1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yeah, I just thought that the form you're aiming for is quiet easy, so that you don't need a positive+negative form.

If you want to make 100% sure, that the laminate doesn't split, it is enough to just apply some hot water with a brush an hour before gluing the whole thing together. It is not required at all to soak the laminate when using such thin layers of laminate, if the radius is big enough. It'll be easy-peasy without having to worry about the material splitting or anything.

Oh... and you want to layer the sheets 90° turned to each other, as this makes the whole thing more rigid.

2. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Another name for the sheets of laminate is veneers ;)
    This looks gorgeous. Subbed :clap:

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks, I'll follow your advises. Time to pratice a little I think.

Just like plywood :)

Thanks matey.

4. GuilleAcoustic

Another design for the fan holder / grill :

[​IMG]

It is made of a single piece and include the PCI bracket :

[​IMG]

Also modeled a simple latex sole to damper vibrations :

[​IMG]

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The name of your mod.....

Here's my "Simplicity" from 6 years ago ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GuilleAcoustic

Nice design and nicely built. Is it a sneak pic of a wooden wall from your wooden house in the background ? I'm really considering buying one if I can find an affordable flat not to far from my job.

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

Love the one piece grill/bracket - the hatching on the grill not so convincing, but that's just me. Awesome idea!

8. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks matey. About the hatching, I'm not totally happy with it either. I'll try several ones, but right now I'm more working on the innards and building details. I will for sure rework it in a few days.

Next step is the SDD + 2.5" HDD mounting as well as the cable routing / holding.

Maybe a 70's looking grill would be more suited as it kind of remind me of 70's design (laminated + plexi) :D

9. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

Really an awesome look. Didn't you think about ally instead of plexi? It could increase the natural simple look of the design (but maybe I am totally lonely with this idea).

10. GuilleAcoustic

What kind of alloy were you thinking about ? I was thinking about anodized alu at the begining but switched to frosted plexi (and maybe lighting it to have a nice diffuse light). But as always I'm opened to all suggestion :thumb:.

I'll make proper render once I'm done with layout and building details.

11. GuilleAcoustic

Night' mateys :D

Small update to show another grill design :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also worked on the cable routing / management. This is really minimalist and simple, but this is the concept of this project : an opening to route cables from the PSU to the "airduct" and a "hook" to hold cables in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you like the new ideas. Feel free to give any comments / inputs / advises. Stay tuned :dremel:

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Well Guille, I actually like the open design you're aiming for as mentioned earlier. However, I think that you do a few things too complicated there, running into some troubles.

I'll do a quick SU based on your design, to give you some ideas... hang on ;)

EDIT: There it is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a little bit cleaner this way, as the motherbard-tray and the fan-mounting/grill is made of a single piece, hanging in there, mounted to the top of the wooden frame.

Oh, and I've made the PSU-cover a little bit different to make room for some HDDs there aswell.

Just an idea tho, to streamline the whole thing a little bit and reduce the parts needed to four. One wooden frame, one aluminum-tray and two acrylic-covers.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
    GuilleAcoustic likes this.
  13. Livio

Livio What's a Dremel?

I would go for brushed alu. Maybe anodised and the colour of the anodising would depend on how dark the wood part of the case is.

14. GuilleAcoustic

Great idea matey, thanks a lot for the help. This solution will waste less material since, once unfolded, the tray is pretty much a rectangle.

I've alreay found veneer supplier, just have to choose for a kind of wood. What thickness would you suggest for each laminate (available from 6/10 mm to 30/10 mm) ?

http://marechaux.fr/fr/categorie.php?id=58

http://www.george-veneers.com/

Last think to think about : covers mounting. Maybe screws and some little pieces of alu, but I'd like something more elegant.

@Livio: Will try this during the second step, the rendering. I bet that the darker the wood is, the lighter the alu should be.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd go with the thinnest veneer available, as thinner stuff bends more easily without splitting. 6/10mm or 9/10mm is just fine.
    The end-result after gluing everything together should be some 10mm thick.

For the mountings of the acrylic pieces... I'd simply go with aluminum-angles to which you can then screw the acrylics to, but I've also thought allready about a screwless mounting-method....

Pictures following shortly ;)

16. GuilleAcoustic

You're truly genuinely genius :thumb:. Thinner veneer allow lower bending radius from what I've seen.

Here are the tools I have and I'll be using :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those tools are old, but they really work like a charm. It's a pleasure to use them. I'm not a big fan of modern tools, just not the same feeling (probably the material used for the handles). 10mm ... that's what I used in SU :D. Should be nice, just have to find a not to expensive veneer (maybe 2 different kind of wood to have a dual-tone sandwich).

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Here's the screwless mounting-method depictured...

[​IMG]

As the acrylics is elastic, it forces itself into place like written in the picture.

And these tools are very nice. I've worked 7 years in a carpentry during school and was forced to use these kind of old tools in the beginning, to learn how it's done the 100% manual way :p

18. GuilleAcoustic

[​IMG]

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

And for the veneer... I'd go with Cerejeira 6/10 personally, as the somewhat greyish tone of the wood and the very fine structure makes it look fantastic imho.

20. GuilleAcoustic

I like it ... found some @ 5.8€ / m², 10 minutes by car from where I live.

http://marechaux.fr/fr/produit.php?id=68

[​IMG]

Do you think it would improve the "holding" if I slightly bend the top tab toward the exterior of the case (something like 3°) so that it would act like an anchor ?

Do you think it would improve the "self holding" if I slightly bend (3° about) the upper tabs toward the exterior of the case ? This could form a kind of anchor. What do you think of it ?

[​IMG]