1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Car smoking ban

Discussion in 'General' started by erratum1, 16 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

What does it matter if he's loitering? Again: if there's no law preventing him from loitering then he has every right to loiter. He could be loitering, waiting for a bus, enjoying the view, his reasons for standing on that street corner don't change his entitlement to public space provided they're legal.

His reasons may change his obligation. He may be waiting for a bus at a marked bus stop and be obligated to wait at that location, or waiting to cross the street in order to reach some location of importance. However, the smoker may also have no obligation to be at the street corner and certainly has no obligation to be smoking while at that street corner which is shared with others.

If the smoker is causing trouble for others through his or her smoking and all parties are equally entitled to stand on that street corner why should the non-smokers move to accomodate the one who's causing trouble with smoke capable of irritating eyes, nose and lungs, impairing breathing for those with existing respiratory problems, and contributing to respiratory problems for healthy bystanders?

I know he wasn't shooting babies because he said he was standing on a street corner, not standing on a street corner shooting babies. Simply standing on a street corner is a peaceful act.

EDIT: As an aside, shooting babies doesn't suddenly make breathing in cigarette smoke less hazardous to his health, second hand smoke will have the same effect on him as it would if he was peacefully standing, though I should hope he's swiftly arrested and punished.

They shouldn't have to ask others to follow common decency. It should be, well, common.

As spec says, we can either maturely live together with our vices, or have them banned.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  2. Canon

Canon Reformed

By the same principal if there's no law to prevent someone walking past that corner having a cigarette, why shouldn't they?

What if this smoker has no common decency, ask then, or tar with the same brush?

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Sounds like a joke coming on: There was a smoker, a non-smoker, an asthma sufferer and a baby stood on the street corner all loitering minding their own business when ...

Firstly, you'll never get pregnant so it's irrelevant :p Secondly, exactly how do intend to police this?

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

To not be an asshole and maintain some sort of civil order without requiring the government to mandate every action of it's citizens.

It's exactly this inability to accomodate for the health of bystanders that has caused smoking to already be banned in a variety of places. If we were talking about playing loud music or a similar disturbance we'd have a different matter, unfortunately cigarettes have various negative, long-lasting effects on all who breathe in their smoke and are therefore much more serious business.

It's exactly why many governments enact things such as burn bans during times of low rainfall or low wind. People showed they couldn't be responisible with things that endanger the welfare of others and as such lost their priviledge to them.

It's an admittedly humorous and rare situation for so much to come together, but remember that even a healthy person will be negatively effected by second hand smoke, it's just not as prominent or immediate in its effects.

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

If they ban me from smoking in public I hope they also ban all the mothers who let their kids run and scream around me in the supermarket. Or the fully mobile people who have scammed a blue badge and stop me parking in wheelchair accessible places. Or....

The list could go on.

I'll just ignore it if they try to ban me from smoking.

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Likewise, if I or any woman is standing on a public street corner, I or they may dislike the idea of a lecherous git walking up next to us and leering at us but hey f*ck there's no law against that is there. We just have to put up with it or would you suggest that is banned too, since 50%+ of the population don't like that happening on occasion?

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

There are plenty of other things around, things you breath in every day or consume while eating or drinking, that will do just as much or the same amount of damage. Standing on a street corner next to a smoker and inhaling a bit of smoke will do very little harm and shouldn't be very high on the list of your worries at that point in time.

Ever wonder how much crap gets in your lungs from a BBQ? Are we going to ban those too?

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There are already other things so just pile on more? Brilliant.

BBQ smoke indeed has the same negative effects as any other type of smoke, generally not great stuff to be getting in your lungs or eyes. Thankfully lacking some of the worse chemicals from cigarettes. However, you'll find that setting up a BBQ in a public location is pretty uncommon. They're typically on private property where the public doesn't have any reason to expect a smoke free environment. Now, if you've got a BBQ on private property billowing out a significant enough amount of smoke onto public land to cause health issues, or someone else's private land, it's a similar situation to smoking in a public place. Abuse it and you'll likely be looking at the government coming in and holding your hand.

I'm amazed so many people are against the idea of not bothering others for no good reason.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Should ban people sneezing and coughing in public as well the amount of germs they can spread :eeek:

And while they at it brown shoe's should be banned bl*ody hate brown shoe's

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i smoke, i smoke on the street, outside pubs, waiting for the bus, everywhere i can get one in. if someone were to calmly and politely ask me to move 5 steps away from them while i smoke, i'll happily oblige.

however i dont drive a car, which polutes the general area around me when say, crossing a road, walking to work, riding my bike. but i dont tap on car windows and ask people to turn the engine off.

11. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

+1 to this. Should carry an automatic prison sentence. Why do guys where them with suits ffs? :nono:

12. [PUNK] crompers

i like brown shoes.

13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Well enjoy them while you can ;)

[PUNK] crompers likes this.
  14. Canon

Canon Reformed

Have some bloody decency and consideration for others around you.

MONSTER

P.S I'm wearing brown shoes as I write this, **** the police.

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

And people should be made to wear mask when they are out I don't want to breath in someone's carbon dioxide they are breathing out

16. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

:hehe:

And a tip for any of you smokers who want to p*ss off the non-smokers. Buy yourself an ecigarette and smoke it on the train :D Hacks the hell out of the other passengers once they realise they can't tell you to put it out :clap:

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

It's the only reason I have one in a drawer ! :hehe:

18. [PUNK] crompers

this country is going to the dogs.

19. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Sorry misread your post...

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

What for? Unless I've hugely misunderstood electronic cigarettes they don't any effect on anyone other than the person using it. There's no "second hand nicotene mist" unless you've done something very wrong. :eyebrow:

Perhaps you could simply explain this to people who mistakenly you ask you to put it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.