1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My first Extreme Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by voids sleet, 21 Nov 2011.

1. voids sleet

voids sleet What's a Dremel?

good morning everyone.

I am looking for a some advice on parts for my new build I am starting to plan for, i have NOT got a upper limit for a budget but i am looking at a mobo and chip combo of the i7-3930K and the Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

now this is where i get a bit lost, i am looking at quad sli, i have read up on the thing but i am still some what in the dark with it as in which gpu's to go for and psu's, would love advice on that.

i am going to be getting the 30" dell monitor with this build, the res of 2560 x 1600 is there on my list

the next thing is the ram, i would love to fill the entire slots with ram, i don't know which brand are good / bad ect, not been looking since 4 years ago.

and lastly OCing, it should be looking me right in the face with this answer, yes or no.....

Edit --- Forgot to say i already have a Haf X to put everything in.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2011
  2. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

Are u mental, quad sli?

Sent from Bittech Android app

3. voids sleet

simple answer yes....

it has just been one of my "want's" since i got into pc's a few years back, this is going to be the first and last time i am going to get anything like this ;)

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I would think you will neeed a 1500W PSU if you go quad SLI.

Once you know which components you are buying, you can use a PSU calculator to work out what PSU you need. There is one at http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (top link) that I have found pretty useful.

For the GPUs, I would go for GTX580 if there is no budget limit. I can only talk as a folder though, not as a gamer, so don't know how SLI affects things.

towelie likes this.
  5. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

6. voids sleet

That's just :confused:, i was looking at some thing like this but with socket 2011 on the way it would be better to go for that :thumb:

thanks for that link debs that's a really useful link, with having a play with it and adding a few things over what i want it comes to 1450W so the 1500W Enermax MaxRevo fits the glove :thumb:

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Don't go quad SLI, do Tri-Sli. Driver support will be far better, and you'll probably get about the same amount of performance.

For graphics cards, with no upper limit stated, get 3 of these beauties :D Couple it with the PSU suggested above. And get 1 set of this memory. Not sure if you should get 2 sets to fit all your banks. You'll need Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for more than 16GB memory and it may limit overclocking potential filling all the slots.

Then give me all the change you have spare :D :lol:

As for overclocking, yes do it.........or else :worried: lol Overclock the graphics cards as well and get so much epeen bragging rights it'll be unbelievable :hehe:

8. voids sleet

hey if i have it my way there will not be any change left to hand out :naughty:

if try gets me close to quad theres no problem with that, that gpu looks the part along with that ram :rolleyes:

i'll see whats what with the oc, my current system (Q6600 with 4gb ram, full slots) i can get a nice 3.1-3.2 off it 24/7, not the best oc ever but still better then nothing right

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah, Tri-Sli should be your limit. Sli depends a hell of a lot on the drivers making it work, and for quad SLi the drivers are pretty crap to say the least. Tri-Sli fairs much better as more people have that kind of setup. So what you'd gain in raw power, you'd lose because the drivers aren't up to scratch.

MSI cards are really good, pretty quiet and good overclockers. And you can't go wrong with some Vengeance RAM, most people who own Sandy Bridge/SB-E have Vengeance as it was basically made for the platform.

Overclocking on X79 should relatively simple. No need to worry about upping base clocks, it's very much all about the CPU multiplier. So you'd use a 44 multi to get 4.4GHz and so on.

10. voids sleet

ok thanks noizdaemon, looks like tri is the way to go.

looks like its time for me to get the parts, thenks everyone

11. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

i7 LGA2011 Extreme processor.
    ASUS Rampage IV
    16GB RAM or 32GB
    2xGTX590 or 3x GTX580
    1200W modular 80+ PSU
    Thermaltake L10 white case
    Corsair H100 cooler
    2xOCZ Agility 3 in RAID 0
    2 Samsung Spinpoint F3 in RAID 0
    Corsair vengeance keyboard and mouse
    Creative Fatl1ty sound card.

Along them lines ;) Or wait till HD7000

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

To be fair; If you're crazy enough to be planning Quad SLI: Why no Watercooling? A Multiple-loop scenario would be best, considering the amount of Heat you're looking at kicking out from three GTX580 level cards, at least.

14. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

100% agree. Put a dual loop on your cards and cpu and you will have a much quieter system that is capable of considerably higher overclocks.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

LN2 or go home.

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

true_gamer had some PSU issues while back with a tri-SLi setup and the i7 990x. It could cope but was at the absolute limit with a big OC (5.02ghz iirc) and OC'd GPUs. Without massive overclocks 1250w would probably do i reckon but with some OCing on both CPU and GPUs then it'll have to be 1500w.

Also with you stating 'no upper limit' on budget there's some tasty treats which should be considered in my opinion such as a RevoDrive.

Others here will know better than I but this is the kind of thing I'd be looking at with unlimited budget. Obviously simple reference GPU's chosen for easier WCing and no case or cooling included and 2 lots of RAM since i could find any 8x4gb sets to fully populate the slots as you would like.
    [​IMG]

Plenty of room to change things around but regardless of what you go for, I'm insanely jealous. :D Good luck.

EDIT: Should probably throw a 256gb Crucial M4 in there as well as a games drive. Hey it's a crazy machine is it not? :lol:
    EDIT:EDIT: Yeah no case either, pick what you want so long as it's huge.

17. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

If your going all out, get 8 x 8GB sticks and have 64GB in total, or 8 x 4GB sticks.

A TJ11 would be a perfect case for such a beastly rig, but it is really expensive. The Cosmos 2 looks pretty awesome, but there is no news on when it will be released.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

What will you use the rig for? Just gaming, some actual work or just stretching your e-peen?

Either way, my "dream, no-limits PC" would still never feature an Intel Extreme-series CPU, because those just aren't worth it. Also scaling after three (or two, depends) cards is so iffy it's just waste for the most part and leads to problems choosing the PSU(s) and excess heat.

Sure, go nuts, but I just thought I'd drop my 2 pence to the mix.

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Pick a case that will manage everything. My personal Vote would go towards the Xigmatek Elysium, simply because it's more than Giant Enough to be able to fit everything you're suggesting.

20. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

That would also be a really good case as it is indeed ginormous :).