1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Bärsärkar-gång, 25th December, no update; Every Who down in Whoville says...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mach, 31 Jan 2010.

1. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Ran across this thread today - absolutely amazing work!

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: I burst out laughing at that :D but I agree Bärsärkar gang :thumb:.

3. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I thought this project may have died. Its looking fantastic, and is finally taking shape. Now just get with it and get this thing done!

4. Mataten

Mataten What's a Dremel?

I liked "Bärsäkar gang" more than the others. It´s almost Swedish so I can relevate to it. Vikings did perform "Bärsärkar gång" to people´s they didn´t like so much.

5. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

I'm so glad this is back... best thread ever. Got the hooks in with the bioshock backstory... MOAR!

Also, +1 for Bärsärkar gang logo.

Sulfur anions can be a funny thing. The bisulfate is a reducing agent, which pushes an electron to the oxidized metal... by adding peroxide, you are making a polysulfide cocktail that complexes with the simple metals, and probably some sulfur oxyanions that chelate metals, stripping the surface. All depends on concentrations and temperatures. Sulfur is special, that's for sure.

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Have to say (don't hate me) I'm not usually a fan of this style. This however is a welcome exception, The level of design and craftsmanship is truly stunning! Bravo Mach!

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

The pinking in the pickle could be due to metal impurities getting into the pickle and plating copper onto your brass... Happened to me at a jewellery class once-upon-a-time someone had doped some metal filings in the pickle I guess (as there was noting obvious) and it set up a circuit
    plating the copper in suspension onto my beautiful silver piece!!!

Or it could be to do with the specific alloy of brass/bronze reacting with the pickle to the same effect. Good to know you've mixed up something that works though :p

As to what devils brew you've mixed up... pass. The extra oxygen atom in the peroxide probably stopped it from releasing too much sulphur dioxide... certainly some kind of reducing sulphur compound that grabbed the copper oxide off the brass. Just re-read Killmoor's post so... um... what he said :p p.s. grats on the word chelate - chelating is (to me) it's more beautiful form, one of my favourite words

And I'm with DeltaFX, a couple of holes for each A would look cool.

Looking awesome by the way. Can't wait for the next output.

8. Watchtown

Watchtown What's a Dremel?

gorgeous work, a keen eye to details, im loving it so far, thanks for publishing your worklog:clap:

9. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

But the proper (modern) Swedish would be "bärsärkargång" (without the space), to be a real grammar nazi ;)

Anyhow, this is a truly amazing project, both design wise and the technical skill.

10. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

I wish that I could claim that I slaved over them with a wee file but the only think that I did was draw them up. The laser cutter did the rest. I added them in as an after thought to the scrap areas. Not so much the deadlines but a combination of tired of putting off this mod and feeling guilty for not posting in so long.:D

Steady lad, it'll turn your effluent green. :hehe:

Thanks Bill! Looking like aye's have it. I can swap em out as needed but yeah, it will live with the namesake badge (see what I did there?) :naughty:

Oh yes, it does. :duh: Didn't even think about that one when I drew it up. Let me see if I can find my tiny drill bits.:dremel:

I will count that as a vote for Bärsärkar-gång logo (yes I cut and pasted that too). As to the creative fornication advice, I have questions but sometimes its best not to know. :eeek:

Thanks Knighthammer! :thumb:

The wisdom of Cheaps is best absorbed in small doses...like LSD. Thanks Waynio!

Thanks voigts, working on it!

Thanks Mataten! Yes, I need to wander back to the story of the vikings. I've got more to do there too.

Ah Bit-Tech, does your knowledge know no bounds? Thanks Kilmoor! It works really well but just wanted to make sure that homeland security wasn't going to visit any time soon. Bärsärkar-gång logo it is!

Thank you Editor22! Glad you like it. It is a unique rabbit hole that I've fallen into with this one but I'm having fun with it.

Thanks asura! You're on to something with it being a function of the alloy or an impurity. It only happens with the 1/8" brass that I'm using. So either some contaminant on the surface or the composition of the metal. It works like a fiend though and will actually etch the metal.

Homework assignment for everyone - use chelate in an everyday conversation and report back.

Thanks for taking the time to look, Watchtown!

Thanks crudbreeder! Glad you like it. :) I plead ignorance on the derivations and correct spelling. I found the description translated from some old sagas. Its supposed to literally translate to "Berserkers-Time" or "going berserk" but you would know better than I.

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Remember, kids: Cheapskate is very bad for you! Just look at what it did to Charlie Sheen.
    -Poking for an update, while letting my own log languish.:D

12. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Few operations in decorative metal work are more important than hard or silver-soldering. The process of brazing is quite similar; it is used for larger articles and the solder is an alloy of copper and zinc, called spelter.

Silver solder is made up of silver and brass in varying proportions according to the melting point desired. It can be obtained in wire or sheet form, the latter being most popular. The flux used for hard-soldering consists of powdered borax ground with enough water to make a creamy paste.

-Decorative Metal Work, Popular Science Monthly 1936

[​IMG]

----------
    Thanks sweety7!

Cheaps has shamed me into posting with his flurry of activity on GwassGween AND I have a little, but significant, progress to report. Remember the NB block? The one that leaked like a sieve after the silver and propane burner experiment. :wallbash:

[​IMG]

After those experiments failed, I went back to the drawing board. I read up on the making of mokume gane. If anyone is interested, the papers by James Binnion are an interesting read. What they told me was, it is possible to get repeatable results with metal fusing but the tools, like a hydraulic press and inconel molds were probably outside of my price range. Anyone want to buy a used kiln?

After a call to the local metal smith left me with no solution, I took a different tack.

[​IMG]

One that is likely obvious to most in the HVAC field. I found this gentleman's website which helped quite a bit. He's local to Houston and sells a training video online. One order later, I had a plan as well as an idea where I was going wrong.

Yes, the ad is cheesy but the video is actually solid.

I had been using a high silver content solder, the same stuff that is used by jewelers. It didn't flow as well as I would have liked. From the video, I was recommended this. Its a silver brazing alloy that is used for HVAC systems for joining dissimilar metals. Its 45% silver, 27% copper, 25% zinc, and 3% tin. On to the modding.

[​IMG]

The parts sanded and cleaned.

[​IMG]

The top was brazed first so I could still tap the threads. Not sure if this was necessary as the Bitspower threads are very short. I bolted the two corners together to hold the plates in place.

[​IMG]

Fluxing the inside of the block and heating it to a dull red with a propane/oxygen torch, the solder flowed quite well. You can see where the silver flowed between the plates on the outside edge.

[​IMG]

The holes in the block look pretty good with full flow on the silver. Here, they still need to be tapped. I was worried about annealing the brass (and copper) but it was a non-issue.

[​IMG]

I tapped them with my mini drill press (the Cheaps pattened method) by putting the 1/4" tap in the chuck, unlocking the head of the press so it was resting on the block, and turning the chuck by hand. It worked much better than hand tapping. The threads are straight and it was fast.

[​IMG]

The chamber will be fairly restrictive as you can see from the clearance. I'm winging it so we'll see how it works. Conventional wisdom says the performance would increase with pins or other turbulence building obstructions. The NB doesn't need a whole lot of cooling so it'll be a straight shot through the block.

[​IMG]

The 1/8" copper was cut over-sized to be trimmed after.

[​IMG]

The first time around, bolting the block together worked well so I drilled 2 more holes.

[​IMG]

And bolted each corner down. The holes were lined with brass tubing to keep the solder out of the screw holes. I should put whiteout to act as a solder resist but forgot it. Two of the screws had to be drilled out after.

[​IMG]

The final product after brazing. I fluxed the outside of the block this time and for good measure hit the threads again. It still needs a final polish but I wanted to make sure it held before I did that. As you can see there is some discoloration between the layers. Some pickle should clear that up.

[​IMG]

The extra holes were filled with the button head hex screws that I'm using throughout the mod. They're decorative and were sanded flush on the bottom.

[​IMG]

How's it work? Well it holds pressure. Using my ghetto pressure tester ( a bicycle pump and a pan of water), the only air bubble (singular) that I saw was at the seal of the Bitspower plug. It was only one and it didn't move so the block gets a pass. :clap: Especially since,

[​IMG]

I don't plan to run the loop at 40 psi. :)

[​IMG]

For the hold down screws, I silver soldered 3mm threaded rod to a button headed screw.

[​IMG]

When its mounted, the screw heads will look the same.

[​IMG]

I dropped it next to the CPU block to check it out. With more polishing and the sand blasted design in place, I can tick the box on the NB block and move on to the water block for the video card. But before doing that, the CPU block screws are bugging me.

[​IMG]

I've also wanted to experiment with 3d printing over at Shapeways.com

[​IMG]

Its a very cool way to make parts in metal or plastic. You draw them in Sketchup, export and upload the model and 14 days later.

[​IMG]

Your part shows up. Here's the part printed in bronze which can be soldered. ;)

[​IMG]

I was very impressed by the detail.

[​IMG]

The part is about 3/4" high. Unfortunately, it was a little too big.

[​IMG]

Here's prototype #2 in plastic impregnated with aluminum powder.

[​IMG]

Side by side comparison with prototype #1. I need to tweak the design again to take the 3mm threaded insert.

[​IMG]

So that's all that I have for now. I've got mixed feeling about my progress. Not exactly how I wanted to put the blocks together but I'll take the results.

Next up is the GPU block. It'll be a little more challenging. I'll post some flame thrower pics next time around. :) More soon…

Thanks for staying tuned in and many thanks to my sponsors!

Bitspower
    [​IMG]

Galaxy
    [​IMG]

HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

Nutman and Waynio like this.
  13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

The attention to detail on this project is from another world. Respect

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

OMG ... this is like playing lego or mecano games but the adult version oO. This is freaking awesome man ! I wish I had your skills.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The mobo block looks great, nicely done Mach & 3d printing is crazy :D on the close ups I was thinking they were much bigger sized pieces but are pinky tip sized :lol: the detail you can cram into such a small piece is amazing. +rep

I love how this is all just natural colours of the materials.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

3d printing now too? I think that only leaves stained glass work.
    Awesome work, as always.:D

17. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks AnG3L! Unfortunately I only get back from that world every few months:D

Thanks GuilleAcoustic, its only time man... a lot of time :lol:

Thanks Waynio, I very much like the look of the bronze. I'd like to find someone who plate that color for the exterior of the case but I may have to resort to powder coating instead.

Thanks Cheaps! No, no stained glass for this one. I'd still like to try a blown glass reservoir though, maybe the next mod...in a few years :thumb:

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

This is frikkin' insane - I'd give +10 rep, but can only give one.

PLUS: I didn't realise you could 3D print bronze that can be soldered? How does THAT work? Isn't all 3D prints plastics of some kind?

19. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks Nutman! This explains the whole process. Even cooler after knowing how it works.

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Whoa, that's witchcraft, man.

I want door handles like those - only with aliens instead of sea horses. ;)