1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Streaming MP4 (M4v) from NAS to PS3

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by xaser04, 28 Nov 2011.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hi all,

I have a slightly odd issue around streaming MP4 files from my NAS to my PS3.

The issue basically surrounds certain files showing as "unsupported file type" on the PS3.

The files in question are Rips of The Big Bang Theory encoded using H264 into MP4 format using Handbrake. All files from one DVD were ripped at the same time yet some will play whilst others will show as unsupported.

All of the files in question play perfectly either through WMC (WMP) or XBMC on any of my PC's.

Has anyone had the same issue?

I am totally stumped as to why this would occur, especially as it only affects certain files which seem to play perfectly.

My 360 can't play any of them which isn't a suprise.

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

My guess would be that the audio codec is what's causing the issue (my experience, anyway). What is the Audio format and is it at all different on the files which work/don't work?
    Though, the PS3 does not have direct support of the MP4/M4V container.

Also, it may be worth changing the extension from MP4 to M4V (both are exactly the same but it can make things work sometimes).

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

All files were encoded identically using Handbrake (same audio codec etc). I just added them to the queue one after the other. Some play, others are unsupported.

My understanding is that the PS3 does support MP4 files:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

I am somewhat confused as to why the support seems sporadic on otherwise identical files. It isn't a massive problem as I can just hook up my laptop ad-hoc but it would be nice to have the PS3 do the job it should be able to do. (I know I could use PS3 media server but I would rather not have another system running if I can help it).

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Check and see if your NAS supports transcoding; this is where a file format is converted on the fly during playback by the media server application on the NAS.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It doesn't support transcoding, it only acts as a uPNP/DLNA media server.

This doesn't explain why some of the files play whilst others don't though. :confused:

6. Fantus

WMC and XMBC both transcode. You need to look at the audio tab in handbrake, see exactly what the audio is being converted to. Handbrake, for me, converts to AC3 (Dolby Digital) and H.264.

A little digging shows that Handrake uses a variant of the AAC codec called FAAC, this is known to be a bit iffy (Apple users get a different one). I think it may be worth looking at using a different program to Rip/Convert.
    I've been using this one, converts from almost anything to anything and can pull straight from a DVD. I'm using it with an Xbox though, I used PS3MediaServer for the PS3 to transcode everything.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

This doesn't explain why other MP4 files play perfectly on the PS3 (Black books encoded in exactly the same way using Handbrake).

EDIT: Just double checked some of the Big Bang Episodes.

Season 1 - Episode 13 won't play - unsupported format

Season 1 - Episode 14 plays perfectly - it was ripped / encoded directly after episode 13.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Adam Bagpuss had a very similar issue. He converted a load of MKVs to MP4 using Handbrake. Turned out it was HandBrake that just didn't like doing that type of conversion. Some would work, and some wouldn't. Maybe it's HandBrake's handling of the MP4 format and how it does the conversion just being hit and miss. I'd try a different converter.

xaser04 likes this.
  9. Fantus

It could do. As Noiz said, some could be going through OK while others scramble. The best bet would be to do the failed ones again in Handbrake along with trying a different encoder and see if any start working. Like I said, FAAC is known to be a bit quirky.

xaser04 likes this.
  10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

That could be the issue, as odd as it seems.

Thanks guys.

I think I will leave it for now as my laptop can play all of the files using XBMC natively. I will just plug it into my TV when I want to stream or pop in the DVD (which would take less effort... lol).

Ironically, despite having most of my DVD collection on my NAS I often get the DVD out anyway. :eek:

11. Fantus

I tend to use the server if I'm not sure what I want to watch and just pick something, DVD/BluRay if it's planned.

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i had a similar issue when converting mkv to mp4 but mine threw up an error screen when opeing the mkv as the source.

As noiz said it only happens on SOME of the mkv rips not all.

ive kinda bypassed the issue as im getting a media pc for the lounge so wont have an issue and can use all my mkvs.

13. Andie

Andie What's a Dremel?

rely

:clap:MP4 is compatible for PS3, but if you want to watch the M4V format movie , that's ok . You can use a converter ,Like this , M4V to MP4 Mac provides versatile settings and features as well. Edit functions are also supported perfectly in this M4V to MP4 Mac, you can take snapshot in preview window, trim the video and audio clip and set the output settings such as destination and the name of the output files, etc. M4V to MP4 Mac provides so simple, easy and fast conversion for you!

14. noizdaemon666

Andie, that specific program only works on Macs. I use Freemake Video Converter after Blazza181 suggested it. Worked flawlessly so far :thumb:

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Or I could just plug in my laptop via HDMI to my TV and watch any of the episodes via XBMC....

Much easier than working out exactly which files don't play on the PS3 and converting them.

16. noizdaemon666

The easiest routes are often the best lol

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yup, LOL! :D

TBH I will probably just get the DVD's out of the cupboard that is right underneath the TV and plonk them into the PS3. My laptop is upstairs which means, you know; going upstairs :p