to Home Depot's Plumbing aisle tomorrow for some copper pipe, hopefully I can get .25" diameter, maybe buy a pipe bender, (probably don't need one) and emulate whats I'm only guessing is coolant or misc fluid lines? (it's all pretend..lol) from lower right panel in this photo. I keep telling myself "need more copper implemented)

[​IMG]

fyi: all of the photos were taken on my iphone 4, then I email them to myself and edit later.

[​IMG]

cannibalized bezel piece, to be heated and bent into used and abused junction box for the access side panel show above..

[​IMG]

after heating and bending the plastic into box... added smoked acrylic piece on top, I reflected to myself "Make due with what you have on hand, and improve your skills"

[​IMG]

Dremel had a snack... The effect of having caught on fire at one time will be added with paint later

[​IMG]

One of the black wire looms will be disconnected with have melted wires exposed..

10. LooseNeutral

bare with ya :lol: . I don't have a clue as to what where this is a part of :idea: :eyebrow: went from the side panel mesh to the ships on fire :eeek: due to making due with hungry Dremel :hehe:

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bill, 0.25" inch copper tubing will probably be easier to find at a motor parts store as brake pipe.

Plumbing pipe is generally 0.5", 0.75" or 1".

12. OC Maximus

OC Maximus What's a Dremel?

Home Depot is also a good place to find that copper tubing.

13. mnpctech

@LN, haha...

@I&W, good point, thanks!

@OCM, I should find some other inspiration there as well

14. mnpctech

I did find 1/4" copper tubing at Home depot, so I'll creating some simulated liquid lines. painted the 2nd panel, Matte Black and installed 1/4" wide u-channel, used as trim around fan holes, sold for xbox 360 shells, but also works on PC panels.

link
    http://www.mnpctech.com/xbox_360_window_trim_molding.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Industrial looking vented cover will be hinged..

[​IMG]

15. LooseNeutral

O.O Shhweeet!

16. mnpctech

:D ^

I didn't see a pipe bender for 1/4" OD copper tubing at Home Depot, but I think I can stuff the soft copper tube with bicycle brake cable cover, to prevent the tube from collapsing as I bend it around a pipe. I want to achieve 90 degree bends. We'll try this afternoon at the shop.

17. LooseNeutral

now lookie here :eyebrow: you going to show some of this crazy bike bender "Modmen" special episode? :lol:

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ghetto solution:- Fill the tube with water & seal the ends. Water cannot be compressed, so the tube won't kink.:thumb:

19. mnpctech

@LN, haha! .... How about a copper silly straw for cheaps :hehe:

@I&W, good suggestion, if I can find something to seal it.

heading over there now...laterz! :thumb:

GuilleAcoustic likes this.
  20. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Another great mod ... more and more threads to follow :D. Keep up the good job :thumb: (+sub)