1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project: L3p L4n - Mod Of The Year 2012 Nominee.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by l3p, 26 Jun 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:jawdrop: Big congrats with all the sponsorships mate, hopefully I'll hang in pc modding long enough to enjoy similar :D l3p desk generated a mountain of interest from all over the place :clap::thumb:.

Keep at it :).

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  2. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Thanks Waynio! :clap:
    I'm very sure your day will come with the latest mod I've seen from you :)

3. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

The MARS II is a great looking card, it's even fine without modifications to it. Good luck with it! :)

4. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Congratulations on the sponsorship. Not at all jealous.

This does look lovely, liking the clean look to it.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I've made a quick to scale comparison and the PCB is not exactly the same. The left chip and NF200 are identical, but the right chip is a little more to the right.

[​IMG]

6. bugbear974

bugbear974 What's a Dremel?

Want see MARS II!! hurry up man

7. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Thanks RevDarny!

Wish I was in the position to hurry it, can't wait to see it either :)

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

You're welcome :thumb:. Keep up the great job, I can't wait to see it finished.

9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Looking at this, could you use a slightly modified VRM block from the Asus Rampage x58 board for the other hot running components as they seem to run pretty linear? Only a thought, youve probably planned it out already but thought id mention it!

10. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Absolutely stunning once again. I followed the desk project intently and this is shaping up to be as good if not better tbh.

The Mars II looks like an absolute beast, can't wait to see what you do with it. And I've completely fallen in love with that motherboard from your pics - Asus, this boy just got you another purchase soon!

Subbed, followed, 5 Stars... erm, anything else I need to do?? :)

11. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

love the work l3p keep it up (=

12. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

we have recivied 4 MARS II cards in my job and all of them had the same problem, No Pic and the fan was scraping against the shroud

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's a long shot but would it be possible to mod a couple of 580 blocks to support it, if not probably need to go with plain blocks on it & bung individual heat sinks on the ram, volt regulators etc which may need a brush of air going over them.

If you had a mill or access to one you could probably relocate the copper that sticks out for the heat transfer by milling the risen bits flat & fixing new copper in the right spots on a 590 block, pretty extensive scary mod though but so is modding this expensive case :D.

If that dremel router attachment with a milling bit placed inside is capable of doing that I'd be totally sold on wanting to get one :D:thumb:.

edit:
    :duh: just thought, totally different mountng points so not doable or if it is, would be very difficult to do right. So I think individual blocks would be best, you could probably make a nice shroud for it also to compliment it :).

14. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Why dont he ask Angel ?
    He is very capable on doing wc-blocks ?

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Thanks for thinking of me KoSoVaR! :)

Only a couple of problems. I don't really have the time to take on a project of that magnitude, especially since it's probably kind of in a hurry! :)
    And also there is no way to really help out if one does not have the board and blocks in front of me... :)

But I'm definately gonna follow along on the voyage of this GFX card, to see how it works out! :thumb:

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I think the closest you can get is to buy a GTX 590 waterblock, tear it apart, examine the internals, then buy a huge slab of copper and have it custom-made off a modified design of the 590 block.

That or just, y'know, buy a couple of Chip only Waterblocks and cool the rest normally with air?

EDIT: More frustratingly; Bitspower appears to have built a Waterblock for the original MARS, but not one for the MARS II. Bugger.

17. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Wow! .... Guess I missed an email lol.
    Thanks for all the support guys! :clap:

Thanks a lot Crazyblade! You've done more then I could ever expect :)

Thanks digitalerr0r!

I'm a guy who needs to see and feel things first before I can start something :)
    I already got 2 universal EK gpu blocks, and since EKWB sponsored them for this mod I want to try if there's a way to use them first.

As above, will try to use the universal blocks first, hope they'll fit. Else I will have to come up with something else.
    I don't think the Dremel miller is capable of doing the job, it was more meant for acrylic etc :)
    (Guess I will try it someday)

Thanks both of you! :clap:
    But as Angel said, I can imagine it's a mod project on it's own. He would also need the card and blocks for it.
    Will only cost a fortune to send it over twice I guess.
    And second, I don't even have the card yet, need to touch it first :p

Thanks TuNdRa!
    I will first see if I can use the Universal blocks in any way :)
    If that doesn't work I can always try the gtx590 block idea.

18. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well, I agree. It's quite a project! :)

But I only live in Denmark, so shipping wouldn't be THAT bad! :)

But the idea of tearing apart a 1000+ Euro graphic card and messing with it, also feels wrong when it's not my own! :lol:

You're gonna be like Gollum when you get your hands on that baby! "MYYY PRECIOUSSSSSS" :lol:

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Yet more Google-Fu reveals that there are no universal blocks for 590-styled boards. Even though the mounting holes around the GPU are identical to the standard 590. I think you could just make a new mounting plate from a sheet of Alu for a Universal block, however.

Only issue would then be cooling everything but the GPUs. Moar fan and lots of little heatsinks?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  20. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Lol Forgot Denmark was right above me :p

I just need to have it in my hands like Angel said, as Gollum, too see and feel whats possible when the aircooler is off :)