1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose What's a Dremel?

looks like i wont get to play it :(
    the download on my bb will take about 3 days

lets hope if I leave it on overnight it will finish b4 4pm friday

2. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Do tell us what the game is like. :):)

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Friday 4pm for me! WooHoo!!! :rock:

I'm sorry to say the keys had to be redeemed by Sunday the 20th. :(

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Me too! High five?

Not sure what class to try - I assume we won't be getting to keep them so...

5. Allsopp

Allsopp What's a Dremel?

Played beta in july pre-ordered first day not sure if i will be playing it much this time around as its just a load test really

6. Fizzban

High five!

I think I'm probably going to try the Trooper, and make it a female one so I can listen to Jennifer Hale doing her thang. :D

Yeah the characters will be wiped before launch.

7. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I believe they extended the time given.

Since the Terms of the email i got from Razer say to be redeemed by tomorrow.

Anyways, YGPM (asteldian) =].

8. Fizzban

Really?! Well I hope so. Good luck asteldian!

9. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Now that the NDA has been lifted people can start talking about the beta's too. I played an early beta ages ago (beginningish of this year IIRC) mainly as inquisitor and i really liked it but the game still had some to go. Got invited to another beta sometime in summer and played a bit but my interest had waned in MMO's so only played the first world on a trooper, didn't really like it tbh.
    Am in starting tomorrow again and looking forward to see what is around the corner even though i have no time for gaming at the moment, let alone MMO's. Gonna give imperial agent a try and maybe go back to inquisitor at release.
    I have to say though that even though what i have thus far experienced is really good, i am wondering whether it will survive the expectations. I hope so.....

10. Ljs

Ljs Modder

67 minutes!

11. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Oh wow!! Its got 3d abilities..... now only got to wait another lightyear or 2 for entry lol. Would anyone like some 3d screenshots done?

12. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Actually this computer is a pre-built..

and I got plans for my future computer.. it'll blow the computer I mentioned out of the water probably off the planet!

PM for Computer specs for the future computer.

(Prebuilt Computer Stats)
    CPU: Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3500+ 2.19GHz 3 GB of RAM.. Physically 4 GB but it's a 32 Bit so it's ok..

GPU.. None

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've been playing the beta and at first didn't think much but I've got to say I'm really enjoying it now. Looking forward to the full release in a few weeks :)

14. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Well thats the last beta weekend over with :( got my warrior to lvl 31, did so many flashpoints and a fair amount of pvp, which is unusual for me as I dont usually like pvp, so thats got a thumbs up :)
    My guild did some recordings of a few of the flashpoints if anyone is interested, lvl 21 to 30 mark: http://www.youtube.com/user/SimpSibo?feature=mhee, still trying to get my videos up... darn my pathetic upload speed...

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

What really put me off during the beta weekend test was the light/darkside choices, many of the choices I thought where extremely odd, it seemed to be that doing what people wanted you to do = light side, not doing that = dark side, rather than actually taking into account the moral/emotional situation.
    That added with the fact there was no benefit to not being full dark/full light really kills the role-playing aspect of it.

The other big problem to me was that because the game (the initial part anyway) was SO story focused, I didn't want to team up with other people because it was interrupting my story and the answered I wanted to give.
    It's like playing mass effect but every so often someone else gets to make the choices for you, just doesn't mesh well.

For a game so focused on creating a unique character and experiencing the story the way you want, they sure as hell are lacking customization options (also why is it so damned hard to make an older looking character)

I did however find the ranged combat to be quite fun (at least more fun than the standard WoW mold) and the imperial agents voice was brilliant.

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Overall i found the lightside/darkside options to be fairly consistent... there were only a few where i actually though"wait... what?" (like insisting a kid to go back to his parents, instead of running away - it was a loving caring family, not an abusive one).

I believe there are some benefits to being full dark/light, however it mainly goes with certain armor pieces (which i believe are fully customisable). However the problem is that if you make gameplay benefits for going either side, then you have the problem that people will start making choices for gameplay reasons rather than story/roleplay reasons. Not to mention there's the stereotype that certain hardcore guilds won't accept you if you don't have 100% darkside for some random bonus.

As for not wanting to group up... i do understand that, although all Class Story stuff is for your decision only. The other quests have absolutely no impact on your story and are ultimately only there to give you lightside/darkside points (which you still get, despite losing the roll).

I'll hardly ever group with randoms to quest unless it's either a Heroic or there's some area Boss to defeat.

However with friends i take a completely different view in that it's more like DnD and having a laugh with them. It's not always the case that you'll get your way and it makes it all the more fun when there randomly seems to be a trend and you joke about it (like someone wins all the conversation rolls but never wins a "decision" roll). And since they can't affect my actual story, it makes it more enjoyable.

I agree with customisation however... it was one of the things i was most disappointed about, especially with many modern MMOs letting to create unique characters (through use of sliders, rather than set options).

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

That one was especially stand out. But there where Quite a few I felt where at odds (most of the lightside sith options)

I also disliked the republic trooper start... I am apparently bad-ass enough to wander around a combat zone in a long sleeved t-shirt instead of combat armour (that the rest of my squad got) Also ignoring direct orders from my superiors (choosing not to save people) apparently has no negative repercussions what so ever, which seemed odd

18. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

For those who are getting SWToR and have early access, you can now download the cilent.

Early access starts on the 13th, you'll get an e-mail the day your access starts depending on when you registered your code. :)

19. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Can't wait to get the email telling me when I will actually get into early access :) hoping for the 13th!

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

For some reason I thought early access could start from the 10th. Anyway looking forward to playing, I just hope they have a smooth launch.