1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

oh no don't start that. it's your preference and yours alone. many people prefer normal.

i really don't like how DICE divided the community. HC vs normal, and it's going to be even more divided when Karkand is released.

standard ticket number differs on each map. some are 300 some are even 400. they all last roughly the same amount of time.

agree about auto-join system. it's nice to have since there are a lot of players just don't understand the concept of squads.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hardcore cheesecake, but agreed :)

How so? The maps in the Karkand expansion work with the base game anyway and all weapons and unlocks are usable, so why would it split anything at all. Yes there are those who didn't get the LE via pre-order or initial release, but I'm pretty sure that most people would be willing to buy the DLC. Decent amount of content, not just the re-worked maps.

Sadly, this is true.

4. wyx087

oh, i thought Karkand DLC will work the same as Vietnam DLC for BFBC2: require server restart.

but how would it work though? if server rotates to Wake Island, those who don't have the DLC will get kicked? seems a bit unfriendly......

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

From the Battlefield Blog;

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...ve/2011/11/18/Strike-at-Karkand-Gameplay.aspx

Yeah, it's a little unfriendly to people who don't have the DLC, but at least it doesn't create a huge split between the community in comparison to Vietnam for BC2.

6. faugusztin

Once they bring back the integral parts of the game which are useless in hardcore mode now (spotting & MAV), we can talk about the hardcore mode. Until that point, hardcore mode is another name for "Battlefield 3 crippled". I don't say you need to see the triangles above their head. You have the minimap in hardcore mode now as well, put the last known position of spotted enemies there. But now, when the spotting does nothing else except giving you spot bonus means the hardcore mode is a crippled version of the intended gameplay.

7. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I only realised this half way through a match. I usually just jump into a free squad and hope they're not all recon. Why can't there be the option to join a squad like in BFBC2 or a least the option at the deployment screen?

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Same for me - never realised it had changed, never noticed the little "join" button at the bottom right either. felt ever so slightly daft!

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Oh good sir, I have to disagree with you completely there. MAV's are incredibly worthwhile when assaulting a position and spotting does work in close quarters.

Example being: Attacking Alpha flag on Tehran conquest, armed with the DAO-12 (normal rounds, not frags). Went in solo, other squaddies were either dead at the time and the 4th was the MAV operator. Plenty of small obstacles and infantry ahead, but went in with all the enemies lit up on the minimap for me and nailed about 9 of them while waiting for squad mates to arrive via MAV operator (I wasn't SL). I was accused of hacking (naturally) since I knew where people were in advance of them coming around a corner etc and kicking their arses.

Spotting is not pointless or redundant in Hardcore, neither are the MAV or T-UGS. Taking a split second to crouch and look at your minimap is not going to ruin your game.

10. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

A join button!? :wallbash: The menu layout of this game is so flawed.

11. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Yep.

Still, I can cope with that better than the random graphics glitches I've started getting (open field suddenly becoming a massive jungle anyone?). I think I managed no more than 20 minutes continuous play last night. somehow, during some massive ping times & massive corruption on my one visit of the evening to the CPC server, I got a message telling me I'd shot wyx with my stinger, god only knows how I managed that. I wasn't even sure I'd launched. next round I got knifed by an invisible man.....

Starting to not enjoy this game, every patch has made it worse for me instead of better!

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I spot all the time, in tanks as infantry and love mumble informing squad mates or team mates location of enemy. Mav is great when used to locate bush wookies or people behind rocks, seeing thier movement to judge which side to attack from, though noticed spotting is tempremental at times, bashing Q doesn't always work!

13. wyx087

it was you who took me down last night! i was having a good time until mobile AA sent 2 up my thrusters, i managed to not crash and applied extinguisher but a 3rd stinger was hot on my tail.

i was touching the water and went around the ship by then. (on Kharg Island) was thinking that must be a really lucky missile, managing to navigate the two cargo ships.

14. faugusztin

Yep, that is why i have 260 surveillance efficiency ribbons :D. Put the MAV in the air, and watch the whole game from up there and spot, spot, spot. The best feeling is when i spot some hill wookie at the top of the hill on Kharg Island, and see that some determined teammate is climbing the hill and knifes the unsuspecting wookie to the death once he gets up there. It is funny to watch the poor enemies too when they try to run from cover to cover, while a whole squad from my team waits for the poor ******* with guns pointing already at him because he has been spotted long time ago by my MAV.

15. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

yea spotting can be awkward when squad leader also, keep spamming my squad with attack/defend orders everytime i spot. I cant use the MAV well, still getting used to the controls so if you see one of em bouncing off buildings or flying sideways dont worry ive got no chance of spotting lol

16. faugusztin

Well, i don't even try to use MAV in small maps like bazaar. I use them on maps like Kharg Island or Caspian Border, when there is a huge open terain and many possibilites where to fly with MAV and spot the enemies from high above.

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

From what I've seen and read, DICE have made the BTK Expansion maps with alot more destruction unlike the default BF3 Maps which are limited!

Agreed. I just wish people would spot more. I sometimes get the feeling people forget it's there!

Last edited: 24 Nov 2011
  18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I had a nightmare last week where I could see an Enemy soldier running up behind one of my teammates at Hilltop on Caspian Border, and I was hammering Q but it wouldn't spot him!

Woke up in a cold sweat.

19. faugusztin

You should stop playing for a while, it has negative effect on you :D.

20. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I think if you hit Q too much without actually spotting anything it just decides to stop spotting and you get a pointless "click" noise instead.

I don't understand it.