1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ivy Bridge for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x5pilot, 22 Nov 2011.

1. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Hi guys
    Im planning on building a new system around the Ivy Bridge chip when it launches hopefully Q1 next year.
    However, as is almost traditional in my house, my wife always asks me what one piece of kit I might like from Santa around this time of year (eg last year was a GTX580)
    Is it too early to start planning the bigger component purchases around Ivy?
    I've heard that maybe the new LGA2011 (Asus SABERTOOTH X79?) boards maybe compatible with Ivy?
    If this is true I could at the very least get some Ram and/or some water cooling kits?
    I already have ample SSD storage and a case sorted.
    Appreciate any further guidance on this?

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Ivy bridge will be a around march/april release next year apparently, when ivy bridge is released next year it will be on socket lga 1155, but intel will also introduce a new chipset as well I believe,

X79/ Lga 2011 and the Asus sabertooth motherboard you mention is on a completely different socket to the ivy bridge that we will see early next year, there should be an Ivy Bridge-E, just like Lga 2011 is Sandy Bridge-E at the moment, but Ivy-E won't be until late Q4 2012

In theory no it isn't too early to be building around Ivy bridge, but you'll need to check motherboard manufacture websites to see if any recent bios update's have support for ivy bridge, I think the Asus Maximus IV Gene had a bios release quite recently which included support for ivy bridge

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The Gene Z already has an Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS so you could get that!

4. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Thanks for clearing that up about the 1155 board!
    I think best thing is to wait for the board bearing in mind the possible new chipset.
    Cheers

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Opt for the GENE-Z Gen3 ;)

6. Allsopp

Allsopp What's a Dremel?

Why not purchase some RAM or get a nice SSD ready to use in the new build. I would hold out buying anything till the chip is released as there would be more choice so no point in hindering your selection this early