1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car smoking ban

Discussion in 'General' started by erratum1, 16 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

The British Medical Association (BMA) is calling on ministers to ban smoking in cars.

What do you think? Is this a good idea?

The BMA are concerned with the concentration of smoke and the passengers (children) breathing it in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15751475

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Makes sense to me.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can't we just ban smoking entirely? :D

4. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Well, you saw what happened to The Dude.

*Whistles CCR tune*

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it's a taxi, van or other type of work vehicle [i think company cars come under the umbrella too] you can't smoke... may as well make it all rather than some...

however what i find funny about the whole 'lets ban smoking' and to some extent booze and cars... the govt clearly wants you to buy cigs/booze/petrol [for the various tax revenues]... but actually want to smoke/drink/drive? no... can't do that it's unhealthy/dangerous/bad for the environment

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

People always think inside a box. Now this is why I would want smoking band in vehicles;

Let's say you are overtaking me in my tanker. As you do this, the passenger lobs his/her *** out the window, the *** lands beside the opening of one of my chemical pipes which has only just been used for fuel. Now all the vapours would ignite and start a fire in the pipe and in no time at all would make my vehicle a traveling bomb. Now as this all happens, you would be unaware of what you just did as you would be 200m or so up the road. People just don't think!

Now for those of you that think inside a box;
    I wouldn't want people smoking in a car full of kids, especially with my own daughter in a car full of smokers.

8. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This i was listening on and heard this guy say "I should be allowed to smoke in my own car my daughter does'nt mind me doing it"

Obviously having no idea its not about preference but health risks, Anybody that is willing to put there childs health at risk (even a little bit) just for the sake of a nicotine fix is an idiot in my opinion.

I have no problem with people smoking just keep that **** to yourself i don't want it

There was also the claim that similiarly to phones its a potential hazard when letting one hand of the wheel or dropping it on your leg or something

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I wish people would quit focusing on smoking. Focus on fast food abuse or something. The obesity epidemic is hazardous to my vision.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

coming from a completely selfish point of view,

it'll make buying a second hand car that little bit easier :D

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The way I see it, when I'm alone , it's my car, my lungs and the government can f*ck off !!!

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No, the government can't, because your lungs and other health issue caused by cigaret will cost a fortune at the end, because someone needs to pay your health care bills. Yes it comes from taxes... but that means reduction in service quality to everyone due to a lack of funds because your bills needs to be paid. A couple thousand for you.. now multiply with every other smokers... well... we are in several millions. Stop smoking. It's not good for you, and not good for the other people that lives in your country.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2011
  13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I would be rather driving and have someone coming the other way with a burger in their hand than a cigarette.

Why?

Because if you are about to have a crash and you are holding something, that is, essentially, on fire, are you likely to drop it? No. Its dangerous in more ways than one and actually in all cases dangerous to someone else as well as yourself. Its selfish, its dangerous, Ban it.

14. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

What if that burger was a club sandwich? Now you've got something on fire OR frilly toothpick of death!

15. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Should be banned under the same reasoning as mobile phones, anything that keeps your hands busy for a long duration is just a no no while driving a car.

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I ride a motorbike 90% my time and (this is just my point of view) that when I have close calls with someone not spotting me, they usually have a cigarette in their hand or mouth.

It's an un-necessary distraction with the toads being so busy these days

I doubt it'll work, people still use phones

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would hate to think how much I've paid in the last in taxes in the 30 years of working. One way to look at it, is I'm just getting back some of what I'm owed.

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Agreed. But that doesn't really work in Quebec. People now text messages, and hides when doing so.. so now they REALLY don't look at the roads, or even their speed they are going.
    But us it's on talking on the cell phone without using a hands free device. So it could be that.

19. Canon

Canon Reformed

Precisely! Smokers aren't all halfwits, I wouldn't and see no reason why any other person would have a cigarette in close proximity to children, I would even ask smoker friends if they mind, I don't just walk about with a *** on 24/7.

As for on the road? I'm not on the road right now and doubt I will be for a long time so I guess it doesn't bother me, besides, if I was on a long journey I would be pulling up at service stations for snacks all the time anyway.

Do you have to wear an adult diaper everytime you get into the car?

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

IF this really is getting pushed through then in my opinion they must also ban all forms of audible devices including radios, CD players, mp3 players, phones, sat-navs and also any conversation with any passengers. These could all be labelled as distracting and therefore dangerous to other road users.

This is yet more anti-smoking BS when there really are bigger issues to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.