1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Minecraft Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Nov 2011.

1. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Yet another "Opinion" and not even close to being an actual "Review."
    I suggest you Google the word "Review." There are also quite a few online dictionaries from which you can get a clue.
    I've never owned or held a single piece of a Lego, well, whatever it is. I owned "Lincoln Logs" which may, possibly, be something like I think Lego might be.
    Two out of three people in your office don't care for this game, or whatever it is, yet you still rate it at 90%, which is, again, a personal opinion and not any rating whatsoever.
    If you cannot even give a lucid account of what the program is, then you're exactly the wrong person reviewing this program. One of your higher-ups must be a relative and the one who gave you this job. You certainly aren't qualified to fill it.
    Happy Thanksgiving, or whatever you Limey's do.

2. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Minecraft is not a game, it is a tool for the imagination

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's great to see this Minecraft review was appreciated by important people outside of the UK. I don't know whatever it is you do in life but it must be very very important for you to have such a lofty opinion. We all bow down to your supreme-ness.

4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I loved Minecraft for a while, now I like it and give it an occasional go with friends, but I think folks take the whole like it or don't like it thing a bit seriously. It's a game, a cheap game to boot, and it is almost certain to provide you a decent amount of fun for the price. It's not a religion, it's not a football team, it's not a cult, it's just a game. Give it a spin, play until it stops being fun, then play more Skyrim.

Personally what caused me to get bored with Minecraft is I have absolutely no interest in the craft side of things, I actually really like the early game with a few mates trying to set up that first house, first mine, first food supply and so on. When it comes to building stuff in Minecraft for its own sake, I have no interest. But I don't resent the game the great many hours of fun I did get out of it.

5. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Every time I look at minecraft and the stuff - worlds! - people have created, I think that this would make a *great* foundation for an open [M|MM][O]RPG. No complicated fiddling with builder toolsets. Anyone who gets Lego can create content! :)

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I think the fact that I mention the opinions of others, write the entire review in the first person and qualify exactly what the parameters and futility of this review is makes it clear that it's intended to be an expressly personal opinion about a game where personal involvement is the defining characteristic.

I also think it's fair to adapt style to fit the game you're reviewing: this one is written in the first-person, defying house style for third person. Why? Because personal opinion is crucial for this game. You can't simply go: Graphic 3/10, Gameplay (whatever that is): 5/10, Sound: 3/10, Overall: 5/10 because that supposedly objective outlook won't create a realistic or meaningful picture of the game you're trying to review. Minecraft is loved by millions of people and, from playing it for a year, I know it's not a **** game; merely a divisive one...which is exactly the point given in the review.

I've never heard of Lincoln Logs.

But he

7. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Thanks, that's so kind! But we don't celebrate thanksgiving. We're busy working at our jobs, building minecraft worlds and writing "reviews" for website's which can be read by people across the atlantic while they're eating their families bodyweight in food and grossly over using the quotation to come across condescending scenario. I look forward to reading your review of Minecraft once you're back off your vacation.
    "Happy" "Thank" "s" "giving" to "you" too!

Back to topic, I still dont really get minecraft, I mean, I get it, I just don't enjoy it that much. I can see the enjoyment for others though, but I get the impression it takes alot of your time to really get stuck in and I just dont have that these days.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good review of a much loved game by many but I'm finding it hard enough to play through the games I already have, my game list even goes back to mass effect 2 which is completely unplayed, this is 1 example of many :eeek: due to people saying you should play through the first one :D I tried it for a few hours but just didn't enjoy it at all so is part 2 just more of the same? I'm at a point with my game collection where I have many high caliber games unplayed & this seasons steam sale is mocking me :lol: plenty of games to buy but is a bit pointless until I play through what I already have :D.

9. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I know what you mean. All these sales are tempting and they just increase your game backlog.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I guess minecraft offers a means to escape an overly complex reality. While reality is presented in ultra high definition with incredibly detailed textures, minecraft is the opposite with simple textured blocks. Reality is difficult to mould and shape to our will because of the many rules and regulations and being driven by the need to acquire money. Minecraft allows us to create whatever we want without the approval of big brother.

I don't own the game but I can envisage Minecraft the movie and some artists creating physical minecraft sculptures. How long before James May collaborates with an architect to create a real minecraft house?

11. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Just making the "Limeys" glad they lost the colonies.....

Also I have played Minecraft longer than any other game I have ever owned while being one of the cheapest. I like that.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Reading the review I felt like giving Mine-craft another go, but the silly website will let me reset my password etc but won't let me login.

Without a help / contact us page in sight I'm kind of stuck. Anyone know a way to resolve these sorts of issues? My username isn't strange, just standard alpha with a single underscore. For passwords it doesn't matter what I do, it'll accept a change but then tell me it's wrong when I try and use it.

I feel like I'm trying to hammer a round peg into Minecraft's extremely square holes!

13. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Hello people, I think my head is just about ready to buy Minecraft...

I like the redstone logic stuff as well cos I used to be designing logic circuits back in the AT's

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

16. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

For me, what seems to divide most opinions on Minecraft is the stage in which people discovered it. If you were one of the Alpha adopters, back when Survival mode was very basic and new, then you would appreciate the game that much more than those who picked it up in Beta. Also those who are only now finding it in its "finished" form are getting a "complete" game without having to persist with the endless mandiatory updates that was Alpha/Beta. I quite the above as I feel that minecraft is still a while of being 100% complete. Even notch says so.
    But it is compete enough to be called a release.

I agree with Joes review style as too many games are rated far too strongly on their Graphics Quality. Minecraft is not meant to be the next Crysis. It's all about the gameplay, and by not overdoing the visuals, this has allowed them to focus on the game mechanics and how it all works. Which to me is why Indie games even exist. They focus on the functional experience before the superficial.

17. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

I got the pirated version first from a friend and ended up burning something like 8 hours building the great wall of china. When i looked up at the clock i was shocked, had 8 hours really gone by that fast? I bought the game the next day. Enjoyed it ever since.

18. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

^Yeah, that's how it usually goes.

My friend said he got the pirated version, bought it a few days afterward due to its epicness.
    Me? I saw a friend playing it, Alpha 1.5. Wondered what it was.

Beta 1.7 comes out, I finally buy it.

19. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Joe, you nailed my biggest complaint with the game. There is no "recipe" book in-game. I have to play, just like you, with mikecraft wiki open in order to get anything done. I love the game, the possibilities are plentiful, but a little direction is what is needed. I mean really, who could EVER figure out how to make an enchantment stand on their own?

I really enjoyed the sandbox nature of Minecraft. To me, it is the momument of content/playability over graphics which is something that I have had a niggle over for a long time. Eye candy is not everything and you can even find beauty and amazement out of what is essentially a bunch of low-rez texured blocks making up a very appealing landscape.

I really like how the purchase and not so in your face DRM system is set up. it's simple and I think that people realized that it's just plain worth the money. The numbers speak for it.

I was also just cheering for Mojang and Notch. They created something amazing out of very little. They were nobodies and made gaming history. The fact that innovation wins over studios with big budgets just makes it awesome. You can't help but be proud of them and I love that they kept the community in touch what they were doing the whole time, even letting the community test pre-releases!

I believe Minecraft brought a boost to the PC gaming world and shows that PC gaming has a very strong place in the industry.

Also, I've had a lot of coffee this morning, sorry for the random essay I just wrote. XD

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'll love the red power mod :D

The thing with it is are the mods. The game itself is great, the mods make it epic! Now mojang have officially supported mods and released the SDK mods will become insane, and the adventure mode will become amazing. Just look at the Yogscast playing Deep Space Turtle Chase to see what you can do with it. I see lots of indi mini games being made with it.

I personally love the AMCO pack and Tecnic packs, AMCO is just too big though. As soon as the multiplayer mods are released and my deadlines are done I'm going to play it again in a big way...

Tags: Add Tags