1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help - first build has gone wrong :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kopkin, 1 Dec 2011.

1. kopkin

kopkin What's a Dremel?

Hi all

this is my first build.

I've installed the cpu/fan/mobo into the case and plugged in the top chassis exhaust fan and cpu fan. i connect the power supply connectors to both mobo power sockets (24pin eatxpwr and 8 pin eatx 12v).

i power on, the two sets of fans come on but the cpu led on the mobo turns red. the mobo doesn't seem to have anywhere to plug in a monitor (and my graphics card doesn't arrive until tomorrow) so i'm not sure what is happening in bios. i then have to turn off the psu using it's switch as the chassis on/off button does not respond.

I've tried removing the ram and reinstalling it but nothing changes. i haven't tried removing the mobo and/or cpu yet.

Can anyone help?

i was a bit worried because the mobo flap feeled to be almost crushing the cpu when i locked it down. could i have damaged the cpu?

ft02 chassis
    asus p67 mobo
    i7 2600k cpu
    thermaltake silver arrow fan
    antec 1200 hc pro cpu

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

So long as the CPU was lined up correctly with it's locating notches then it will be fine. As far as I know you can't damage a CPU at all that way, provided all was located correctly.

First thing I would suggest is just leave it well alone until you have some form of visual output to tell you what is happening when you power on. Until then it's kinda pointless, like listening for a phone call when the phone is on silent.

Chill and wait dude, IF there is a problem I'm sure we can sort it once you know what's going on at power up.

3. kopkin

kopkin What's a Dremel?

thanks mate :clap:

you have made me feel slightly better! i'll post back tomorrow after i get the graphics card.
    question though, i guess sabertooth doesn't have onboard graphics so if the cpu isn't working does that mean that the the rig won't get as far as driving the graphics card and so i won't be able to get a visual output?

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I believe that would be the case yes. Someone here can better advise than I but as far as i know it wont POST without a working CPU in.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Assuming you used TIM on the CPU and have some RAM in that system?

6. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

You did use the motherboard stand off screws didn't you? Not just bolting the motherboard straight to the case?

(That's the third time I've asked that question since I've been a member of Bit-tech! :D)

7. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

some motherboards wont even fire up without a graphics card attached.
    wait until the graphics card arrives before worrying too much! :D

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't worry.

You'll learn that the fear you feel now will turn to annoyance the more you build :)

Wait until you get some graphics output like has been said.

You're currently trying to do the equivalent of starting a car without wheels, you've no way of knowing whether it will drive or not.

9. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Unless you got this mixed up with this.

10. BlackDrag0n

BlackDrag0n What's a Dremel?

Do you have a BIOS speaker? That could narrow down the problem

11. kopkin

kopkin What's a Dremel?

i installed the graphics card and plugged into the monitor but don't get any image appearing on the screen.

i gave the pc to an electronics engineer over the w/e to see if he could fix the problem but he couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

i'm very sad and frustrated now. been waiting 2-yrs to play swtor and it feels like i won't be ready in time. DABS returns policy says it could be 6wks before they ship me replacement parts even if they agree something is faulty. can anyone save the day?

ps - no i don't have a bios speaker but the elec engineer also suggested this. will try to buy one tomorrow.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  12. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Can you test the power supply - have you got a tester. You must be gutted mate I feel for you. There is always that tense butt clench moment when you power on waiting for the all clear.

Could you reseat the processor and then boot with just cpu ram and graphic card to see if you can see the bios?

All the bits are defo compatible?

13. Diellur

Diellur What's a Dremel?

This can happen from time to time. LEDs can lie, bizarrely! make sure everything is seated correctly...don't just have a look, pull the components and reinstall them. The red LED has been known to be caused by issues unrelated to the CPU. if it's not a poorly seated component, then you'll need to RMA to Dabs...up to you whether you RMA the CPU or motherboard (or both!).

14. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Very frustrating for you. Are you getting any beeping from the mobo during bootup? If so, that can give you a clue as to what's going on if you check the mobo documentation, there will be a troubleshooting guide to help you decode the beeps. It's not a brilliant bit of advice, sorry, but worth a look.

Other than that, as others have advised, take it all apart again and start off with the very basics - CPU, one strip of RAM, GPU and see if that boots.

Also are you sure there isn't a VGA adaptor on the mobo itself? If there is, try to use that instead of the graphics card, because it might just be that you get no display because the card needs drivers installing first.

Good luck!

15. BlackDrag0n

BlackDrag0n What's a Dremel?

He doesn't have a BIOS speaker so wont be able to hear anything.

Also, P67 does not support On-board video out

16. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Is the CPU led a solid red colour? Because it would sound like you haven't connected the 4 pin power connection to the motherboard to me.