1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking HX750 on it's last legs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tangster, 20 Nov 2011.

1. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Having sidegraded to a 2600K setup, my PC intermittently shuts down when OC'ed. No BSOD or errors, more like it's tripping a "OFF" switch somewhere. It turns off then reboots (similar to holding the power switch).

Would I be correct in my assumption that the HX750 is on it's last legs? It is a couple years old now...

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Could be, can you try it in the old system?

If it proves faulty you know what to do with that PSU... [​IMG]

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds like it.
    You should RMA it, definitely a manufacture error. It has a 7 year warranty.

An overheating computer can do shutdown immediate. So also check your temperatures.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah something's not right there - my system draws hardly anything (375W max) when overclocked and it is probably more power hungry than yours.

Did you definitely plug in the EPS12v (the 8-pin connector at the top left corner of the board)?

Make sure you check and re-check all connections before concluding that there is a fault - a long time ago I thought my PC died, but I had stupidly forgotten to plug the power cable into the SATA HDD. LOL. :D

5. Tangster

I'll do it tomorrow. Not in the mood to do it now.

Shouldn't be heat, even with prime on all threads it only hits 64C overclocked.

Just checked, nothing wrong there.

Looking strongly like this is going for an RMA.:sigh:

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's the second "Corsair HX died" thread I've seen in the space of 24 hours. Fair enough your unit is two years old and has a good warranty, but still, I'm seeing what looks like a fairly high mortality rate for supposedly top teir PSUs. I suppose that because they are so popular you are more likely to hear about it when they pack in, but stil...

I'd be sighing too!

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yea, but you know how many people are using the Corsair PSU's? A lot.

In the family, they are 4. HX620 on my old computer.. that is 3 or 4 years old now.
    My 2 brothers systems.. 3 years and 2 years old. And my desktop (the only AX series), 1 year. All going strong. And add, obviously everyone else here on this forum.

The more people have a product, the more reports of problem you will hear.

8. Tangster

I'm fine with recommending corsair PSU's to friends and family, this is the only one I know of personally that's died.

9. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Eventually everything fails or becomes faulty. Bit crazy to claim they have a high mortality rate after 2 threads about it lol.

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The Corsair HX series is a very popular PSU among enthusiasts so of course you will see more reports of failure on an enthusiasts forum

My own HX650 is running very well and as far as I know Corsairs RMA service is quite good.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'm still waiting to have my TX750 tested, but mine may have gone a couple of days ago too.

I suspect it Corsair testing some sort of master plan. Have all PCs built with a Corsair PSU, flip switch to make them not work, hold world to ransom for 1 million dollars.

12. Tangster

Replaced it with a BeQuiet 750W. No problems now. :) Will probably use the RMA in media PC.

13. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

'mirin thread promotion skills

to op: similar spec system to yours and i have a 650w no problems here. i think your psu is faulty

14. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I had the same with my new PSU, I've switched it into another PC for testing now.

15. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

@Tangster. I notice that you have similar board as mine.

I had the same problem with my system. I could stress the system for hours using prime95 but whenever I left it to idle it would just turn off. Like when you hold the Power button for 5 seconds. I think it's some sort of "idle bug".

I only solved it by switching off power saving measures like speed step. That solved the problem.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
  16. Tangster

I never have speedstep or EIST, etc turned on when overclocking. The new PSU has solved problems anyhow.

17. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

God I am slow typing using iPod touch. Glad you fixed it know. Makes me wonder though if this a problem with msi boards and older power supplies as there are 3 of us in this thread who have had similar Problems.

18. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Edit: Double post

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
  19. Tangster

More likely running an overclocked i7 950 + OCed GTX460 setup for a year folding 24/7 when I had free electricity last year did my PSU no favors.