1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC Build: Gaming / TSQL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toka, 29 Nov 2011.

1. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Hey All,

Apologies for adding to the interminable list of build advice threads, but there are a couple of options that Im not sure on and could do with some extra input.

Budget: £1500
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming / Visual Studio / Server Management Studio (TSQL Database stuff)
    Parts required:
    CPU: i7 2600K
    Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
    Mobo: P67 - this one?
    Memory: 8GB 1600MHz

GPU: GTX 570 (hopefully this one is nice and quiet)

SSD: 128GB Crucial M4
    HDD: 1TB

Case: Silverstone FT02
    Monitor: 1080p 23" IPS panel - this one seems popular here :)

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Previous build information (list details of parts):Im currently using a C2D/5870/2GB RAM, hoping to carry a couple of parts over into a new build and create a pc from the old bits for parents to browse the web with. Ill be stealing the 850W PSU from here, and I have a spare copy of Windows 7 already
    Monitor resolution: 1080p
    Storage requirements: I need at least 500GB, and unfortunately I cant carry the HDD over from my old build
    Will you be overclocking: Yes - looking for 4.5GHz from the 2600k

TL;DR The 3 bits that I need extra help with are the mobo, case and gpu.

I am a bit bewildered by the array of choices in mobos, in the end I just went for a Bit-Tech recommended one, as the MSI GD53 in the buyers guide seems a little scarce. All I need from my mobo are some SATA III decent overclocking and (the tricky bit) if possible the space to fit a second gpu in SLI at a later date.

Ive gone for the FT02 case as I am not planning to watercool and all of the reviews that I have seen say it is a efficient and quiet case. I just want my case to help me make my pc as quiet as I can (I admit that the 4.5GHz overclock is a spanner in the works here). Can anyone suggest alternative?

For the GPU I chose a quiet tripple slot cooler design, but Im thinking that if I added a second in SLI at some point then there would not be any space between the cards and one would run hotter and noisier than it should. Does anyone know of a GTX 570 with a quiet double slot cooler?

Many thanks in advance - little jars of christmas chutney (home made - not yoghurt!) for helpful folks :)

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think your wasting your money replacing the 5870 as mine still handles everything thrown at it. I'm Playing BF3 at 1680x1050 with nearly everything set to Ultra with out any issues. I would keep your GPU just now and keep saving and see what the next gen cards offer in a few months time as your card will easily see you through until then.

3. SouperMatt

SouperMatt What's a Dremel?

If you do decide to go with a 570 I highly recommend the Gainward Phantom. Top card.

4. bortak

bortak What's a Dremel?

+1 to that, the 5870 still packs a punch, I wouldn't bother replacing it, I can play 90% of games on max (1680x1050), and that's with CPU that doesn't even compare to the 2600K

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

might want to opt for the z boards...plenty of features to make it worth a little more, and should be compatible for ivy bridge down the road...

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I upgraded from a 5870/6950 to a 570 Phantom and couldn't be happier, while it does outperform the ati cards, it's the noise and heat reduction that made it for me.

7. bortak

bortak What's a Dremel?

well obviously... going from 2 cards to one will be quieter and cooler lol, not to mention a reduced power drain.

8. GeorgeStorm

You misunderstand, I was only running one of those cards at a time, just had them both, swapped them between two systems.

9. bortak

bortak What's a Dremel?

ahh I get it, I'm guessing your ATI cards had the stock coolers though right?, either way they're not the quietest things ever ^_^

10. GeorgeStorm

Yes indeed, hence why I went for a non reference 570

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Dont be buying a hdd just yet, prices are still way OTT.

12. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Thats a great shout guys it has given me something to think about for sure :) PM me an address if you would like some home made christmas chutney - I have red onion marmalade, apple chutney, or apricot/prunes/dates/spices chutney.

Ive also somehow managed to miss the gainward card (looks clean and quiet) so if I do upgrade now thats one for me to look for.

HDD, unfortunately I have to buy as I plan to give the old pc to parents

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

They are more than twice the price they were a month back, if you can use other storage in the meantime then do it and hang on for another month or so.