1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3 noob questions thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by YEHBABY, 5 Nov 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I haven't found a way yet, it sucks when you see something you want to read but just missed it

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

no. there isnt.

no. ur not foolish.

yes. it sucks.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Zhinto had this up on Twitter yesterday; a fan-made UI for BF3. Looks pretty damn good. It would be nice if they implemented something like this.

[​IMG]

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i like that, especially like able to read the chatbox without sending anything myself. com-rose seems like a much needed change. especially the call for medic and ammo parts.

but with current chatbox, i feel it's okay. if use the text size seen there, it will be WAY too small. rather, BF3 need to implement a resolution independent font. i've seen screenshots with current text box taking up half the screen, while it is tiny on my 2560x1440.

in fact, it almost feels like playing Hardcore with 2560x1440 :D, all HUD elements are tiny, hardly noticeable, around corners of my screen.

5. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

I've found that if you are shooting directly behind you'll do minimal damage. Lining up a shot so that you are shooting perpendicular to them is how you'll do maximum damage, particularly if firing on the top of the plane. Hope I've explained myself well enough, added some pictures to better illustrate me point.

Bad positioning:
    [​IMG]

Good positioning:
    [​IMG]

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Better than what we have now but I'd rather have the chat upper left, kill feed upper right. Also, when you chat all it should show which team is talking, blue=your team, red=enemy team

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

So I've found that the belt speed spec helps a lot when shooting down other jets. Using it plus the tip Odini gave me, and some better flying skills (practice lol) I was able to take down a jet almost instantly (only happened once so far though :p). I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now though. I have the choice between the super air radar upgrade (shows a really long range minimap that will give me the positions of enemy jets so extremely useful in dogfights), or the belt speed upgrade that allows me to shoot jets down more easily.

So, basically what I'm asking is: What do you guys use as your jet specs?

Right now, I have IR flairs (of course), the rocket pod, and either the air radar or the belt speed specs. I need to play more and decide which I like better =/.

8. wyx087

air radar + fire extinguisher + rocket pod (will be replaced with guided missile when unlocked)

air radar helps during dog fights, i pretty much keep my eye on it except when shooting minigun. fire extinguisher can foul your enemy, and it doesn't require you to keep worry about locking sound, just get shot, use it and fly away for a few seconds.

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Interesting about the extinguisher. I thought about what you said before, but I thought that it might be a bit risky to do that when another jet has you locked since jets carry 2 heat seekers on board. I think 2 heat seekers will take you down, am I correct? If it does not then it's not as risky of a strategy as I think it is. It is more useful since it will save your jet in any situation where your HP is below 50% (as opposed to flairs which only save you from heat seekers), but I don't know if the heat seeker risk from other jets is worth the risk of using it =/. I just unlocked it so I'll try lol. It seems like most people are moving away from heat seekers in jets anyway :p.

10. wyx087

2 jet/chopper heat seaker gets you down to around 8%.

but the real danger is the stingers (or whatever RU equivalent) i often get killed by them while the jet seem undamaged. they really need to fix this bug.

11. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

You are effin kidding me! That has to be one of the best kept BC2 secrets ....ever!

Gonna try using that one tonight.

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

not sure what u meant by "looking where the bullet went".

if you keep the zoom button zoomed, you can keep it... zoomed. to see if ur bullet hits or not.

semi-auto can keep it zoomed until reload. bolt action needs a straight pull to make consecutive shots without getting out of zoom.

nothing.... new? :worried:

13. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I havent played Bad Company 2, but think Max Payne, when sniping in slo-mo, it followed the round as it hits an enemy, im assuming its the same thing.

I hate that zoom until reload, dunno if i can be bothered to get straight pull, i may stick with the semi autos, quite enjoy the MOD with Acog on hardcore maps lol
    I mean i understand it, I just find it harder to snipe with, by time you reload an downscope your target moved!

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  14. wyx087

here's a noob question: how do i remove BF3 Beta from my Origin games list?

15. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

So stingers will actually 1hko a jet? Didn't know that. I just tried using the extinguisher a couple minutes ago. It was kinda buggy (not the extinguisher)...

I let 1 missile hit me, and for some reason, I died but my jet survived o_O. I watched it keep flying not on fire or anything on my killcam... I didn't even get to see who killed me, I think it was a suicide. I got in the jet again, and the next time someone shot 1 heat seeker at me, my jet blew up instantly. No warning sounds nothing, just a sudden beeping and a boom and I died. I got in the jet again, and this time a chopper fired 2 heat seekers at me. One hit me and did damage, but the second one made me suicide again with my jet still flying... For the final time I got in the jet and the same chopper fired at me, and this time I actually got to 8% and used the extinguisher. At that point, I got in the jet again and as I was taking off my game froze and crashed.

If not for all those glitchy missiles making me suicide, the extinguisher would've been great. On another note, my game's been acting weird lately. For the past 3 or 4 times I've played I've had this consistent crash cycle going like this:

1) Start origin, go to battlelog, and try to join a multiplayer server
    2) Game instantly crashes and I don't even get a launch
    3) Try same server again, this time the map loads and I'm able to spawn. I play for 5-10 minutes and my game crashes.
    4) Try the same server again (this pattern occurs regardless of which server I choose since I've chosen different servers when I login but not between this pattern), this time I'm usually able to play for at least 20 minutes before my game crashes.
    5) After the 3rd crash, if I try the server I've been trying again, I can't load the deploy screen, and all I get is a black screen with a blinking box.
    6) If I try a different server however, I'm usually able to play on that for 1-3 hours (after about 3 hours I get some random crash or I get tired before then and quit).

16. wyx087

i think it depends on how the missile hits, i don't know, it's indeed very buggy and require a bit of luck.

17. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I killed some noob in a jet using the dumb rockets fired from the rocket pod xD. Made me lol, I'll miss those things when I get the AtG missiles.

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

That mostly sounds familiar to me. I worked through these steps:

1) Sound driver update - and possible conflict that I've heard some bits about this between onboard sound and nVidia cards.
    2) uPnP fowling BF3 network connections - this has the effect of disconnects after 5-10 minutes. disabling the feature on router and machine works.
    3) Reinstall Origin - this resolved for me the initialisation and black screen problems. literally reinstalled the same version, and retained the settings games etc. no difficulties - I was surprised.

I can't say it's perfect - with about 8 hours play now it only goes down at the end of rounds, and only a couple of times

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

There's also an option in the menu 'Open Screen Adjust' to further push your hud back to the edges of your screen, to dismiss clutter in game!

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Idk, I can't do it either. Looks like its stuck there till the end of time o.0 It's to do with their account system not being fully fixed yet, some things work well (like Origin automatically finding my account for 2142) but others dont.