1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What DSLR do you have?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Siwini, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

What type of DSLR camera do you have? And what is the best 1 out there if anyone knows?
    I used to have cannon T2i but now I'm thinking either to go for a canon t3I or sony A65. Sony A65 looks really good they use new translucent mirror technology and has 10fps shutter speed. Does anyone know how somthing like A65 compares to Cannon T3i?

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I have my trusty Sony A200, and ive literally just bought a t3i. Canon have a promotion on in the UK for £50 rebate

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
    Ratchet219 likes this.
  3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

What exactly are you looking to get out of your camera tha the T2i dosn't provide? High FPS is nice if you're shooting sports, I know nothing about translucent mirrors, and the 24mp sensor is useless on APS-c.

I do have to admit that I know nothing about sony cameras, but I'd stick with Canon or Nikon, for the sole reason of glass availability.

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I need is High FPS for fast moving objects and high mp.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

What's the best one out there? It depends what you shoot, and what you need. If you need high speed shooting, and low light, then probably the D3S. Need maximum quality above all else, then probably the D3X or 5D MkII.

Let's not forget though, a talented photographer will produce great work with any camera you put in his or her hands. People take photos, not cameras.

At the moment, I'm using a D7000 for most stuff while I wait for the D800 to be released. I also need 1080P video capability. If someone else doesn't then there are better cameras than both of those.

It's down to budget more than anything else. My advice is get something with full manual controls above all else. By full, I mean two command dials: One for shutter, one for aperture. Any other system sucks. Nothing worse than having to press a button AND rotate a dial because it only has one command dial.

You need to be able to take full control of the camera. One thing I notice these days in my role as a uni lecturer teaching this subject is students lately have no damned idea of exposure and exposure theory. They think that shooting, looking at the screen, deleting if it looks wrong, then making an adjustment of something they don't fully understand until it looks right on the screen is acceptable. It isn't. They don't even know what a histogram is! These are people who've got A levels and National Diplomas FFS!! This is why I still teach the technical theory using film. You can't delete and reshoot, and you have to know what you're doing.

Don't be one of these people. Get something with good manual controls, has a good range of lenses and is at least 12MP. It doesn't really matter what make, or model.

/thread.

...unless... being in the hardware forum... you have no great interest in Photography, and just want a decent camera for general use, then the T2i will do all you need it to do. Why do you need translucent mirror technology? The only advantage really is quieter operation and faster shooting speeds. If you need either of those things, then yes, it's a good move, if not, then it's a waste of money. You won't find many, if any professional cameras with this feature, so if they don't need it, why do you?

Ratchet219 likes this.
  6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Building on what Pook said, you don't need high FPS for fast moving objects. You need high shutter speeds. You just need to think about what you are doing and not 'spray and pray'. Don't forget, at higher FPS, you loose auto focus and light metering.

As for Sony's translucent mirror, you are loosing light transmission to the film plane. You can counter this with good glass, but that is going to cost you, especially with Sony.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I've got a 5DmkII

Whats the best camera? Depends what the job is your trying to do? (question with a question sorry lol) But i think Pooky & JJ Have covered it as above anyone.
    Just my 2p but there is a situation and a need for most camera features, if you want to print big you need High quality large files, if you want too shoot sequences for action sports you need High FPS, if you want to take family portaits then Blah list goes on...... It really depends on what you are trying to do.
    If your a hobbiest at the end of the day it normally boils down to 2 things
    What you can afford? & What your happy with using?

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Still using my very first- a Nikon D50.
    Currently got an 18-55mm lens but got a 70- 300 nikkor arriving for christmas.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

A D80 which I bought in feb 2007, and a D700 which I have been using for paid work.

As others have said, there's no best one for every man. Different camera for everyone. Things like af speed, mp, weight all come into the choice. I wanted AF speed as well as accuracy rather than mp, so that explains my choice for the D700 over a 5Dmkii. My choice for the D80 over the 450D at the time was due to the D80 having a brighter viewfinder and to me, better ergonomics, although many will tell you ergonomics are all down to the individual.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Canon 1100D - £180 smackers with Tesco/Jessops clubcard vouchers FTFW!

11. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I've got a 5D, which is an awesome body, but I wouldn't recommend it for fast moving objects. The AF wasn't improved that much on the 5D mkII, so I think the 7D would be a better fit for your needs.

Or if if money isn't an issue and you really want the BEST (from Canon), then go crazy and get a 1D mkIV... but honestly, if you need to ask then I doubt you should spend that kind of money on a body. Don't forget you'll need quality glass to match it.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

13. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Canon EOS 10D :p £140 from CeX, B condition but just a tiny little blue smudge and a crappy battery. I'd say the best price/performance camera is either the 600D or 5D mkII from what I've heard (I haven't heard much about Nikons, so I can't comment on them, but I know they're just as good)

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Nikon D3100 with the standart 18-55 VR kit lens.
    And a 35mm 1.8 arriving for christmas (that's what black pete told me anyway.)

15. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I have a 600D. Has been really good to use and allows your to be really creative thought some of the more technical features are tucked away in the menu.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Until recently I had a 1Ds2 and 5D; I now have a 7D and 5D.

Don't get a camera because of the gimmicks; get one with features that you will make use of. Not many people need 10fps. :thumb:

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Pentax K-x.

Stuck a KatzEye in there to add split-prism focussing.

Also, pretty much this.

18. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I got myself 60D now. I hope that was a good choice. What you think about it Pookey? For some reason it takes better pictures when I’m in AV mode rather than manual.

Ratchet219 likes this.
  19. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

HAHAHAH, Nikon Fanyboy ;D

But really what Pookeyhead is entirely correct, it all depends on what you shoot, I've got a Canon 5D MK II, it is a brilliant Camera, and perfect for almost everything I do, with the Full Frame meaning I can get amazing pictures, even in low light, as I do alot of Gig photography and landscapes (when I have the time) this was the perfect camera for me.

But now I want to photograph motor racing event's I'm more likely to need an entirely new camera, as the FPS and frame buffer on the 5D Mk II just doesn't cut the mustard, also the Full frame in this instance is a bit of a hindrance as you don't get the 1.5 (or whatever it is on canon) crop factor ratio for the len's, which helps when shooting car's travelling quickly from behind a fence :D

Hence why in this instance I'd be better of going for a second Camera body, something like a 7D, but this would be a very expensive outlay, hence why I shall probably just end up going for the 5D MK III when Canon FINALLY release it and it should fix two of my three problems :)

dhm likes this.
  20. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Had a Nikon D3000 but it got stolen from my own house during a house party :(
    ..still can't really believe it. Didn't have it long enough to give you any sound advice other than the Nikon Nikkor 35mm lens is a lovely affordable piece of kit. Wide aperture allows shooting decent shutter speeds in low light.

So now I'm rolling old skool with a Pentax ME and an Olympus Trip35

Last edited: 12 Dec 2011