1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair 400 Case Mod Project: "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" ...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 11 Oct 2011.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Serenity Kanji 240 grill for the top panel, this will be cnc milled from 3/16" thick Copper

[​IMG]

Access side panel with mangled vent...

[​IMG][/img]

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, so? Jeez, I can do that without trying! ;):hehe:

I'm gunna started telling people I went for that look on purpose. :D

Seriously though, real nice work Bill. :thumb:

3. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Seen the movie more than I can count.... missed most of the show :( tarded tv execs. I still say Nvidia or ATI need look at this quick b4 MSI runs with it! Looking forward to what's next Bill. Screwdriver benders and all :D

4. mnpctech

@Spreadie, and it's soo much fun to do, thanx! :D

@LN, do you have Netflix? (dont blame ya if you dont...lol) but you can watch the entire series on Netflix Instant. "Out of Gas" is another good episode too.

I'll start posting some of the graphics I'm planning for the exterior this weekend...

5. mnpctech

Here are some misc graphics/labels designed for Serenity, these were displayed on cargo, equip or interior features of the ship. Some of these should look really cool distressed on the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Outstanding! .. will give it a nice feel of "This case came from the production propmasters stash!" :D

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Copper? -Ouch! I think I felt my wallet cramp up.
    Ask Randy what his RPM and feedrate are on that.:worried: Online charts are playing me.

8. mnpctech

@ LN, right on, found out this morning on facebook, the SKULL image, (2nd from top) states "RISK" in Arabic ....OK, I can use that one, but I need to somebody who can read Kanji! No clue what any of that says and I don't wanna insult anyone! :hehe: .....I presume the show designer already thought of this...haha

@ Cheaps, will do, and sometimes you just gotta splurge on real materials. Here is an outstanding deal you'll approve of, LCD Temp Meter with thermo sensor and Molex, $7.88 Shipped, on Ebay. and It works great, and I didn;t have to wait 6 months for it to arrive from China. It only took 1.5 weeks

Ebay Link,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Digital-...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415d8c76bf

Here it is, mounted on the top Power panel for this build (more pics to come), but would be easy to mount in 3.5 bay face plate.

[​IMG]

Switch plates for Red Fighter Pilot Switches, http://www.mnpctech.com/spdprtToggle.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Nov 2011
  9. mnpctech

More pics of the Toggle Switches and LCD Temp... the aluminum plates will get grimed-up next, so they appear "well used"...and Crinkled edge on the bezel, will paint edges Silver, for exposed metal effect later..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

A little late, but Subbed!!!

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

OMG ... just checked the barsark log ... and now that ! Give me your hands, I want your skillz ! This is awesome !

Can't wait to start my own case, but I'm trully not done with the design :waah:

12. mnpctech

@Nanosec, Thank you tuning in Nano :hip:

@GA, Thank your for kind words, and I've always considered your design ideas, engineering and drawings to be stellar :clap:

The paint effect on this gun is pretty close to what I'm striving for on exterior....Except the case edges will expose steel.

I went over the edges of Corsair's factory "grey" finish on the panels and top cover with an orbital sander, then painted everything Flat Black (shown in last post), after that cures, I'll go over the surface with red Scotch brite pad, and some of the edges with 80 grit sandpaper.

[​IMG]

13. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks for your kind words, this is a real honnor :blush:.

I've stored your painting tips in my tutorials folder :D, this can be very usefull.

14. mnpctech

Experimentation is the best way to learn :thumb:

I just received these Firefly Coach Works name & serial plates off Ebay, here.. They're made with Black gloss and brushed aluminum vinyl.. perhaps one on back of the chassis

[​IMG]

15. mnpctech

After paint has cured, carry handle area is scuffed to show high usage over time.., the top portion of the handle is plastic, so dabbed Aluminum Silver paint along edge, then lightly scuffed it with scotch brite pad, to create illusion of exposed steel beneath the paint...

[​IMG]

16. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

The access panel detailing is top notch ... weldone!

17. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

If you hadn't of told us, I would have assumed that it was metal that was showing through. Truly a stellar paint job Bill, Great Work !!

18. GuilleAcoustic

You're so right ! I think I'll spend some time experimenting, cuting, eating, filling, taping, sanding, sleeping, painting, soldering, gluing, playing, assembling, riveting. Small and simple shapes with no special use but using different material, just to experiment. Thanks Bill.

Just a question. What do you use to paint all those parts ? Air brush ? Paint cans ?

19. mnpctech

@RedManc, thanks for commenting! :thumb:

@Nanosec, glad you like, it's a lot of fun and easy to create distressed effects! :D

@GA, rattle can paint... Airbrush is ideal for small detailing, but very inaffective for covering large areas of surface. I was planning on the graphics being airbrushed, but it just dawned on me, Why couldn't I print them out on adhesive backed "glossy" printer paper instead?! and clear over them..... after all, they're labels ....taken from objects in the shop......

20. GuilleAcoustic

I do not know if you saw my post about lazertran products in my HTPC thread :

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2804353&postcount=33

This is a printable (lazer, inkjet, B&W, color) paper that can be transfered to any kind support. The result is stunning. This could match your needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]