1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Nov 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

really enjoying the game so far.. have to say it's been a while- since crysis warhead since I've had a buzz playing a game.. used to be daily with quake 2 but I'm too old now for shooters anymore xD so anyways

they did a good job on the lighting at least.. like how much content there is- I'm still on the misc list of quests

check out this blind guy in the cave- I wiped out the bandits in front and when walked in- he's all.. is that you filippe! and the book on the table is blank xD

but it shows a bit of the lighting that does a really good job at keeping you amazed- and that could be the problem.. people are turning the lighting off and can't keep a steady 60 fps with a 8800gt- which probably really blows

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^ :D

Loving it but every now & then I suddenly crash to desktop usually when I haven't saved for a while :lol::duh: it's irritating because I'm getting good high fps with the game maxed, tried changing my bit depth on sound & it happens on any of the settings so may as well keep it at 24bit 48000hz studio quality which is nice :).

Anyway if it weren't doing this I'd probably not manage to pull myself away from it :lol: been a while since I've played a game which is actually too good :D.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I've never played an rpg before this and frankly, its so much more fun than fps. IMO, i prefer good content with average gfx to amazing gfx and rubbish gameplay. However, i did dump the kb+m after about 3 minutes for a 360 controller :)

4. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Enjoying it. Hit level 22 last night. A slow game to start but when you get into a bit it really grabs you and draws you in.

Get the occasional grafix glitch and crash to desktop.

FOV=85 is much better.

Grafix are good and do the job well enough for me. The combat is a bit disappointing overall so far for me, but the storylines are keeping it going well. Will be replaying it to discover the other storylines for sure, which is always a good sign.

Fast travel is cool. So is my horse. Haven't used a companion yet, there are quests where you get one given to you anyway and they more often than not seem a hinderance rather than a help, but maybe that will change as I get higher and enemies become harder.

There is a lot to do, haven't really touched much on the crafting side of it so far, but what I have done seems well put together.

Biggest complaint for me is definitley the menu system which sucks hard, and is clearly designed for a console. It's crap. I am used to it now, of course, but it still sucks. It is not a gamebreaker just annoying and awkward to use.

Map is a bit annoying but ok.

I'd probably have given it 85-90%.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah I think that's my only complaints about the game, slight PITA changing from bow to dual swords or magic, that favourites thing doesn't work well for me & find it less hassle to just use the normal menu, would have been better to have a full 2d map also.

Game needs a quick select option so you press number keys to change, hopefully that will come in a patch.

But even with this being a little bit irritating it keeps me wanting more :D.

6. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

"By the end of the first dungeon we’d taken enough food to have a dinner party for seven, and had enough kit to equip all the guests with armour and a weapon."

I love Bit-tech, you guys manage to create purposeful and information packed articles but still keep a sense of humor.

:clap:

7. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

I also agree with the map and menu system, they both just feel awkward and "console-like" Especially the menu, just fail.

8. Slimaahl

Slimaahl What's a Dremel?

9. hardwarenerd

hardwarenerd What's a Dremel?

a little disturbing, but still amusing..

Running in eyefinity ups and downs (5670x1080) menu's are NOT designed to be played at that resolution, have to find bug fixes from another website (not listing, but google widescreen games, you will find it)

Game is NOT usable with crossfire (had to physically remove my 2nd card) but also unnecessary. A single 6950 2gb card is enough to run the game flawlessly at 5760x1080 (30-35ish fps and if you say that is too low, try it, there is no studder or lag)

Great game, would have preferred them releasing it in a month to get all the quest bugs out, it is getting ridiculous, cant even get close to finishing main questline without having to google it every 3 quests. And graphics, I am playing at ultra settings, why are they worse (for the most part) than oblivion? 4 years and almost the same graphics? COMEON!!! (well ok, there are dragons, and dragons friggen rock):clap:

10. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Um. In your favourites, you can press 1-9 and 'hotkey' the favourited item.

Be careful not to sell your favourited item (early on steel sword for me) because that automatically unfavourites and de-hotkeys that item.

I wish there was more than one key for the powers. One key for racial power, one key for shouts. As a Altmer mage, my racial ability is nice, but it's a PITA to switch from shouting to mana regen and then back. 9 hotkeys isn't enough. Needs as many hotkeys as an MMORPG. (all of them!)

Bede likes this.
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Doesn't work well for dual weapons though, find it quicker to select them from the menu.

12. Sleepy Ben

Sleepy Ben What's a Dremel?

This review highlights the problem of putting out fast reviews before you've really had time to know the game - warts n all.

For example the reviewer likes the UI but a large number of players hate it and find it awkward - so much so that one of the first and highly rated mods is for the UI.

Secondly when you've spent a decent amount of time with Skyrim you find there are a helluva lot of bugs - the kind of stuff that has me playing the game with a browser open so I can hunt for cheat codes to resolve the quest that's stuck and cannot progress or to remove the quest item that I don't want but am stuck with or better yet - the 10th copy of said item.

How about buying a house that was previously owned by a serial killer only to find it wasn't cleaned before you bought it. Finding that you were supposed to pay for said cleaning when you bought the decor (true to life stuff like that) but the dialogue option didn't show when you bought you the decor.

How about the chronic instability of the game that took a modder a few days to fix with the LAA mod that Bethesda have been forced to adopt - how can anyone claim this game was properly beta-tested?!
    And how stupid does 95% look now?

13. blackmouse1900

blackmouse1900 What's a Dremel?

Level 30 with a two hand melee char.

14. L-Jam

L-Jam What's a Dremel?

I think I've had my fun in it, played 36 hours and now I just find it takes way too long to do everything, because I realise the value of everything so always have to think everything through. Might start again though.

Tags: Add Tags