1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First car - what colour should I paint my wheels? Mk2 Golf Content Pg. 8

Discussion in 'General' started by ry@n, 30 Nov 2010.

1. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

Why not pick out the lettering on the tyres with some white paint?

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Because it wouldn't suit my car.

3. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

You know what would make that car look more awesome?

Black and white number plates, just like on old cars. It's a shame they're illegal on any car made after 197-something.

4. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Its hard to tell from the pics but I already have metal pressed plate, just the legal colours rather than black and silver. Tempted to get some for show plates though.

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

[​IMG]

More pics to follow!

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Before: 4x4 stance and fart cannon.

[​IMG]
    After: Stealth pipe and lowered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

That does look freaking awesome!!!

But does it still handle?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doubt it, but that's not the point with properly slammed motors. :)

What's the new zorst sound like? Love the stealth option, is it OE-noise levels or some raspy add-on?

9. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Thanks Cerberus!

With the current setup I would say the handling was optimal when the coilovers were set 30mm higher on the front but yea its all about looks. Afterall its only a 50bhp car with a cheap set of coilovers and whatever you set them at it still feels a lot tighter and safer than standard suspension, around corners at speed.

Its a standard OE backbox but im still using the Scorpion S/S middlebox so at idle it sounds standard but when you accelerate hard its still nice and fruity. Its also lost the horrible drone on the motorway which is a bonus.

10. Krikkit

Very nice! Sounds like you've picked your parts carefully, love the OE-look exhaust.

Looking at the pictures you've got quite a lot of neg camber going on, so the car will feel a lot more planted at normal speeds, which is a bonus! How it'll react during hard cornering is a different story, but with 50hp you won't get that far. :)

11. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Yea theres a bit of -camber, I cant remember off hand but I have a print-out somewhere from when I had the tracking done. Im going to need to get the back arches flaired or increase the camber to stay this low/ go lower. Im going to try the arch rolling/flairing approach first as I don't like too much camber and don't fancy going smaller than a 195/45 on a 9J wheel! I rolled the front arches almost flat and faired them about 10mm when I had access to a rolling machine.. knew I should have done the back aswell, as they are only rolled inwards.

12. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Very nice. I've got a thing for slammed Polos on small wheels. There's a nice one in Lincoln that has BBS alloys and a full burgandy leather interior (headliner and all). Think it's a green colour if I remember right.

Can't wait untill I've got some money to spend on my car. Got a BMW 320d, and all I've done to it is install a tuningbox to boost the power to ~ 175bhp. I'd like to get some MV2 alloys, or ideally some BBS LM's (although they cost a fortune), and slam it. Might be owrth changing the car to a 330ci before spending money on this one though as I don't like the look of 4 doors.

13. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

T'other way round isn't it? (sort of)

Neg camber helps during cornering, as when you corner, the forces put positive camber onto the outside wheel, so having negative camber to start with means that hopefully by the time your at the apex, you've got around half a degree of negative, which is apparently the optimal.
    But, when travelling in a straight line, you've got less tyre in contact with the road, so theoretically less grip, the actual amount less is probably negligible in the dry, but once your tyres start wearing just be careful in wet/ice, :D

Hence why it can sometimes be better to keep static camber as close to vertical as possible, but add more castor, which adds negative camber when the wheels are turned. However adding Castor is usually not possible on most cars as its fixed (but not on mine, :D ).
    As ryan says though, to get that low it needs neg camber.

Hard to tell in the pics due to the lighting, but I'd hazard a guess at between 1 degree and 2 degrees neg camber, maybe a tad more on the rears.

14. Krikkit

What I meant was: Light cornering, super planted. Hard cornering, possibly unpredictable breakaway as the mechanical grip starts to give up and you suddenly snap into sliding. Either way, pretty moot with 50hp.

Definitely right about castor though, the only angle in suspension I've heard of where often more = better right up the scale to TC specs where you end up with 5 or 6 degrees..!

Adjustable suspension on your ride?

ry@n: Arch rolling! Awesome. Wish I was ambitious with my first car. :thumb:

15. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah, I misread your post the first time and thought you said good handling on straights but maybe not in corners, :D, must :read: more carefully, :D.
    And I dunno, you can still end up in trouble with 50hp. I managed to spin my first car (fiesta 1.25) on a wet/greasy roundabout, and I was only doing about 25mph ish. Was still learning though back then, had only been driving for about a year ish.

Yeah, I've got adjustable lower arms for camber adjustment, and adjustable tie bars, to change the castor. Got the tie bars as the standard ones were bent as they seem to be made from liquorice, :D.

Most ambitious I got with my first car was fixing some rust on the arches, :D

16. Krikkit

ry@n: Saw these and thought of you... ;)

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

How do you get over speedbumps...... im genuinely asking not trying to be a dick

My friend done a similiar thing to his 306 and he took the speed bump in college and completely owned it seriously ****ed up the bottom

18. AxelAraatus

AxelAraatus What's a Dremel?

Gunmetal would probably suit this best. Or a dark/navy blue. Nice car though!

19. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

just wow haha, even though I haven't curbed a single wheel to date I still wouldn't trust myself rolling on them :hehe:

[​IMG]
    On this type theres nothing you can do but take it slow.

[​IMG]
    These will seriously destroy something if you drive over them normally. if the road is clear I take the middle, if its not I either put the driverside wheels in the middle of the road or the passenger side wheels on the left side of the road.

[​IMG]
    These are the worst kind. These are hard to avoid and I have to drive over one to get to the gym and uni. The heat shield on the cat and the middlebox get a nice punch in the face from these.

Other than that I have to watch out for large pot holes and large dips in the road where my subframe has hit a few times. My car is fairly low as a daily but only average when I go to shows. Its not uncommon to need a chassis notch to stop driveshafts fouling and some cars even scrape on cats eyes, not kidding.

20. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I thought I would post an update incase anyone is interested.

I finally got around to painting the old wheels as im looking to sell the Steffans to fund my next car.

[​IMG]
    Half way progress shot. All curbing and other damage was repaired before spraying with BMW Sparkling Graphite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The new paint job is certainly a dust magnet though

[​IMG]
    Also, a small pic in "FastCar" magazine.

No pic of the car as it stands on the grey wheels but the Deep dish wheels, coilovers and other mods are being sold soon to help fund a Mk4 Golf 1.8T. A common car I know but I plan to make it a nice clean example with a few unique touches.