1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Christmas Pressie Ideas for Family?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tibby, 9 Nov 2011.

1. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Do not listen to this person. Women KNOW when you've gone to boots n bought the first vaguely 'nice' looking smellies/creams you can buy on a 3 for 2 offer. We can also tell when we got the third 'free' cheapo present after you gave the other 2 to people you like more. Why do you think the boots xmas advert revolves around women organising xmas?

You can and you just did.

Tibby, what does your mum enjoy doing? She's probably given you a million hints without you even realising, for she is female :) - a bit of thought goes much further than a bit of expense at xmas.

2. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

How very practical. If I had to guess I would say married with a mortgage ??

Zoon listen to Emzay for Emzay speaks the truth. I once bought my mum a "gift basket" from the body shop full of soaps, shampoos, lotions and potions. that "gift basket" sat in it's cellophane wrapper for months on end before it dissappeared without trace. It was never used and I never got her another one.

I did have one good idea if anyone is into photograpy. My brother is into photography so I bought him a large picture frame from an art shop and a credit card gift card so he can print out one of his favourite photos poster size to put in the frame.

If someone is into a local sport team if you hang around after training sessions and you can probably get a few players signatures. bring a pretty lady to double the number of signatures.

if you live the same house as the person and you're short on ideas you can always write down a list of what the person is into and then make a list of associated gifts. ( although parents rarely have hobbies)
    say they are into
    bird watching, reading, outdoor pusuits, music, fashion , sports, foods

you'de make a list like
    bird watching - rspb subscription, binoculars, book for bird indetification etc
    reading - look at what books they tend to read - crime thrilers old classics anything new and modern,
    outdoor pursuits - sturdy cloths, thermos, walking stick, backpack, portable seat etc
    music - what type do they listen to most popular chart, jazz, classical
    fashion - favourite look, favourite store (ALWAYS KEEP THE RECEIPT and let them know so they can exchange it for something they acutally want)
    sports - favourite sports, favourite team
    foods - what sort of luxury item do you think they would want - bad if it's tiny portions they feel obliged to share amongst the family but okay if they live with just their partner.

go round the house gather as much intel about what their prefernces are and then ask
    " fishing for a hint questions",
    " is that book any good ? "," do you like that type of book ?"
    "is that type of music you normally listen to?"
    " what do you normally take when you go <insert outdoor pursuit here>?"
    would it not be better if you had a < idea you thought of> ?

these are all asking for a hint questions a women will subtly pick up on these things and help you out. a guy might not get it right away. just keep asking question and they'll get that your looking for hints.

clothes shopping is difficult - always shop at his her favourite shop and always always keep the reciept, clothes shops are really good about exchanging clothes so it's as good as a gift voucher but looks like you put some thought into it. keep the repciept and put it in a seperate envelope with the present . All the following excuses are good
    say how you didn't know if you got the right thing, whether the color or style was right. they had a large selection. you think you might have got it wrong. you weren't sure if the person might have something similar to this already. on reflection there were better clothes you could have got. Blame yourself and give them every excuse to take it back. If pushed mention that you want them to have something they want and would be offended if they didn't feel they could exchange it for something thats just right for them - afterall you're no clothes shopping expert and there were many nice things there. but whatever you do NEVER EVER MENTION THAT THE SIZE MIGHT BE WRONG :duh: - IT'S JUST TOO RISKY AND ALMOST ALWAYS A LOOSE SITUATION. :duh:

If you live with the person you should be able to fish for hints quite easily. If you know each other well enough the process might be painfully obvious but at least you have a starting place. However it's best of all if it's something they wanted and you didn't need a hint.

now does anyone have any good ideas for family members you hardly even see, rarely ever talk to, don't know what they've got and buy everything that they ever need or want?
    srsly ?? anything at all ??:worried: any ideas, all in 30's all married, kids, very little time for anything else. live 100s of miles away. ... any ideas please let me know.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Distant family members are one of those things...
    Example: my 11 year old brother. I know from my mom that he's into "Alice Cooper and that Rammstein band and LOTR."
    Great... He has the LOTR flicks already. I could buy the extended edition DVDs, but the features are more interesting to me than to him.
    His musical taste I have a description of, but quite frankly, I don't think that Rammstein is lyrically suitable for an 11 year old (german speaking) boy.
    On top of that, while I know tons and tons of metal, most of it is either too "evil" or has parental guidance stickers on it, or would drive my parents insane (not to mention that some of it is really deep in the scene, so I don't think it'd make a suitable gift for that age group). Literally the best I could come up with so far was a Best of Rob Zombie collection. It's somewhat like Rammstein, with a more rock twist... and then the first track on the album is "Welcome to planet m*therf*cker"... guess not, then.

Same with my odler sister (hadn't the family pitched in for the laptop): Religios nazi (and by that I mean "you're wrong... that's not how the bible was meant to be interpreted". I am talking about not playing paintball because it involves shooting at people, not drinking because God doesn't want us to... not even in food, and references to the bible whatever she talks about), Gym and Science teacher at a school where my dad's the headmaster. Literature is out. I'm bound to get it wrong, simply because I refuse to gift a bible to her. Movies I always get wrong, besides the fact that she has no means of watching them besides her laptop which is on it's last legs (and 8 years old). To give you an idea: For her 30th BDay in february, we got her a set of nice drinking glasses for her new house. boooooringggg. Fortunately that one was saved by the laptop idea and a special offer.

The really hard bit is my other brother: 22 years old, resides in Germany, where he's in the Air Force for the next 10 years or so still. Makes almost as much money there as I make here, with the difference that he has no expenses and is tax exempt. You're talking about someone that went and bought the iphone 3gs, 4, 4s as they came out, because he wanted them, rather than his contract expiring. What do I get for him? I don't even know what his house/room looks like over there. Whenever I ask him, he goes "nah... i have everything I want... I get to see my family over xmas"... tough one that, and I am still not sure... probably something "local" a funny Namibian shirt that reminds him of home.

4. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

sub'd for advice.

I'm working in India until the 10th of Dec (been here 4 weeks so far) so xmas presents will be purchased late and i really need to get my thinking cap on.
    (already asked everyone, no one wants a sari or a turban)

G/F - No idea, a watch? A spa weekend? She keeps mentioning how interested she's in genetics (lol 3 years i had no idea), maybe a book i've enjoyed previously. Argh its hard. She bought me a Transformer for my bday, no pressure then....

Sisters - Vouchers, its easier and to be honest, i know thats what they'll want and they wont mind me doing that or think it's unpersonal.

Dad - Guy who buys all the gadgets as and when he wants them, which makes this REALLY difficult for me, because i know his immediate interest, but he always buys what he wants - any ideas? He loved "mysteries of the universe" with brian cox, but i bet my life he'll already have bought that dvd set.

Girlfriends Sister - I got her for secret Santa, 50 quid limit - this is what i know about her: She's oldest sis, 2 young kids, sucessful businesswoman before having kids, smokes secretly from her mum still even though she's well in her 30s and has a collection of unique coca cola bottles

oh and lol @ the 3 for 2 boots advice. I've two older sisters, i know thats a bad call.

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

My mums gave tons of hints about her phone that its crap...And it doesn't work...

Guess what I'm getting her for Christmas ^.^

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Dirt3?

mediapcAddict likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Surely you know them well enough to have some idea of what they would like?

I can't say what I've got my GF as they're relevant to her, quite probably wouldn't be relevant for your case.

I'm only saying that as for once in my life I've already got my presents bought or ordered.

Organisation FTFW! For once. :lol:

8. PlayedStation

She's my GF, my job is not to listen to her anymore...... Perhaps i'll just buy at random from the black friday amazon sales and hope for the best. That's what santa would do right?

Jealous of your organisation. Good man

9. adidan

Perhaps we should all treat ourselves to some Christmas earplugs. :D

It's an odd feeling, I'm usually stressing myself hoping that the snow doesn't stop the postman on the final delivery day before Christmas. :D

10. PlayedStation

ah christ i hadn't even thought about the snow!

11. adidan

Can't wait.

Frickin love the stuff!

12. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

OK, so the vague plan for presents is as follows:

Dad: Sarah Millican DVD
    Mum: Colour-Coded Chopping Boards or 2 In 1 Jug & Scales
    Brother 1: Self-Stirring Tea Mug or Lego Yoda Alarm Clock - to go with his 9" Talking Yoda.
    Brother 2: Armour Through The Ages and maybe a new tattoo gun, but don't know too much about that
    Sister-In-Law: Killa-Kan Team and maybe Goff Rockaz
    Nephew 1: Random Power Ranger toy from somewhere
    Nephew 2: Fuzzy bear hat
    Nephews 1&2: Never know what to get them, so gonna get them something little to open on Christmas Day, and then give my brother and sister-in-law a cheque for them so they can buy them something big-ish.
    Close Friend: Go The F**k To Sleep! Audiobook read by Samuel L. "Snakes On A Motherf***in' Plane!" Jackson. :D
    Grandmother: 2 In 1 Jug & Scales
    Grandfather: Mophie Juice Pack for his now ageing iPhone 2g...

And I may get myself a little Chrimbo pressie - Samurai Umbrella! - having seen one of these bad-boys in real life they are awesome! So that might have to be done... :D
    And I think that's about it....

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  13. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I have to plan in advance just because some people are getting nothing for Christmas but they do have winter birthdays, so in these tough times the birthday is more special and I'll stick to those. Xmas and better times will be back next year.

Thankfully my Mum dropped hints about Barack Obama's books so I bought her all three of the old ones from before he was President, if she gets through those quickly (like most book lovers, she won't, she's got loads lying around) then there's the new one as well for next year. So the two DVDs I bought originally can be for Xmas now her birthday was sorted out last week.

The nephew and niece generally get cash, being teenagers I've never had any complaints ;)
    Mum always treats the niece with an actual physical gift, best let women buy for the girls to avoid the Boots disaster situation :hehe: - but I did chip in with an extra accessory to go with that gift this year.

The mate with a birthday in January, I'll just shout him a meal or something like that, or I'll fish for hints when I see him next week.

14. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

how about one of those genetics test that tests your risk for diseases etc.... nothing like the thought of your own mortality to bring christmas cheer.

srsrly though ... when giving books it's always nice when both people can read the book as that way you have something you can share and talk about.

ebay go to collectables and type in coke. I particularly like the signs in the advertsing subsection

religious music - either her favourite church or some of the old style carols from kings college oxford
    or if that too boring mottown christmas , or a Rat pack ( Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis ) chirstmas album.

This Voices: Chant From Avignon by Benedictine Nuns of Notre-Dame is both religious apparently and pretty haunting ( it's in latin so they could be singing about anything for all I know but apparently it is all about god )

and a bunch of monks also made a similar album that was pretty popular Chant - Music for Paradise by Cistercian Monks Of Stift Heilgenkreuz

of course you could promise that for 60 days you will go to church, pray to and try and believe in god and live by the bible. but that IMO is asking WAY too much and is almost like volounteering to try and brainwash yourself.

I feel your pain - Is he coming to Namibia for Xmas. does he miss Namibian beer? a particular Namibian food. does he follow a Namibian sports team ( namibian national football shirts can't be easy to get in germany??). If your handy with a camera and he misses namibia you could take a few photos of things that will remind him of namibia and send them out in a photo frame??

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
    PlayedStation likes this.
  15. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

As always I'm having difficulties on this too.

Dad - Restores Oil Paintings. Ludditish. Loves his watches, paintings and antiques. Anything in these areas?
    He does need a new wallet though. Leather, Dark Brown. Any recommendations?

My Mum and my Sister both ride horses (most of their time is spent doing horsey stuff) but they have almost everything that doesn't cost a ridiculous amount in that area. Still any suggestions appreciated. I doubt I will get anything here but worth a try.

All i can get out of my sister is "I need a laptop" or "I need a new phone" but these are slightly out of my budget.

Mum likes Mindf*ck films (Memento, Inception, etc) and books by an author called Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Having never read the books i have no idea what they are like, so any similar reads would be interesting.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Music is sadly a no-go...She only likes the "indy-musos" of gospel or something... if they call themselves anything besides "singer/songwriter" and have at least one badly played accoustic guitar, it's not right...She once claimed she was into "White metal", so I asked her what that was... she said (and I quote) "It's metal, but with christian lyrics and content". So I said "Oh... so like Demonhunter then". Big mistake... apparently a truly christian band would never call themselves something evil like "Demonhunter"... :rolleyes: I am also one of those people that believe in giving stuff I'd actually want, and stuff I know something about... Just like I wouldn't want my friends to pick PC parts for me (or games... ), I always give stuff I know something about, that I can actually proudly give away. Thankfully this sister got sorted over a month ago when I saw that Lenovo on special...

He misses Namibia, the cheap brandy (Richilieu for teh_win), the beer, etc. All fo which he'll have more than enough off when he comes (he already said: "I am touching down at 12:30 PM on the 23rd... you better have brandy, coke, ice, and cold beer... we're gonna get pissed.").
    I suck majorly with a camera, and Namibian sports teams are a joke (to a point where you can't even get Namibian soccer or rugby jersey's here, since they ONLY get made for the team - no joke... a few of my mates tried with the soccer and rugby world cups...).

Thanks for the tips, though... I'l probably pick up some shirts for him.. there's a company in south africa that do funny shirts, plays on brands ("Cocks - shoes for dicks" in the Crocs logo)... my brother loves those, and something tells me that they would be ahrd to get over there...

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

2 mortgages. We buy each other things year round and fail to see what makes Christmas any more or less special. Not to mention, this particular relocation was poorly timed and more expensive then usual.