1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Help :/ 1st build is a little "hot"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fleck, 12 Nov 2011.

1. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

well iv just completed building my 1st pc, but the cpu cooler that came with the case and psu (in a bundle) just isnt up to the job, just on the internet the cpu is running around 40C and the system temp is normally around 35C

my system:
    silencio 550 case
    gx650w psu
    hyper tx3 cooler
    Intel CPU Core i5 Unlocked & unleashed 2500K
    Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
    1333mhz ddr3 memory (4x4GB)
    msi gtx 560 ti twin frozr
    wdc green 1 TB 7,200rpm
    Samsung SH-S222AB SATA re-writer
    Samsung 50" plasma 3D TV

im currently running the silencio case without the side pannel to help cooling

what cooler would you reccomend me to use for this system

baring in mind i havent overclocked the cpu or gpu yet but i am planning on it
    iv read through bloody_pete's watercooling log and i am very tempted to water cool my cpu but the prices on water cooling are abit too high for me right now unless someone can point me in the right direction, i would possibly build my own resovoir maybe to fit in a 5.25" drive bay

i dont really know where to start lol please help

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The 4 populated RAM slots could be an issue with any other cooler. Can you take a picture for us? What sort of money were you looking to spend? Probably get away with a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced if those are 'Low Profile' DDR3 memory. Not easy to install but a very capable cooler.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd check the mount of the cooler and make sure the TIM is applied properly :) WC'ing isn't for the faint hearted :)

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The Drak Rock heatsinks don't need low profile memory, they are fine with standard memory modules. They just might have a problem if they have heatsinks that are higher than the memory PCB.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Isn't that what I said! :thumb:

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

There are memories that come with retarded heatspreaders, then there are the "normal memories" that aren't higher than the standard PCB, and then there are "low profile" memories:

[​IMG]

I suppose this caused the confusion...

And to me it sounds like you've done something wrong - granted the TX3 isn't really a top of the line model, but it should definitely keep a box standard 2500 cooler than that..

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

SB CPU's shouldn't require massive amounts of cooling to keep them cool, even when overclocked.

I would be looking into Case airflow and HSF re-seating before spending any more money.

The temps do seem a little high (what are they under CPU load - video encoding using Handbrake is a good real world guide) but that could be down to case placement in your room and current ambient temperature (do you have the heating on?).

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

[​IMG]

That looks 'Low Profile' to me! ;)

9. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

No. It may be what you intended to say, but you said he would be OK if his memory was low profile. I merely added that standard memory is also OK. I use a Dark rock Pro, so am talking from experience (I have standard memory, but can't fit the cooler until I finish building the water loop). Of course, it is helpful that others have elaborated on it to show the difference :)

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

A lot of coolers come with a bit of clear plastic on their base to protect them. Did you remove that? Secondly your temps are not high enough to worry about and running your case with out the side panel could actually increase your temps.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

What are the ambient temps? I don't see anything wrong with the temps here at all.
    Try overclocking it before you buy a new cooler.
    As long as the temps aren't getting into a range where it will damage the cpu then you are fine.

12. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

ok thankyou ill check the cooler is seated right tomorrow when im home and run a high benchmark to test load temps and no usually the heater is off but the silencio case hasnt got a very good air flow,

sorry im a noob lol what sort of temps should i be avoiding i.e damaging temps? 70C?

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The CPU will throttle down and just turn itself off if it gets too hot so you wont damage it. Hitting 70c during a stress test is normal.

14. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

ok i will run the stress test and post back with the results lets see, i may try overclocking cpu and gpu before and after the stress test and see what the differences are :)

15. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

ALSO,
    sorry for double post forgot to add this, i tested my pc.....left it just downloading on bit torrent so basically idling and the temps sat at cpu:24-26C and system at 28-30C room temp i didnt check but it was quite mild

16. The Protocol

The Protocol What's a Dremel?

Get a twin-tower cooler if that's too hot for you but my 1090t runs at 38*c stock in a 30*c room with a D-14 so I don't know how you can call this hot...

17. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

to be honest i thought it was hot but i guess i was quite wrong, this was my 1st build so im not that experianced on what you class as hot on idle and whats too hot etc...

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

What are you using to check temps, as that looks very low to me.

My Q6600 sits at idle at about 38 - 40 degrees in a warm room (probs 24-26 degrees).

19. fleck

fleck What's a Dremel?

im using TouchBIOS to monitor my temps currently, a utility which came on disc with the gigabyte motherboard,
    system temp 34C, CPU temp 30C this is in a room at 18-20 degrees while running bit torrent and google chrome....on facebook, music videos on youtube and on here

20. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Again I am looking at the reported temperatures and can see nothing wrong, I think my 2600k idles around 35c -40c.