1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No base-rape is a fair rule, as far as I'm concerned; and not an arbitrary one. Given that DICE have only made a token effort to fix the base-rape problem in BF3 (though the effort is there, it has to be said); it's a rule that makes sense for most servers.

It's rare that a whole team will quit just because of a couple of camping snipers or mortar-spammers; but a team getting thoroughly base-raped will empty a server pretty fast.

The rules that irritate me are limitations on what equipment players are 'allowed' to use which only try to turn BF3 into CSS or something.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

To clarify on my point, my AA that I was using was covering air (many of you can attest to that ;) ) and also clearing a couple of the CAPPABLE flag points on the map. I couldn't even see the enemy uncap. :)

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

DICE did a pretty good job of making sure no base rape. i figure as long as you are not parked with view to their airfield and shooting into it. you have every right using the AA as you see fit.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Cheers wyx. If I see the problem again, I'll contact you on Battlelog fella.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Sorry but isn't manning the AA at spawn "doing something"? I have downed quite a few enemy jets and helicopters from the stationary AA at spawn points.

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

It was an admin that sent it

<--- The Admin

The reason I sent that is that Phalanx was using the Ship AA, not mobile AA, on Canals Conquest to constantly shoot Infantry that popped up on his hud. That is clear base camping AFAICT.

7. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

So almost the opposite of base raping then lol....

To be honest if I see anyone who trys that from base i.e motar for example I aways make a point of base raping to get them as the opposite of the rule should apply. If they are pinned at the base then fair enough but to sit there any think they are protected well :wallbash:

8. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Base camping is part of the game, if someone wants to sit in the Ship AA and wait the entire game to get a few kills let them.

People should be smart enough to get to cover.

9. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Not really the players and the community make the game, games will always have exploits. This isnt a big deal really the question was asked and explination has been given with regards to this on the CPC server.

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

The Ship AA is inaccurate at best when firing on moving infantry and I've been hit many times on Kharg Island Rush for example and easily managed to get down or get into cover. I don't see it as a big problem.

Places where you can really get raped are maps like conquest where you get pushed back to spawn and the enemies line the buildings at A firing towards you or on the flipside, firing down the tunnels from C. That is truely demoralising although I always end up with a positive K/D just hunkering down and sniping from the back.

11. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

The shear amount of open ground on that map that the AA covers is insane.
    If someone is using it against infantry, it doesnt matter if you use vehicles to try get through quickly, it simply chews them up aswell.

Another thing about that map that bugs me is that the Russians have no AA capabilities at all, so the Air is 99% of the time controlled by the US

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

13. wyx087

hum, base AA is a grey area. especially the Canals ship AA, where it can shoot into 3 out of the 5 conquest points.

problem with base AA is that it is tougher than AMTRAK and really far away, yet really accurate. so you can just spam Q button and shoot at red dots. a good player can get over 20 kills just with it. (i am ashamed to say have tried that once)

it's like base rape, don't use it to state peddle on K/D as courtesy to other players on the server, when playing Canals.

luckily other AA on other maps don't seem to have this problem.

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have also done it myself, spotted enemy for team and took out a few vehicles or covered B with it for sometime.

Looks like unless Air Support is needed people should avoid. I think I did it because I was annoyed at getting my ass kicked all the time.

15. AceRimmer77

AceRimmer77 What's a Dremel?

I really wish people on servers would use the spot key more often, i am constantly using it to spot vehicles, maybe I have been unlucky in servers I choose.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I do all the time, and especially when i have the MAV round (aka, spawn, fly up with the MAV and spot, spot and your guess is right, spot). I refuse to snipe (for now at least), so this is the only way i can get higher recon unlocks :).

17. wyx087

went and found the battle report. Phalanx, you got 12 kills 0 death, only 1 vehicle destroy ribbon (3 vehicle kills), no best weapon on the stats.

taking into account maximum possible vehicle destroy and all of them being loaded attack choppers, that's an unlikely 10 kills. still not 12 kills as it says on battle report.

of course, i am not on the server, don't know if they were sniping and base raping with mortar. but i would still say Deadbolt's warning is fair. that AA is at a exploitable position compared to all other stationary AA. please restrain yourself from using that on ground troops.

my earlier statement still stands though. mobile AA on ground target is fair game.

18. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

19. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

I didn't think that the base AA could be destroyed?! I really hate canals for this very reason. Low ceiling and US AA that covers almost the entire map kinda puts the RU side at a big disadvantage.

Perhaps if they moved the AA to the rear of the carrier, it wouldn't be such a big problem.

20. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Isn't the ceiling being pushed up on this map in tomorrows patch? If so at least that's one thing you can tick off.

I do think it's unfair that the RU side has no AA equipment. Also the RU 'copter can be down in seconds by the US base AA if it's spotted. I long for some of the larger maps from BF2. Giving you time to get there and be prepared.