1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin pledges 100Mb broadband for third of UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 3 Nov 2011.

1. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

So I'm just imagining that the 20mb connection i have spends most of the time either at less than 1mb or not working then? get real.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, the speed is pretty much as promised, that is as long as you stay within their restrictions.

The actual restrictions of Virgin:
    Do not attempt to use youtube, or play mmorpgs, or use p2p (not even for legal uses, like for example games that use it such as Trackmania, WoW, CoD). Also no large downloads from 10am to midnight (read no buying Games on Steam).

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I've already got it ;)

4. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Chill out fella. Obviously there are exceptions i was merely stating that Virgin out of all of the ISPs in the UK consistantly come out on top for reaching their claimed speeds. If you have an issue with them don't get butt hurt when i state the truth according to surveys.

5. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

What's a data cap? :confused: Must be some silly thing that amateur ISPs come up with.

6. Durd

Durd Minimodder

Of course they're getting close to the speeds they advertise at the moment - so few people are on 100mb/s connections.

Just wait until they start overselling it.

I'm on a brand new connection, set up 2 months ago, new hardware and all. I'm lucky if it doesn't drop at least 3-5 times a day. It's like being back on dial up at times.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Oh, 100mb, that's nice. Wonder if they can provide the 30mb we're paying for atm...

Nope, decided to over subscribe my area and are now in the process of upgrading it for next year.. which leaves us with intermittent connections. FU Virgin, go suck one :)

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

In theory, Virgin Media do have their peak time throttling thing. In practice, I've never actually experienced this on my connection (30Mbit, Stretford UBR). As a test, I downloaded 20GB of data non-stop from about 11am on a weekday until it completed. On 30Mbit, I'm supposed to be throttled if I use more than 10GB, yet I wasn't throttled at all that day. I've never had issues with torrents or any sort of P2P software, streaming or Steam or any general connection issues either (using the Superhub in pure modem mode, I must add).

The issues that so many irate customers have is probably due to their location, as VM's network is a mix of different technologies used by the old cable companies in different parts of the country (anyone remember Mercury, NYNEX, Bell Cablemedia and Vidéotron?). I think the different characteristics of these networks have been responsible for the varying quality of their service in different parts of the country.

9. John_T

John_T Minimodder

"Virgin pledges 100Mb broadband for third of UK"

Well the metropolitan area of London alone makes up the best part of a quarter of the population of the UK. Add in a couple more high density areas such as Birmingham and bingo - over a third of the UK population via just a few percent of the geographical area.

I'm with Virgin via their ADSL 'up to' 10Mb service, and sure, if I want to surf at 2 in the morning I can get over 2Mb+, but peak times? Lucky to break 1Mb, and very usually below 0.5Mb. And no, I don't live in a village in the arse end of no-where either.

But sure, all kudos for taking people already on good infrastructure and taking the easy step of shifting them up even higher. Keep aiming for that low hanging fruit...

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have the 100mb connection and I get 11.8MB download speed and 1MB upload speed, which is 100mb down and 10mb up on any service except Steam, and that is because there servers are overloaded.

I know a few thing's about the Traffic Management but I cannot and will not say what they are as they are not final yet, but let me tell you something now it's better than it was if they go with it.

Oh and so you know I am forwarding this page link on to the people who deal with this type of false statement and also on to Niel Birkett

12. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

OT: I live in a village in the arse end of no-where and I get downloads at roughly 2.4MB/sec downloads all day and night on ADSL2+. I think has a lot to do with your provider and their back haul.

I wouldn't mind having Virgin Cable in my area for their TV services though. I refuse to pay Sky a penny while they still charge you extra for HD Content.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

All they'll do is expand the hardware capable of delivering 100Mb to the customers they already serve... Doubt they'll be digging anything. :)

You can't live in the arse end of nowhere with an unbundled local exchange! ;)

14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Your bum. I absolutely hammered my 50meg connection earlier this year(hyperspin...). 500Gig hammered, and they never said a thing. I mostly kept it out of hours but anytime I buy a game on steam I just gulp it down there and then.

No fuss from them and I've been a customer for years. Last christmas even during the steam sale. Must have downloaded 40gig in a day.

15. Durd

Durd Minimodder

So, anything that uses bandwidth basically? What's the point in a 8Mb/s connection, let alone 100 if all you can do is load basic websites a fraction of a second faster. The reason you get a quick connection is to download/ upload a lot quickly. Not for bragging rights.

16. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

This! I'm in the centre of blackpool and stuck with shitty adsl yet the next street has real virgin (ie cable) :/ piss take tbh

17. d1ck0

d1ck0 What's a Dremel?

I was on 50mb for over a year and ALWAYS got 51 - 56mb speeds , I have now just downgraded to 30 mb and get 30mb speeds too , I downgraded as I wasn't using the 50mb service enough to justify the cost ! :( , btw i'm in the manchester area.

18. ecviper

ecviper What's a Dremel?

most of the brand new development high rise development flats in Canary Wharf, London, 'the financial heart of Europe', only come with ADSL sockets. Bit of a lottery to find cabled flats even in London!

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

What's really annoying is that I'm on 50Mb and get 50Mb all the time and 100Mb has been rolled out to every exchange around me, just not mine!
    Something to do with being a hub in the south I hear so they will do us last :(

20. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Do not care. I'm happy with 50mb downstream, now give me something over 15/20mb and I'll give them another tenner a month

Tags: Add Tags