1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Zotac ITX Rebox -12th Feb - Completed - MOTM nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bugeye, 8 Nov 2011.

1. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Your work with acrylic is very good, I'm jealous... help me build a plate I'm gonna need for my build haha :)

2. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

Awesome acrylic work. :dremel: Cant wait next update...

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Cool idea with the foam cutter. I will have to keep that in mind, for future projects.
    I guess the bends are more precise using this method?
    However, it's looking realy promising.
    Keep it up :thumb:

4. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far - I'd like to see other colors myself (for purchase ;) )

5. Liighthead

Liighthead What's a Dremel?

sorry my bad

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  6. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks for the comments :)

Thanks The_Gnu . The strip heater works really well . The acrylic bends exactly where you want it to . Much better than the heat gun .... sort of like the difference between and chainsaw and a scalpel only it's quicker too , about 45 secs for the 2mm . So more like a petrol powered scalpel ......

I was going to do different coloured side panels as I can cut them myself and I've got a few different colours .... do you think that is enough or would you like to see different coloured covers too ?

7. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

Can you give more details of the strip heater? Just the voltage, current and type of wire

8. Liighthead

sorry 1st post x 3 >.<

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  9. Liighthead

hey nice work on the bender. details ect how to make one? been looking around for one :)
    also nice work on the case ( and your last cases ) :) ill be watching this thread for more updates from you should be good

10. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Now I'm not 100 percent on all this but .... The transformer I'm using says 30 volts and 2 amps the wire is about .5mm in diameter so I think it's 24 swg , it's NiChrome wire . You can buy it on ebay .

If you look on the pictures you can see that although the wire is about 1300mm long one of the electrical connections is adjustable so you can fine tune the temperature . Moving that connection a couple of inches makes a noticeable difference . Hope that helps :)

Today's progress ....

Now I'm a bit more certain about where I'm going with this I started on an accurate template for the base .

[​IMG]

First proper go at a base .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a jig to hold everything square while gluing the sides on .

[​IMG]

Bit of weight to hold everything steady .

[​IMG]

Sides stuck :)

[​IMG]

And a trial fit with the old top .

[​IMG]

Now I know I said I wanted to keep the front face clean but now that I look at it I rather like the white edge of the top showing .....

[​IMG]

11. Xer0-

Xer0- Waste of space

:clap:

beautifully done.

my plexi never turns out that precise when bending it.

12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Wow that is really good!

13. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

You make it look so easy to bend acrylic! Thanks for the details - I think it's mainly the current that matters, so as long as whatever I use can supply 2A I should be fine :)

14. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Now if you could make something that could fit a mATX system, I'd be interested. I'd be curious as to how much that would cost to get shipped over to the states.

15. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Very nicely done - nice and clean.

16. Liighthead

yeah thanks ill have a lookies around for some wire ect.. how do you think 12v 20amp would do?
    more amp/volts? do you think..
    also do you think it would damage/hurt the psu? sorry if to many questions :p
    was thinking of like a voltage control/psu ( build both from local ele. store )

nice work ( again :p ) like the colors

17. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

wish i had that much skill! :jawdrop:

18. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

when do these go on sale ?? :D
    nice clean work :thumb:

19. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks ! .... the strip heater helps a lot .

Cheers Razer :thumb:

I'm not sure I'm making it look that easy ;) it's taken me about 25 attempts to get this far and it's still not 100% :)

Re the transformer etc ... tbh I've got just enough knowledge of things electrical to get myself into trouble :naughty: All I can really say is that my transformer is 30V and 2A but before I took the power supply apart to check the transformer ( I built it about 15 years ago so was a little vague on it's spec ) I measured the resistance of the wire and came up with about 7 ohms . Using V=IR I come up with about 4A seems high to me . I checked what the resistance of NiChrome wire is and it's supposed to be about 100 microhms per cm so for the length of wire I'm using about 10 ohms or 3A . See what I mean ..... just enough to get myself into trouble :duh:

I don't think the design would scale up to mATX . I mean to be honest it's a simple box :) no support for a psu , I don't think the 2mm would be rigid enough at that size , nothing for hdds , no real way to fit an expansion card etc . By the time you've sorted all those thing out the case costs more than a high end ali case . There is someone on here who makes cnc perspex cases , I can't remember his user name but I think he's based in Australia ? They are very very nice .

To ship this case to the USA would be about £15

:thumb:

Hi Liighthead ..... see my reply to Fredcompany and just to say it again I'm really not sure :blush:

The strip heater is really simple . Just a bit of wire held in tension some how . I made the tensioning bolts but a simple spring or even a bit of bungee cord would do it . Fit all to a base and make something to support the acrylic above the wire :)

You probably do :)

If the costs for the laser cutting work out , sometime in the new year . If you are that keen ;) I might have a 'pre-production' one sooner :) ( still likely to be in the new year though )

20. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

with all the time in the world i couldnt get quality like that! :D:sigh:

Tags: