1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti HAWK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ICISAZEL, 18 Nov 2011.

1. ICISAZEL

ICISAZEL What's a Dremel?

Hello all looking for some advice with regards to the temperatures you are seeing from your graphics cards while idle and whilst gaming, i am looking to RMA mine soon as it to me is running far hotter than would be ideal for a PREMIUM product that is sold on the back of being quieter than the competition.

IDLE temps even though the card was underclocked to 820 mhz are 40oC LOAD 84 oC

to me this is not great news at all.

let me know what you all think cpu temps idle at 35 oC not too sure where the go at Load yet

i have a huge 180 mm air penetrator intake and a 120 mm air penetrator exhaust

2. Exangels

Exangels What's a Dremel?

my asus 560ti directcu is around 30 idle 65load
    its overclocked to 900mhz
    Thats with a coolermaster haf 922 200mm at front, 200 on top and 120 at back

3. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

My 6950 has a TFIII cooler on it the same as the one on the Hawk.
    Idles between 45-49°C and the highest I have seen it go is 75°C (that was in the menu's on Skyrim!! The proper game I only see 65°C)
    That is with a healthy overclock to 890Mhz and unlocked to a 6970.
    I believe GPU's are happy up to above 90°C, but to be fair you are cutting it fine.

4. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

My 560Ti TwinFrozr (pretty much the same cooler as the HAWK I believe?) idles at about 40C, getting into late 50's under load.

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

My 560Ti HAWK idles between 31-35C with fan speed 30%, maxes out at 71C overclocked (though without upping the voltage) with fan speed 70%.

My CPU idles around the 30C mark, different cores reporting different temps. We also have the same CPU cooler :D

Your temps don't seem good tbh. I'm in a fairly cold room, with the stock case fans turned right down low.

6. ICISAZEL

Thanks for your replies, i will try in my old computer and then rma if things don't show improvement

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  7. ICISAZEL

UPDATE

Scan have come back and they are saying that there is apparently no issue with this device so i am inquiring as to how exactly they have tested it.. will keep you all posted

To me a card that is sold as ready to go at 950 Mhz should not require me to underclock to reign in the temperature even after the sun has long gone down and the ambient temperate droped below 25 oC i dont see why the card should hit 90 oC under load whilst the fans are running at full whack throughout the system

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What speed was the gpu fan itself running at?

9. ICISAZEL

A Call to all GTX 560 Ti Owners

can you post your idle and load temperatures so that i can see if any trends become apparent

also core memory and stream processor clocks would be welcome

any offerings will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Something's not right - for an underclocked 560Ti you should be in the upper 60s/lower 70s at full load, nowhere near 80. Even so, GPUs are able to cope with up to 100C, unlike CPUs, but it definitely improves stability by keeping them cool.

Did you/can you reseat the cooler and put some good thermal paste on it? Too much factory TIM looks to be a popular issue with MSI cards.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Idle of ~ 50* and load of 75-80 depending on game / scene

This is with my HD6950 unlocked and running at HD6970 clocks @ 1.116v under a stock cooler running an aggressive fan profile which keeps things silent up to around 70 degrees.

* I run triple screens so my idle clocks / voltage are higher than normal. Dropping back to a single screen brings my idle down to 35-40ish.

85 isn't too bad for a GPU but given that the OP has had to underclock it just to get these temperatures it doesn't bode too well. My assumption is either poor cooler mounting and/or too much TIM (not applied by the OP but by MSI).

12. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

My gigabyte 560ti OC edition runs to a max of 65-70 under load. AND the fan speed is upto 85%.

13. ICISAZEL

ITS BRAND NEW

i could play with it but this would most likely void my warranty

14. ICISAZEL

GPU hits 98 % load and fans spin up to 100%

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Something is defo wrong, what you using to read the temp?
    Something could just be reading wrong (broken temp sensor) since there's no way that card is getting that hot if the fans are running 100%

16. ICISAZEL

Temps taken using

CPUZ, GPUZ and and MSI afterburner

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

What are you using to stress test it some stress tests such as furmark and some kombustor modes put way more stress on the GPU than a program could resulting in higher temps.

For example my twin Frozr maxes 69 C while folding, 89 C on regular kombustor and >95 heading north of 100C on xtreme burn in. Idles at 30 C though i have it set to underclock while idle.

18. ICISAZEL

USAGE

my GPU hits 89 0C in BF3 and IN Deus Ex Human Revolution

whilst under-clocked to 820 Mhz with the shaders locked

memory at standard wunninng at a native

resolution 1680 * 1050 only !!!

fans spinning up to 100 %

case fans 180 mm air penetrator in 120 mm air penetrator out

[​IMG]

this is the setup

small i know but it hits the same temps with the side panel off

19. ICISAZEL

The engineers fault report is as follows:

Crysis benchmark run for 1 hour with no problems, heaven benchmark run for 1 hour with no problems. T emperature maxed at 77c.

We usually test using an i5 2500k and a p67 based motherboard with 4 GB of DDR 3 memory.

is the latest that i have from SCAN,

the card exhibited the exact toaster like properties in DEUS Ex Human Revolution also.

seeing as i only run at 1680 * 1050 i find this all rather troubling.

will keep giving updates as i get them.

If anyone has pictures of there setup's and some more temperatures that would be a great help.

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Regards

20. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Does your card throttle down on desktop? Have GPU-Z running, stop using your comp and see if clocks drop to or about these. If not, you have one of those first cards that do not throttle down when idle and it will die sooner or later.