1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Bit-Tech Case Design Contest - SFF Edition - Powered by LOSIAS

Discussion in 'Modding' started by confusis, 4 Dec 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Will we see another damn creative and funny design of yours ? * shhhh Xmas case *

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's been a few things rolling around in my head. - Stainless steel, Nexxo's designs, using scraps to make a stained glass mosaic effect, some crazy stuff i've been doing offline...

Oh, and I picked up 2 sheets of this crazy translucent neon green from Delvie's the other day. -Almost looks like radioactive banana pudding in real life - Ideas welcome.:D

(They might still have some of it in the discount section, BTW.)

[​IMG]
    -Case in point. It started out neat but the component placement killed it.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2011
  3. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

I would have hoped for a mITX competition, but mATX certainly works to!

I'll try to actually make a submission this time if I can find the time for it. University has been eatin' away all my sparetime lately :(

Anyway, I hope to see some truly creative SFF builds! :dremel:

Kind regards
    Mork

4. Cheapskate

@Mork - Tune in and drop out, M'kay? The SU comps are way more important.:D

[​IMG]
    -Not sure what happened here. It's easy to screw up scales. I should pick some particular materials and work from there.
    [​IMG]
    -I spent way too long sorting the guts out too.

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Nice work guys!

Sorry about the size of the Abit skp file, then again it does look pretty in renders since it's *ahem* rather detailed :p

6. GuilleAcoustic

@cheaps: whoa, is this a blood cooled computer with cat brain transmitter ? Impressive look and work there :thumb:

@confusis: Don't worry about the size. Right now I use a naked mATX board. I'll use yours for render once the design is done :). Thanks a lot for your awesome skp.

7. GuilleAcoustic

Little update. I did work on the left side of the case. I'm considering using plexi inlay for the "abit" engraving, and backlighting it in blue when the computer in ON.

I'm also tempted to cut a handle inside this panel, just above the center of gravity, to help moving it around.

What do you think of it ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

that's "abit" small lol.

get it? :p

Looking goowwd

9. GuilleAcoustic

:hehe: :hehe: I didn't even had the guts to make this joke :hehe: :hehe:

EDIT: Maybe I should move the abit on the main chassis, where the PSU sits.

EDIT²: I think a post on BT main page would bring more people to this contest :).

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  10. Cheapskate

@Confusis - I noticed that. Part of my slow reply was getting GG's system set up for SU. Shall we see how big of a file it takes to lag 8 gigs of ram?
    @Guille - NOT the look I was going for at all, I assure you. I'm not big on logos, more of a pattern guy myself. -Wait! Is that an ITX board you are using?

-And remember: Lighten your black shades a bit so blind people like Uncle cheaps can see the details.:D

11. GuilleAcoustic

Got it, I'll lighten things for you unca' Cheaps :thumb:.

This is a mATX board with low profile daughter boards, but light edition because my computer at work can't keep with large SU models.

I have changed the design a little. I'm not using the FLEX psu anymore, a pico PSU is plenty enough and save a few centimeters in width, as well as decibels :D. The design is still very close, just thinner

EDIT : The matrox cards consumes 10W each and the OCZ velodrive another 10W.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Today's update. Worked on the slimed version, using a pico PSU (with the wallwart being inside the case ... will model this tomorrow). It is a little taller (40mm) but looks less fatty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic with the 8 monitors (here 8x HP 24"), perfect for a trading center or monitoring use) :

[​IMG]

13. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Like the second design a lot more far more sleek looks about the size of my router lol

14. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

That case is awesome, Guille!

My initial thought when I saw the side with the 'abit' logo on was: "passive heat-sink!"

15. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Well you could do that. In a way that the motherboard back makes contact with it through a thermal pad or something.

16. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks mate, that was the main idea. Designing a case for professionnal purpose, with a sleek look.

Thanks dude. Passive heat-sink, it reminds me of the Thermalright HSC range :

[​IMG]

Gorgeous but I'm afraid that it won't be efficient in my case, to small.

17. Cheapskate

We need a universal size reference object.
    Here's what I slapped together before I burned out yesterday afternoon. It just wasn't working for me.
    [​IMG]
    -How do I aim for steampunk, and get 50's streamline every time?:duh: It's not all bad. The front/top shroud draws air from the back and gets the fan noise out of your face.
    [​IMG]
    -The mind was on other things here...

18. GuilleAcoustic

50's streamlines are very cool, and so are your designs. Reference size object .... what about a silverstone ft03 ?

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Well. Allthough there's some very nice, funky, outlandish designs on the first two pages allready, they're not SFF in general. Guille is the only one so far catching the ball there.

SFF in my oppinion has to be smaller then a midi-tower. Something like the LianLi V35x-series or the SS Sugo 02/03 is considered SFF in my books.

I'm currently working on an ITX-case for my actual hardware, that will be 10l only. And even with a standard-PSU, 3.5" HDDs and a bigger GPU something at under 15l is managable.

Sorry, if I sound too critical, but I think this shouldn't be called SFF-contest, if there's no size-restrictions for the case. SFF is all about the size of the case and not the hardware used imho.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I thought the industry standard reference objects were:-

1: 25 cent piece/pound coin/1 euro
    2: Coke can
    3: Human