1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Can anyone recommend a good netbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crackdown_uk, 22 Nov 2011.

1. Crackdown_uk

Crackdown_uk What's a Dremel?

As per the title, the market seems saturated with them at the moment and I'm pretty clueless in this area. Not looking for a top of the range one as I have desktops and the netbook will only be used for browsing/instant messaging/shopping/etc... so I guess the cheaper the better but don't wish to hobble the experience by aiming too low. I'd consider gaming on it too, namely classics and maybe a lite MMO but only if it was viable without bumping up the price to astronomical proportions for what the hardware actually is. Battery life isn'ta big Issue as it will spend most of the time in the house.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. The Protocol

The Protocol What's a Dremel?

There are E-350 based netbooks for £250 I think. If you're not too fussed about the games though just get a large smartphone or tablet - that's where all your future software is going to be developed.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

have you thought about a tablet?

5. Crackdown_uk

Typed the OP on my HTC Desire HD, hence my shonky command of the English language. I do like the phone but it can be buggy and slow even browsing this very forum.

D255 seems pretty reasonable if gaming is ruled out, any suggestions on a more powerful device that would be capable of some games (obviously not looking to run Crysis, but retro/indie/lite MMO)? I have considered a tablet but only heard less than favourable reviews of them, plus the closed system like my Android phone is limiting IMHO. Maybe things have moved on since then so I'm happy to be educated!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, very much appreciated. :thumb:

6. The Protocol

Depends if you're willing to root and use custom kernels and the like, can be quite fun

7. Crackdown_uk

Possible, what is the GPU to get in a netbook? Any will do or?...

8. The Protocol

Not the low low end but mid range would be overkill

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Time to install a custom ROM. They really make the phone shine.

10. Joe Neely

Joe Neely What's a Dremel?

Avoid Acer - No support

I would avoid Acer units. Mine got a little quirky and I attempted to restore according to their directions, using restore software on a partition of the hard drive. It failed, and now it won't boot up. There was no restore media provided with the unit. I attempted to purchase a restore disk from Acer but couldn't find it on the web site. Here is what Acer support had to say:

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Jagadeesh, badge number GWSI1693. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand that you're not able to perform a recovery and would like tom purchase a recovery CD for the system.

I have verified the serial number in our database and found that your computer is not covered under standard limited warranty.

As per our database, recovery media is no longer available for your system, because of it age.

Hence in order to reinstall your operating system, we recommend you to purchase a retail version of operating system from a computer store locally, however the available drivers may be download from our support site and the rest of the drivers which are not available in the support site may be downloaded from the component manufacturers website, which you may need to search online.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

For further clarifications, please feel free to visit our web site http://support.acer.com

Have a nice day!

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support"