1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

I was never really looking forward to this game but I went out on got it today, The graphics and settings are beautiful.

But..... I just can't get into these single player rpg's. Same with Fallout3, What a terrible game.

I really want to play and explore the land, Fight dragons, Pick pocket people and kill Women hunters and then regret it after (You know what im talking about, That women hunter at the start, Shame on you!) But I can't get into it, It feels like a I'm building myself up but have no one to show off too. If only this game was an MMO.

BTW does the combat get any better? I've gone shield and one hander.

Good luck to all.

2. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

That one gave me trouble, I ended up hiding on the upper level and throwing Fire Runes at his feet every chance I got. A very long game of explosive peek-a-boo. Wouldn't really know where to start for melee.

3. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Two more weeks and I can get this....:'(

4. Durd

Durd Minimodder

Join the companions and do a good number of there missions, then you'll be able to take more or less anyone on in combat ;)

Or, level up a bit, and sneak with a bow and arrow, or combat if you're good enough.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

This is a common comment, but Bethesda have always said that these games will not be online. It's about what you like I suppose. I loved the Fallout games and spent hundreds of hours in them - there was something about the solitude that fitted well with the atmosphere of the game. There are already a plethora of MMORPGS out there and I think it would be unwise of Bethesda to venture into that market.

I have been playing games since I built my first computer in 1979 and for years adventure games were a solitary experience. Then came the MMORPGs which were great, but then everything was online - I quite like the fact I can escape to my bubble and adventure in peace again!

Each to their own I guess!

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

13:37, heh :)

7. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Anyone else seen one or two mammoths and other animals falling through the sky in the distance? :D

I seem to incapable of continuing on more quests. I'm too busy testing ingredients on myself. Addictive! I made some nice jewellery for the first time too. Is that all amethysts, rubies etc are good for?

8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

:waah: shops here still don't have it in stock!

:sigh:

9. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Do you not have access to Steam there?

10. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

oh, I have steam, and many games that use steam. What I don't have is a good internet line - so a 5Gb download will take about 3-4 weeks :wallbash:. Also remember that in Namibia (due to the national data pipeline is not exactly "modern" *cough*) our lines are seperated into personal ad business. Long-story-short: my line only works from 7pm to 7am

I am assuming (never bothered to check) that steam takes credit cards and not PayPal or equivalent. Cause if its only the latter then I can't in any case due to any of them working in Southern Africa (As the minecraft people will recall from my mini-rant :grr:)

...And before anyone asks: Amazon .com or .uk won't sell me any games as it offends local businesses.

PS: If you want to know how slow Namibian shops are: the main branch of Windhoek for a shop chain only got their copies of Battlefield 3 yesterday!!! :sigh:

11. DwarfKiller

No longer necessary, I was still a mageling at the time. How times have changed since then.

Pretty much, they sell great once enchanted. Might need a couple of gems for random quests though.

I haven't seen any Mammoth falling, I've seen one get thrown into the air. It looked like the Giant had done it, especially since it landed on top of the other Mammoth.

12. Durd

Durd Minimodder

What level are you guys at? I'm 28.. :worried:

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

17 I think? Haven't played it for a few days, after having spent around 11 hours solid on it, I'm limiting myself so I don't waste a week on it.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Last time I bought something on Steam I used Paypal to do it, they put it in a while back. I had the same annoyance a while ago too, I didn't have a mastercard/visa and it was very annoying to try and get games off Steam.

I just bought the house in errr. the "first" main town (I'm really terrible at remembering the names of some of these places as a lot of them have very similar sounding wintery names) and pimped that up fully.

In general I love the entire game. I didn't like Oblivion so much, it was a good game, but compared to Morrowind, it was like someone had been told by some fans what Morrowind was and tried to make a sequel. My one grip at the moment is the pacing seems a bit rushed to me.
    Such as the Companion quests, I have to swing at a guy with a sword, then go punch someone, then some guy takes me to a dungeon to get some bit of axe with the big revelation of the companions being warewolves, then I kill some trolls, then they want to make me a werewolf.[/spolier]. They throw you into the epic part of the story very quickly.

What I liked about Morrowind is it started off very low key. You turned up as a prisoner on a ship. You talked to some census guy working for the empire, some guy gives you a package and says, here's a package I want you to deliver. It's fantastically done, you start off with a very humble beginning, little skill, and it slowly built up into this amazing epic tale.

You have so many factions vying for power, each with their own complicated quest chains. Things like the fighters guild you have factions within the faction and you effectively decide the course the fighters guild would take. It was literally impossible to get to the top of every faction. I haven't played enough Skyrim to see how it turns out in that, I know you have to choose between the Imperials and the rebels, but in Oblivion it was possible to to pretty much everything with one character.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2011
  15. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

First of the elder scrolls games and I'm enjoying it. Pure 2 hander and heavy armor, nothing quite like wrecking people in 1-2 shots. I'm enjoying the game, though all the world travelling is a bit annoying when you initially don't have the fast travel points. I think the game has a lot of replay ability initially just because of the different skills and magic. I'm sure if you beat the game and continued to level and stuff though you'd be able to max out a lot of stuff, I just assume it would be very very time consuming.

Not sure how many hours I'm in, but I've done more side quests than main quests and I'm enjoying it. I wish the horse moved faster though, I find it's not all that much faster than just running, but maybe that's just because of the heavy armor. I've killed 2 or 3 dragons so far, and I've found one while in a town but when I tried to hunt it down I couldn't find it. Oh well.

16. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

i heard that item levelling is still in Skyrim?
    Does this mean we are gonna run into poor roadside bandits with top end game gear on again?
    Only thing that has put me off so far.

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

A few screenshots for you:

Dark Brotherhood gear with epic headgear.
    [​IMG]

Nom, atmosphere:
    [​IMG]

18. DwarfKiller

Forty-something. My first pure Mage build on any TES game and it's a god damned wrecking ball.
    Have barely touched the main story, have only explored the centre and North East of the map... haven't even been to over half of the towns/cities.
    Mages level fast, I've done about the same hours as my brother and I've been roughly double his level at every step.

I just wish it wouldn't crash so much, just lost half an hour of exploring.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

F5 is your friend - mine is almost worn out!

20. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

My main problem so far is that it seems so much more natural to use a combination of different weapons and magic, so that my skills are rather thinly spread out.

It is good fun launching a few sneak attack arrows then a few gouts of flame/lightening and finally running in with two swords though....