1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transformer Prime

Discussion in 'ASUS' started by r3loaded, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We're sending Anandtech another model cause that WiFi issue is not present in any other unit we know of.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Canny wait till it's launch here in Blighty.

Sam

4. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I've been telling myself I don't need one of these - and I could just make do with something like the Kindle Fire or alike since most of the time I just want a nice web-browser tablet... however, the whole keyboard dock thing really works for me - would allow me to ditch my 12" laptop (which I regularly write lengthy documents on) and also my 9" netbook (which I tend to do my browsing on - i.e. what I'm on at the mo!). At around £500 inc keyboard dock (if that's what it comes out at) it presents good value for money too against it's high end rivals.

Only thing thats missing is Adobe Photoshop - however, I feel this is beyond even my expectations for a tablet :p - hell it's probably what my gaming rig is for!

So, any word on a definitive UK release date? Would be nice if I could get one for Christmas (although having looked at Bindibadgi's initial response I'm not too hopeful)

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

There's Adobe Photoshop Touch in the market for £7 which can do quite a bit on a tablet. But for more powerful editing you'll certainly want all the power your desktop can throw at it!

I'm trying to find an equivalent for vim on Android - it'd enable me to do a lot of my work on it, and it'll suit the physical keyboard perfectly. No apps in the market unfortunately...

6. Shadow of Intent

Shadow of Intent What's a Dremel?

Regarding the UK release I stumbled across an interesting piece of info where I work, we will be stocking the Prime when its released but I didn't know anymore than that. I did however find this on our instore system which is the SKU of one model, btw I don't know which as it doesn't tell me. Take this as you will as nothing is set it stone but thought it might be interesting:

[​IMG]

I want one, might be skipping the keyboard dock as ive yet to think up a reason to own it but I definitley want the 32gb amethyst gray model.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would suggest any date you see if tentative. We've had waaaaaaaaaay more pre-orders than we anticipated and afaik they're cranking them out as fast as they can get the parts. :(

No one went out of business from too much demand, but it doesn't half create a headache for social media and marketing >_<

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

^^ On the plus side, it must be heartening for you guys to see that not everyone rides on the Apple bandwagon!

Hopefully, the current short supply shouldn't bother me too much - I've pencilled in a purchase for late January, after my income tax refund comes in and my first semester exams are over. :D

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nobody ever did; Apple just genuinely did have the better products on the market.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nice use of past tense there :thumb:

;)

11. Shadow of Intent

Shadow of Intent What's a Dremel?

Yeah like I said, nothing is set in stone however the benefit of me working somewhere that its sold is I can put aside one for myself before they even get to the store :p

Been a massive fan of ASUS products, we have just got the UX21 ultrabook in and its a beautiful machine and I always try my best to get suggest the transformer over an iPad especially if a customer wants to be able to do office based work.

Saw the weird advert for asus laptop with the sub lol wahts up with the peacock thing. Also im assuming your name is from Red Dwarf Bindibadgi :p

12. Nexxo

's True. The Transformer Prime wins out over the iPad. And if Microsoft can release a tablet with Windows 8 Metro interface and a battery life that does not fall over after 90 minutes of moderate use, Apple really has to worry.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Roll on Q3 then! ;)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes it is! :D:D

Creative director at the agency decided it :duh:. Apparently he's a famous guy. The bio's of the people that put it together are at www.insearchofincredible.com.

15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Want want want....

Are the ICS FOTA updates for the 101 & 201 coming out around the same time? And will it be this side of xmas? ;)

16. Nexxo

Your wink intrigues me...

17. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's roughly the same time-frame as when the various SoC vendors launch their Cortex A15 designs too...

Transformer Megatron? :hehe:

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Considering beta is tipped for early Q2, I expect Q3ish given Vista/7 beta-RC-gold dev time.

In the words of John Carmack: It'll be done when it's done ;)

19. Nexxo

I'm more worried about CPU power vs. battery life than the OS side of things. Everyone can slap Windows 8 on a tablet, but can they make it run smoothly for at least 10 hours?

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Very true Nexxo, we will have to wait and see what happens once Windows 8 is actually released to the public, either in Beta or Full Release. Personally, i still can't wait to give it a try, and i also love the idea of being able to play a game like Red Alert 2 on a Tablet (not that it would work without a mouse)

Sam