1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Basically, Bernie isn't happy until he is absolutely sure they will line his pockets with cash.

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Shame to. Texas was looking to be an interesting track. I'm not too excited about New Jersey and yet another boring street track.

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

QFT. Even reading the article with an open mind it's clear that it's Bernie being arsey about having the money before any considerations about the race itself.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes and no. From the outside looking in sure, he's all about the money not the racing - otherwise we'd still have the BBC doing F1 without Sky. Money is the double edged sword for getting the coverage and investment we get vs other great motorsports like WRC, etcetc

From a business perspective, he is extremely astute in reducing risk. He holds the keys to a massive commercial enterprise with many countries (not just business') wanting F1 on their turf and he has to make sure the event gets put on, on schedule, otherwise the collective business interests lose faith and drop investment. You know F1 it takes an exceptional situation for it not to happen (Bahrain), and that feeling breeds the security required for huge commercial investments.

So he has every right to say "if you're behind and if you're not committing to your contracts on time then we will drop you because there are plenty of other choices". He doesn't have to bust his balls for anyone as it's a pure excess supply, high demand, limited places per season situation. If the supply of tracks and interest was much less, he'd be sweating less over the cash and more on fixing it.

5. Canon

Canon Reformed

I reckon he also has one hell of a taste for coke. :hehe: (not libelous as there is a likelyhood I am talking about the soft drinks beverage)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wasn't that Max Mosely? :eeek:

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Oh yeah, and the two of them never crossed paths in a seedy club toilet. :lol: Pigs don't just fly they travel in time.

edit: just to be clear, I have heard 'seedy club toilets' are the place to enjoy an ice cold beverage, nothing more.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Only if you can do the ice-cube trick whist suc....wait, wut?! :worried:

9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Robert Kubica won't be in a Lotus at the beginning of next season: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15853406.stm
    Sounds like they're expecting him back at some point mid season, which raises the question of who will be prepared to drive for half a season? Senna or Grosjean?

Also, HRT have announced that Pedro de la Rosa will be one of their race drivers for 2012: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15825993.stm

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Unfortunately I fear Senna will be out on his arse unless Grosjean gets a better offer - Boullier was rather in favour of a fellow Frenchie not so long ago, and Senna's performances this season haven't really been spectacular (although the car is exactly the opposite of that too). Petrov is a safe seat because of his sponsor package.

Sad weekend coming up - probably Rubens last race in F1, because let's be honest, Williams need a younger, more motivated driver who brings sponsorship, whoever that might be. That, and an end to on-track F1 action until February! :(

Last edited: 23 Nov 2011
  11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Vitaly is also not as safe as people assume, I'd reckon... He's not been showing great form (though - as stated the car hasn't either) and with that recent rant about Renault (which in spite of it being against his contract Renault said "is cool")... I am not convinced.

The question is do you play it safe with a mediocre somewhat expereinced driver that's not showing growth (and himself stated that he couldn't learn well from Kubica) or do you take a chance on a kid that yet has to show whether there's anything but potential there...

That being said - It seems like HRT need an oldeer driver to set up the car properly... maybe they can hire Barichello as well... one thing I'm pretty sure of is that Rubens won't be driving a williams next year...

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So thursdays mean that we're one day away from on-track action, and lots of stuff going on again.

With overtaking not being an issue at Interlagos, there is only going to tbe one 600m DRS zone, starting just after turn 3.

Also, Brazilian Felipe Massa has advised Rubens to retire rather than pay for a drive.

Meanwhile, McLaren says reports of them looking at Honda engines are rubbish. They are keen to continue their partnership with Mercedes.

And the last race of the season may or may not turn out to be great.
    James Allen has some insights, as per usual. In short:
    Soft and Mediums, as we had before, but the soft is a new compund, said to last longer and handle temperatures better. Effectively, this brings them closer to one another in terms of performance. This could also backfire for some teams, notably Ferrari, who've not really been at home on the white-rimmed mediums.
    Weather man says showers on Saturday and Sunday, which can make Interlagos quite fun to watch (2009, for example). It would also affect the teams in terms of strategy, unless the race is all-wet.
    70-odd percent chance of a saftey car, though often on lap 1. That and the new tyres might cause teams to try to one-stop. Expect to see split strategies.
    DRS should further help out a circuit that already doesn't have an issue with overtaking.

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Good to see Mark winning, finally he should have something to smile about - although he didn't look particularly happy to win! Disappointing end for Hamilton with a broken gearbox, but good result for Jenson on the podium.

Goodbye F1 2011, if Vettel continues his dominance I frankly won't care about the Sky sports deal anyway - because I won't be watching much of it. :( Still, at least with highlights if I do watch it I won't have to waste my whole Sunday. :)

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't know whether you all already know but I've just seen which races BBC are broadcasting live next year for the first time. Not exactly pleased with most the line up. China, Spain, Monaco, Valencia, Britain, Begium, Singapore, South Korea, Brazil.

Spain, Monaco, Valencia and South Korea are all non events, and I've never been a huge fan of China either.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2011
  15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Aye, some of the line up isn't great, however, I hope i'm right in reading that for the new Sky Sports F1 HD channel, you don't have to have the Sky Sports Subscription to receive. If you have the HD Package, that's good enough. If you don't have HD, then you will need the sports package.

http://f1.sky.com/?DCMP=BAC-251111#our-new-channel

I so hope i've interoperated that right.

Sam

wolfticket likes this.
  16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yep, looks like that's exactly what it states Sam. The F1 channel will be free to both Sports subscribers and HD subscribers, a welcome relief for a lot of people i think as most people assumed a sports subsription would be required.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I am just hoping that Supsersport (South african sports channel) make a deal with sky (like they have with the Beeb right now) so that we see the rest of the races at all in this end of the world.

As for the race: It was going to go one of two ways:
    A red bull 1-2 borefest or a edge-of-the-seat nailbiter with rain and safety cars.
    While there was some good racing in the midfield (and sometimes further forward as well), most of it was a bit boring, and I feel a bit cheated.

Either way some assorted thoughts:
    Pity about Hamilton's gearbox. with the split strategies, it could have become interesting at McLaren. Not a particularly nice way to finish the season.
    Well done for Webber. His race was flawless, and the last 3 fastest laps were well done, showing just how dominant the Red Bull was all season.
    Senna/Schumacher I agree with MB/DC on... I would've called that a racing incident. Both drivers screwed up a bit there, in my eyes.
    I am surprised that nothing came off the Massa-Doughnuts or the Virgin-Wheel... normally a wheel bouncing like that would come with harsh punishments and fines.
    Jenson seemed to really enjoy the last few laps, and had the gap to Seb been a bit smaller, he might have broken Vettel's gearbox's back. I am fairly sure that Seb would have rather broken the gearbox than risk losing another place.
    Sutil came out of nowhere there... having been mediocre at best, his driving was actually good in Brazil.
    Also demonstrated quite clearly was the discrepancy between the leading 3 and the rest, with 6th place and down being +1 lap at least.
    Oh, and I had to chuckle when Schumacher ended up being the first man to get lapped after his collision.

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Well another season done, lets round up:
    Best of the year - Vettel. Not just because he won but because in such a dominant fashion and thoroughly deserved it. Webbers pace through the year proved that it wasn't just down to Adrian Newey.
    Best of the rest - Button. Showed that he is both a very fast driver in a slower car and also has a really smart head on his shoulders being able to make calls of tyres and strategies which can change races, just look at Canada.
    Best of the B-teams - Lotus. In that lower division they have been utterly untouchable. Every single race has been a case of Virgin and HRT squabbling over the bottom four spots with Lotus occasionally providing a real threat to the midfielders on even terms.
    Best Overtake - Split between Webber and Vettel for me. Vettels crazy blitz around the outside of Alonso at Monza and Webbers utterly insane dive around Alonso through Eau Rouge. If I had to choose one I think it would be Webbers, I had heart in mouth during that thinking 'OMG if you touch you're both dead!'.
    Disappointment of the year - Schumacher. After a year to settle I really thought he'd be a danger to the front runners this year but the car simply wasn't up to the task. Rosberg seemed to get more from it in some cases again but nothing like he did last year. Schuey did, however, five us some fantastic opening laps.
    Surprise package - This goes to the Indian GP. A brilliant track and a great atmosphere surrounding it. A far superior addition than almost any of the recent venues.
    Crybaby Award - Has to be Massa. Admittedly Hamilton was a real contender for this but the difference is that Hamilton would come out and say 'After watching the replay....' or 'Now that I've seen it from another angle.....' or something similar he would admit that it was his mistake (even when some don't think it was), apologise and move on. When it finally came down to Massa getting the penalty he still went to the interview whinging and bitching 'Well I think the stewards are wrong waah waah!'. You're too slow Felippe baby and have been, I think, since you were world champion for thirty seconds but are still hung up on that fact.
    Idiot award - Shared between Hamilton and Maldonado for me. That Spa incident still sticks out in my mind as not being looked at in enough detail, it is blatantly clear (to me, everyone will have their own opinion of course) that Maldonado took a swipe at his nose. Hamilton is in this because of many idiotic mistakes (Canada being the main stupidity, you don't get that close to anyone when you can't see, let alone you're team mate) BUT without him really pushing and 'racing' some of this years races would have had literally nothing to make them worth watching and that is worth remembering.

Looking forward to next year. The bottom teams have broken that 2 year window that EJ was talking about and could start to really pick up speed. I'm predicting some surprising driver changes at a few teams and i think that Di Resta could find himself in a much faster seat after such a good rookie season. I hope that the US race gets sorted out, it would be a shame for such an awesome looking track to be left out. McLaren will be a force to be reckoned with next year, it's their usual pattern of lagging behind for a couple of years and then suddenly storming back to form and the same will go for Ferrari I think or else a lot of people at Maranello will find themselves unemployed, Domenicalli doesn't like losing does he. Really hope at least one of the midfielders raises their game and takes it to the front three, FIndia need to find the performance they had two years ago and Mercedes really should be achieving more.

Been a fun thread this year guys, hope next years has some action as well ;) Canon, it's been a pleasure for the sake of posterity, let's call it a draw :lol:

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

So not being a HD subscriber I'll still need a sports subscription!!!! :duh:
    Bernie can kiss my sweaty plum sack :jawdrop:

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yeah, of course if you don't already subscribe to either it's a bit of a bitch, sorry should have said that. If you don't have an HD TV what's the point of it but if you do it really is worthwhile, David Attenborough makes HD worthwhile all by himself, Frozen Planet has been literally jaw dropping.