1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU My Corsair AX850 has ceased to exist!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

After 7 months hard service my Corsair AX850 has finally died! :waah:

Tried an alternative PSU in my system, my trusty old and loud Enermax Galaxy 850W and everything appears to work fine, so that's a reflief. The Corsair had been playing up recently so I'm glad it appears to have flat out failed. Now time to ride the rapids of a SCAN RMA! I plan to test the Corsair AX850 in my test rig to confirm it's completely borked but one question. From those who have processed PSU RMA with SCAN, is it really necessary to send all the modular cables back? If I can I'd rather get away with sending the Motherboard and CPU lead rather than tear down my entire system since the PSU leads are all cable tied and tidied away! :D

2. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Can't comment with regards to the modular cables but I recently returned a Corsair CX430v2 to Scan for RMA. It was in my brother's system that I built for him and while he was just browsing the net, there was a 'pop' and both him and my dad said you could see smoke coming from the system. Took everything apart and had a look and as I suspected, it seemed to be coming from the PSU. You could even smell the familiar old electrical burning smell if you put your nose to the vent on the PSU and I even thought I could see burn marks around one of the caps. As I said, got in touch with Scan for RMA, they picked up the PSU promptly etc. only for me to receive an email the following day saying that they found the unit to be 'not faulty.' Obviously, I emailed back pleading my case and received a reply saying they would 'look into the matter' so as far as I know it's still being tested. How it can be found not faulty is beyond me - I certainly wouldn't be putting it back in any system I owned!

3. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Well they won the best RMA award from Custom PC, so they must be good right ? ;=)

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Disconnected the main PSU and had a peak through the fan grill. I can see an excess of the white goo you typically find around capacitors surrounding one of them to the extent that it appears to have been pushed away from the circuit board. Looks like a manufacturing fault to my eyes and after seeing that I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it in another system!

5. LA3195

LA3195 What's a Dremel?

Don't send it to Scan! RMA it with Corsair directly, I've rma'd my hx650 twice now directly with them turn about is about 10 days if they're sending you a new replacement psu which they have done on both occasions.

good luck.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

That psu comes with 7 year warranty. Send it to corsair.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

After 6 months I thought it was the manufacturer you contacted, not the reseller?

8. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Do you have to pay to send the PSU to Norway or wherever Corsair are based? I'm pretty sure I looked into this instead of RMA'ing to Scan, but it worked out pretty expensive! Could be wrong though!

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yes, a work colleague had to do this. And he had to pay postage to get it to the Netherlands. Obviously Corsair pay return postage.

10. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Some companies want all the cables so they can check they haven't been modded, which is more common on modular supplies. If it's modded they will say you broke it somehow, just looking for an excuse not to replace it at their expense.
    On the shipping side I picked xfx because they had a UK RMA base, while being made by seasonic so thought should be good quality. It did die recently and I shipped it to them rather than scan and they specifically said not to send any extra cables back with it. So I now have two sets of modular cables as they sent some back with the new PSU.

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Tbh I would contact scan first its only 6 months old so I reckon its down to them, I would phone them its much quicker that way.

12. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I sent my HX1000 to the Netherlands last week - cost £40 but i got a brand new HX1050 back so cant complain.

If you contact Scan they will probably pick it up for free and return it to Corsair for you, whereas if you contact Corsair they might make you pay postage.

I did argue with Corsair about the £40 postage but supposedly because I was returning it under their extended warranty (>1 year standard warranty) the postage was my responsibility.

As you are returning it withing 1 year of purchase you should not have to pay the return postage.

Good luck! :thumb:

EDIT: I only sent the PSU back to Corsair - no cables or origonal packaging.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
  13. LA3195

LA3195 What's a Dremel?

Forgot to add that if sending directly to Corsair they aren't bothered about modular cables, or at least have never mentioned me not sending them back when returning two PSU's recently. Not sure about Scan though.

14. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Antec didn't want the cables from my Q850 I sent back. They told me to send the faulty one to
    them and they would send a new one out.
    They also refunded the postage I paid.
    Extremely quick turn around. Sent out on Monday had my new one on the Weds.
    Which means they sent out the new one before getting the faulty PSU. Thumbs up for them.

15. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

That's the only issue I had with returning my unit to Corsair. I worked it out to be around £40, but that's around the same cost as the CX 430 so I didn't see the point for me!

16. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I'd personally RMA direct to Corsair but thats just me, there must be cheaper alternatives in posting to the Netherlands?

Good luck.

17. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

The cheapest option is parcel force at £32 with no insurance or signature on arrival. For £40 you get insured up to £100 and it's tracked and signed for. Due to the weight and destination its not cheap!!!

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive sent my hx650 to scan and i didn't send the cables.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm processing the RMA with SCAN since I can do very cheap UK postage, fully tracked. Asked specifically for clarification about the modular cables since it would be a pain to untie everything I've cable tied to my Fractal R3 case! I hope it's possible to just send the unit itself back to SCAN or at the very least include the Motherboard and CPU cable.

20. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

Just to let you know, when I contacted Scan about RMA'ing my PSU they arranged a next day collection of my PSU with DPD so I didn't end up paying a penny for it to be collected. I was very impressed with this, that's fantastic service IMO.