1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

The dedication in this theead is simply mind numbing, the quality is too, I hope to have a project half as good as this one day dude!

2. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

On some projects I'd look at that and think .... hhhmmm 295 holes - square - 1mm gap - by hand ... that's going to be a bit of a mess . With you I'm looking forward to how aweso.... no,no ... perfect it is :eeek:

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

this just gets better and better, can't wait to see the finished product

4. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Wow, it must have taken an immense amount of patience to make all those holes. Really nice job and I also can't wait to see the finished product. +rep

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks for the nice comment wejjy, Im shure you won't have any problem doing that:thumb:

Hehe thanks. I've been worried about the mess since day one when I desided on this design. Im glad I was able to predict the work needed and thankfully reduced the initial number of holes from around 450 to around 300.

Thanks Rich. Then you won't wait for too long ;)

Yeah patience is my best tool at this moment. I hope I dont break that one aswell :)

Waynio likes this.
  6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Haha love it +rep :D:clap: oh but I hate filing in super tight spaces like that, quite a test of patience :lol: so easy to pull out accidentaly & push hard making a bad scratch & needle files can break relatively easy but never happened to me... Yet :D, good thinking for milling it down to 1mm though :).

2 or 3 beers & an mp3 player really helps on tedious modding bits like that :D.

Arrrrrrgh I've been relixed :eeek::lol:.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
    The_Gnu likes this.
  7. daverobson08

daverobson08 What's a Dremel?

Wow, that's a lot of fiddly work! The whole project is looking really exciting.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks mate:thumb:
    Yeah the next step Im working on right now is even more fiddly as the gaps between each hole is becoming really thin. As you say, I have to be very carefull to pull the file straight out or I might bend the remaining material inbetween the holes.

Yeah milling down the material helped a lot. Tried some holes when it was 2mm thick but I think I spent around 5min on each hole just to get the file through and that was way too long.

Don't get yourself too "relixed", Im waiting for another project from you:naughty:.

Thanks dave:thumb:

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Laser-cutting? Waterjet-cutting?

Anyway, this is more like real modding, so :thumb: for that!

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yes absolutely an option, but since I havn't used any CNC tools on any project, I challenged myself to see if I could make it without on this one aswell.

I have nothing at all against using CNC tools in a mod, but I've never used it before and It would be a special feeling if someone would ask: laser or waterjet? And I can say: No, needlefile.

11. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

Impressive work again, and what a patience :jawdrop:

It's really a crazy mod, but in a good way :thumb:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I am doing bits on the design of my next between life, gaming, lounging around the forum, it is difficult trying to go as compact as possible for things like 5 HDD's though :lol: & make sure they stay cooled & vibrationless & easy to switch :duh: got some ideas which are near solid but it's all just trying to form into a full design at the moment, think I'm on track to start a new project within the next few months ;).

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Sounds really promising, im looking forward to this.
    Space is something I tend to have to little of in all of my projects aswell :). Becomes a hell when it's time for assembly if your not carefull :p

14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

i am looking forward to seeing this finished!!!!!!

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

OMG man thats a looooot of work there bro!!! My wishes for patience and strength and an outstanding outcome!!!! :)

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The real pisser is you have to buy a whole set to replace that one file.:( Nice idea on matching the hole size to the file, though.

17. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Thats one helluva vent grill.

Patience will make it perfect. :thumb:

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, so do I :p

Thank you AnG3L, I hope Ill make it through :)

Yeah thats exactly what I had to do. Bought a different brand that seemed better. Turned out that the file wasn't a perfect square. The corners were more pointy than it should be, more like a 4 edged star. So I had to solve it in another way as youll se in the next update.

Thanks,I just hope It will work as intended :)

19. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Holy fu***** cr**!!!! Nice back mate... I would've been satisfied with just the drilling, but you man, you just had to make ém pixels in perfection. That is a lot of work!! :rock::rock::rock:

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Haha, awesome!