1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Blue Horizon - "MOTY" Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 8 Jul 2010.

1. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Aren't there special linux versions to run a cnc software ? I mean, hard real time isn't windows main strength...

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Maybe I've never looked into, although it is quite amazing just how much faster windows is once all the stuff is disabled, its like having an SSD it boots up crazy fast :)

3. tipz69

tipz69 What's a Dremel?

Use a charge pump circuit. If the pc stalls the drivers are stopped

4. JA12

JA12 What's a Dremel?

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

That's true. You can trim down Windows to have more responsive system, I've done that myself in the past to use it in virtual machines. If that would actually help in this, you would still go for Linux route because you can make Linux boot in less than 3 seconds without SSD or hibernation. Instant-on Linux environment in motherboards (Splashtop, Asus ExpressGate) boots in about 5s.

But it's not that kind of a problem. It's about I/O latency. In CNC controller it's more of a "delay between sent control command and actual pulse in the output". Hardware has its role in this but the operating system and software also has to work towards low latency or it will always be high. In open loop control (stepper motors, no feedback) the controller sends step/dir commands and it has to send them fast because typical steppers have to receive 200 pulses to rotate once (1.8 deg/step) and there are more than one steppers.

So less latency means more pulses. For example if you have 500ms latency it's 2 pulses/s and with 50ms latency you can have 20 pulses/s. Lower latency results as faster moving machine.

High latency is also why you don't usually see USB port used as output port in these controllers. USB is fast but not when you wan't to send bits and bytes fast one at a time.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2011
  5. riekmaharg2

Thanks for the info, but for now I'm sticking with a new motherboard which shouldn't need a fan directly over the heatsinks or a waterblock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a I5 2500K 3.3Ghz so I can use the internal GPU when not playing games to save power:

[​IMG]

And a 6Gpbs sata 60GB SSD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also finished the bottom part of the pump, by filling in the LED's/wires and I painted the inside with rubber paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bare metal bit around the edge is where the acrylic slots into I'll then seal it in with polyurethane rubber:

[​IMG]

I coated the outlet by pouring through some liquid polyurethane rubber as its sticky and leaves a perfect layer as it pours through:

[​IMG]

I've sent off the rest of the pump to be anodised as well as the rad so hopefully next week the whole case will be pieced together :)

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Yes I'm first!

Wow. I almost always start a post with wow. wow. Nice work. That mobo looks huge... Or the CPU is tiny lol. That res will be awesome!

7. riekmaharg2

Its just a full size ATX, I was thinking of getting an mATX one but they don't often have two PCI-E slots for the same cheap price

8. Razer2007

So that will go into the case? You gonna make a waterblock for this one too?

9. riekmaharg2

Yeah I designed it for full ATX, motherboards are probably only gonna get smaller but I thought I might as well make it full ATX just in case micro ATX dies out for any reason. Na I think this one should be fine without as the stock heatsinks only have small surface area so if I stick on some bigger ones all should be good with the air going past to get through the PSU :)

10. Razer2007

No custom waterblock ? [​IMG]

11. riekmaharg2

If I did it would have to be two separate ones because of the msata port in the center, I also think it should look better with a less complicated water cooling system as the case is designed to minimize the visible messy bits like tubes and wires. What do you reckon?

12. Razer2007

I see what you mean with needing to have it two blocks, but IMHO, tubes aren't messy bits. If done right (Which I'm sure you can) It can make a mod better. Making custom blocks to go with that orgasmic res of yours, will just put the cherry on the cherry one the cherry on the cake. It's up to you, but custom blocks are awesome. And the risk is bigger. And won't it void the warranty? But won't it be awesome!!

13. riekmaharg2

Lol :), Thats a good point I've never thought about that, it probably will do with homemade blocks, I could also get something like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-hr-09-mosfet-heatpipe-cooler-(type4)

14. Razer2007

yeah that could also look nice, but not as much bling as WC'ing. Still a more custom look that Gigabyte's heatsinks.

15. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I had to laugh at that face :hehe:

I quite like the idea of a clean look, with that heatsink...

16. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

ooo components :D we're gonna see this beauty assembled soon it seems, schweeeet!

17. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Assembly? Soon? Now I just have to bring my beers and snacks!!! ;)

18. riekmaharg2

Yeah I'll assemble it with a after market heatsink and see what it looks like then we can decide on whether WCing would look better

Yep, so long as ChilledPC get a move on and anodise the parts, their not the fastest of companies, takes them days just to reply to emails, maybe their just always really busy.

While I wait for the anodising, I've started work on the SATA cables. I eventually found somewhere to buy these sata connectors which have both the power and data connectors together so the first job was to chop the power part off:

[​IMG]

Leaving me with just the data half:

[​IMG]

I then soldered the wires onto the connectors at an angle so they will travel neatly behind the SATA power connector:

[​IMG]

I did this while the wires were through the MB tray:

[​IMG]

Here's the other end of the cables, they will be pulled through just the right amount so they fit perfectly from HDD to motherboard:

[​IMG]

I then coated each one in JB weld to protect and hold the wires in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will keep adding JB weld until I get a neat block shape then I'll file it and paint it to look like a normal connector.

Waynio and Livio like this.
  19. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

ahahahahaha!! I like custom wires more than custom blocks!
    I don't know why I just do!! everything is looking superb keep them coming!

20. peteski

peteski long live the pc

looking good love the conecters :rock: :rock: :rock: