1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project: DIY CNC - V3 Reinforced Z Axis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lenne0815, 16 Dec 2009.

1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

that's no answer :(

2. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

I thing it might be somewhere around 7 to 10000 Euros, plus countless hours of work...

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one? But well having one you built yourself is much better :)

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Go look for one of that size and those features... won't be any cheaper than that ;)

5. lenne0815

Hey guys, heres as promised the routing aluminium vid in 720p as usual !

And i did install a side channel blower for vacuum clamping already but didnt take pics of it, ull see it soonish ;)

Razer2007 likes this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

prolly said a few times already buut great job building it and thanks alot for keep us all updated with pics and vids

7. lenne0815

Thx Yaka :) some moar pics from the recently added side channel blower ( Its much quieter than the shop vacuum cleaner i used befor and has aprox 3 Times more Power ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just duct taped everything together for testing purposes :D

8. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

That is simply more than impressive!!

I've always fancied a cnc machine but find using cad tricky!
    Is there anyone in the UK that has a cnc machine? and a 3d scanner?
    :D :D :D

9. Overminde

Overminde What's a Dremel?

Can i ask how mutch did you spend in these plus the motors, and where did your bought them ?

Best Regards

10. lenne0815

They were like 350 euros in a set or something, got them off ebay, some chinese seller ( these are actually still the same aside from the bob and the psus im still using )

11. Overminde

Overminde What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply mate, and congradulations for the projects its something from the other world.

12. lenne0815

Ok guys, im back in cnc upgrading business, today i ordered one of these [​IMG]

thts a digital stepper driver, they claim "servo like stepper performance" lets see if it lives up to it :D

The reason why i ordered it is rather simple, the stepper driver on my z axis is **** the stepper starts resonating badly at about 3,7m/m whereas my other drivers are able to speed it up to 8m/m without resonating at all.

But this is only the first step im gonna take, im doing heaps and heaps of 3D stuff lately ( Pretty much only 3d... ) and having high velocity on all axes is essential to keep routing times low, for example i just startet routing big foam blocks, doing that right now just takes way too long.

what i do hope to achieve is

7000mm/m on Y vs now 2200mm/m

7000mm/m on X vs now 4000mm/m

7000mm/m on Z vs now 3800mm/m

Especially the Y axis has been causing the biggest headaches for me, i did need to shorten it from 2,2m to 1,8m in order to avoid heavy resonances caused by the huge ballscrews.

My error when buidling it for direct drive was that i didnt calculate the ballscrew length before, so i ended up with 2200m /m on y which is really slow :/

I do have a solution for that now and the parts to realise that are ordered.

If u guys are interested i could do a little closer view on the software side aswell, explaining the basics of mach3 running my machine.

13. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Would love to see more of this. Would also love to see some of the stuff you've made already on it :) It's an amazing project, something I'm certain a lot of people on here would want to be able to do but can't afford or just wouldn't have the use for. All the same I loved watching it evolve and look forward to seeing more :thumb:

14. blackrock

blackrock What's a Dremel?

Wow man! Started reading this yesterday from beginning to here. You got some skill and feck! All best for you and CNC. Im waiting to see more! :)

15. lenne0815

Cheers Guys :)

I did install the new Leadshine driver now and i tell u, its a night and day difference to older analog driver, resonating is effectively eliminated and i can push the accel rates on the x axis almost twice as high, plain awesome.

I did some other changes aswell, now im using an xbox controller to control jogging and a bunch of other features furthermore i have mach3 running with gerrys mach3 2010 Screenset which almost feels like a brand new controller software.

Im uploading a video right now ( will take some time be patient ;) )

For anyone whos interested in the Screenset from the Video more info here: link

The XBox Controller Plugin can be found @ www.machsupport.com

BTW the vid was taken with the Samsung galaxy note n7000 for comparison ;)

Last edited: 27 Feb 2012
  16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

LENNE! I've been looking at that X-box controller plugin but wondering how useful it would actually be... you just answered my question! Looks amazing, likewise so does your entire set up!

17. lenne0815

Cheers Editor, after i configured and tried the xbox controller i simply asked myself why i didnt use it earlier, its cheaper than any other pendant and much better...

Today i finished the updated vacuum clamping system and my driven ball nuts are coming propably on wednesday, im so exited :D

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Oh man it's really turning into a bit of a beast now! I had contemplated using a joystick but the fact the the x box controller can function wire free must be a massive bonus when setting up small parts!

You still doing a lot of plywood work?

19. lenne0815

It is indeed, having a wired pendant is really inconvenient.
    A big plus for the xbox controller is the reliability, i didnt encounter a single situation where it didnt work as expected or caught noise in the signal, it just works very well.

I dont do much ply anymore, now its mostly 3d Molds / press dies etc, a lot has changed in the last year ;)

20. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

thats all.