1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Yet another possible upgrade thread.... (might give in to the IPS love)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 28 Nov 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As above really, put up one of these threads a while back, and got told to get an SSD, got one, seems to be an improvement (although not quite as much as some made it seem)

I was also told to get rid of my current monitor and get something 'decent'.
    Currently got a 28" Hanns.G which I love, since watching films etc on it is awesome. However, since I want something new, am tempted at getting a 'decent' monitor.
    And so was wondering what people would suggest, a single U2410 (£250) a single u2711/2 U2410s (£500) or a U3011 (£800)
    Or ofcourse one of those 27" hazro screens for around £410 which seem rather good, although aren't in stock for another couple of weeks...

Or something else entirely, would rather have 16:10 ratio if possible.

Edit:
    Ignore the U3011 for now, don't think I can afford it right now.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If your budget allows, definitely get the U3011. You'll need one hell of a GPU to power games on it though.

3. GeorgeStorm

Hmm, not entirely sure if I can afford it, and got a 570, which I couldn't afford to upgrade at the same time.

Might remove it from the options for now actually.

4. noizdaemon666

Good thinking lol I'd go for the U2410/U2412M. Both are 1920x1200, both are IPS. The U2410 has a CCFL lamp whereas the U2412M has an LED backlight. Pros and cons to both. Some can't discern the difference (CCFL should have brighter whites) and the U2410 is getting harder to find I believe.

Also the 570 will be adequate power for it, unlike the bigger U2711 which would probably require a GPU upgrade to be maxing games on it.

Oh and you realise movie watching will be subject to black lines at the top and bottom of the screen don't you? Just thought I'd point that in case :hehe:

5. GeorgeStorm

But would the increase in picture quality or whatever, be worth the downgrade in size, that's what I'm worried about :/

6. noizdaemon666

Depends how far away you generally sit from your screen and what you really use it for. If it's mainly for gaming I'd stick to the U2412M. If you're more into movie watching I'd say of the lot the U2711 would be the best for you. But then even Blu-Ray films will need to be upscaled to go full screen.

7. GeorgeStorm

I'm 2-3 feet away, and I mainly use it for gaming/watching films etc

However money is the issue, just trying to work out what would be 'worth it'
    Friend just suggested getting 2 LG panels for the same price as the DELL 2412M :/

Argh I just don't know

8. noizdaemon666

Why 2? Can't game on 2 (easily or comfortably) and you certainly don't want to be stretching a film over 2 lol

Personally I'd sacrifice 4 inches of screen real estate and get the U2412M. Gaming will take less of an impact as it isn't a super high resolution and it's a very good screen at a decent price. Soon enough you won't notice the smaller screen.

9. GeorgeStorm

Just cos it's much better value :p

But I'm with you, far rather have one nicer screen. At this rate I think I'll go for the U2412M. Just waiting for Goodbytes to have his say :p

10. noizdaemon666

Read his sticky thread if you need more info :thumb: I think for what you're doing the U2412M is the best value for money. More GPU horsepower would be needed above that for gaming. And no point going below because you won't be able to power 3 screens for gaming with your 570 lol

11. GeorgeStorm

Haha yeah, guess I'll go for the DELL u2412M then :)

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Don't make a rash decision as everybody will bring a different experience to the table. I went from the exact same Hanns-G you have to a 23" 1080p monitor and if I'm being honest I really missed the size, but at that time I was selling off a few things to make money; I would never have sold the HannsG otherwise.

When I started trading as a photographer I struggled to chose between two 24" and one 30" monitor, and eventually opted for the dual 24" option based on productivity. I loved the setup for everything except gaming and watching movies. Since my work PC is also my home PC, I soon regretted not buying a 30" from the outset, but recently I bit the bullet and made the change 14 months later. I lost A LOT of money on my 24" NECs but got an amazing deal on a U3011 (and a free 2007FPb from a very kind friend).

Since you're ruling out the U3011 (which is £750 if you buy refurbished, not £800), then the obvious choice is the U2711 or the Hazro 27".

Bear in mind that the difference between TN and IPS is often overhyped on this forum, as I attempted to demonstrate in Goodbytes' "Everything about monitors - Guide" thread. Having owned both the HannsG and the U3011 I can tell you that the biggest difference is size/resolution, not picture quality. The panel in the HannsG monitor suffers from the same vertical colour shift that all TN panels suffer from, but the large IPS panel in the U3011 is not without fault and suffers from black glow which is very similar to vertical colour shift.

I'd say if you can afford it, get the U2711 or the Hazro - your graphics card is very well suited to that resolution (and probably a bit wasted on 1920x1200 IMO).

:thumb:

13. noizdaemon666

Not to disagree with Lenny here (he knows far more than me about a lot of things) but I think the GTX 570 is a bit underpowered for the U2711 resolution. It'll play the games at that res, but you won't be maxing things out on the eye candy side of things.

Oh and I must agree (after disagreeing :D) about TN and IPS, a good quality TN panel can give near as damn it same quality as a budget IPS panel. After seeing some decent quality TN panels where I work, my LG IPS no longer seems so brilliantly wonderful.

14. GeorgeStorm

Argh, just what I didn't need (another opinion more like mine, which is that IPS panels are a little overhyped here) :p

I do like the look of the Hazro, so am tempted by it.
    The u27 is basically 2 U24s in terms of price :/
    (and btw where are the U30s 750, NRG have them for 800)?

Anyone had any actual experience with the Hazro?

Also, since people might actually read this thread, any recommendations for a keyboard? Currently got a Logitech G510, but it's a little big, and I don't use any of the macros anyways, so am thinking of getting something different (also you can't press left shift, space and the right arrow key at the same time, which sucks for some games)

LennyRhys likes this.
  15. noizdaemon666

Not had actual experience, but frm what I've read they seem pretty decent. No all dancing fandabidozey toast making monitor. Just a few inputs (DVI and the like) and a decent quality screen. What a monitor should be really to be honest.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You have a valid point, but it does depend on the games, which perhaps George can help us with - only a small handful of the most recent games really push a very capable graphics card like the 570 to its limit.

I play older games like Borderlands and HL2, and a single GTX460 maxes them out on my 30" no problemo... on the contrary, Crysis sits at about 30fps with SLI enabled but looks very fine indeed. :D

Yes, several - not so much with the monitor itself, but with their appalling customer services. Based on Dell's vast superiority in this department, I'd say it was well worth spending (or saving up) the extra for the U2711. I'm a total Dell fanboy now... it's shocking!!!

17. GeorgeStorm

At the moment, I don't play any demanding games if I'm honest, TF2 is about as tough as it gets :p
    Also though looking to buy Anno 2070, which is quite a pretty game.

Hmm ok, will have to see how much exactly I can get for my current monitor, and maybe try to sell another item or two for the £490 needed :p

Suddenly realised....
    What about this?
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=221295

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Lol George :D

If it's size you want, you need to save up; if you want to save money rather than "save up" money (which seems to be the case), then you need to forefeit size.

Nobody can tell you what your preference should be! You have to decide which is most important to you (as I did) - saving money, or getting a big beasting monitor that makes your eyes water with happiness. :D

19. GeorgeStorm

Haha yes indeed, I'm no good at shopping, far too indecisive, but I was meaning possibly that compared to the U2412M, since I'm not sure how they compare, wondered which would be better.
    I can probably afford the U27 right now, but having damaged a friends car while drunk on Saturday, and with bills coming up, don't want to risk it without making sure I've weighed up all of the options.

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Dell U2410 is a much better display than the U2412M, in term of feature but also picture quality. It's not to say that the U2412M is awful, it's pretty good... but it's more entry level IPS than the U2410 is more in the range of descent.

True, but if you want a good laugh. Your work probably paid more then your LG IPS. Making a TN panel this good, seams to cost more than a simple entry level IPS. AND that TN panel doesn't have the wide view angle. Their loss really.

I really have to update (and finish) my guide... been very busy lately due to university end of term period :/ Sorry about that.