1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics What should I do. £300 to spend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 8 Dec 2011.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Hey all, I have a problem. I'm looking to upgrade my panel but BF3 and Skyrim has already started to make my 460 chug @ 1680 with all eye candy and I really want to get my fps up in other titles

Through lack of pre planning I bought the vanilla P8P67 which rules out SLI. (new mobo a good idea?) I know that a new range of GPU's is due out in not too long but I have decided to treat myself for xmas.

I much prefer Nvidia, are there any bargain quiet, super cool 580's out there?

Current build in sig, thanks in advance

n17

2. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

If I where you id hold unto the £300 for a little while longer. A new series of cards are inc and best case scenario, you have a awesome new model to choose from, worst case, the prices of the current gen stuff drops. So either way its a win. Apart from that, I personally think SLI/Crossfire is a waste of money, I mean if you have money to throw around, the fps increase might be worth it. However if your on a budget (as you seem to be) then you'd be best off investing in a single solid card, instead of two mediocre cards and have to deal with the wide range of problems running in a SLI/Crossfire setup can bring.

3. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Well the first new cards out will be from AMD, the Nvidia ones look set to come much later next year so I would just forget waiting and buy a card now.

You wont get a 580 for only £300 but a 560ti or 570 will both handle the higher settings @ 1680 x 1050 easily.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

new cards new cards new cards.

The equiv of what you have for the next gen. S'what I'm waiting for

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Cheapest you will find a 580 for is about £360 :(

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Oh... You can get a better price than that...

Well, the KFA2 one is £349.99 at Dabs...

You then knock of £10 using their STAR10 code - so £339.99

& you can then get 2.06% cashback on the pre-VAT price from cashbackkings...

(£339.99/1.2 = £283.33 before VAT x 0.0206 = £5.84 cashback)

so £334.15

Okay, it's still above the £300 mark, but that's simply from a *very* quick google search so it 'may' be possible to do better...

...& that's without contemplating 2nd hand on eBay or whatever.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd say you'd have better luck picking up a Higher-end 570 than a Low-end 580. Pick up something like the 570 Phantom and just OC it gently till it's more than fast enough for your needs.

1680X1050 isn't the most demanding of resolutions anyway. I think even a 560Ti (Standard, not the 448core) would manage you for most things.

8. AxelAraatus

AxelAraatus What's a Dremel?

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Id get a new screen and then a new GFX after the Christmas.
    EDIT: Ohh it's not a bad Screen.

Best off waiting until after Christmas regardless.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2011
  10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Mmmmm... no stock & the price is too low to be sensible...

Kind of surprises me with Kikatek as they normally don't stick up very low prices when there's no stock...

Similarly have bought from them in the past & they've always been fine.

11. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

i would agree with murraynt, get a screen first then get a GPU.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks for all the replies.

On this point 'will handle the higher settings'

I want all the graphical splendor, without compromising on fps. With my 460 on Skyrim and BF3 I've been forced to lower some stuff and still it will occasionally dip to mid 20's.

Be it at 1600 or 1900 I want 50 fps in all circumstances. If a 580 (or next gen equiv) is required then so be it

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Would you be Aleksandr Orlov by any chance? :jawdrop::blush:

14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Not quite... i just try & save money whenever i can (whilst buying from reputable firms) & generally know where to look to knock some money off... Simples. ;)

Yeah, i'm not saying it's the absolute cheapest price (as it took longer to type out the figures than it did to get a new 580 down to that), but it's a step in the right direction for the OP.

Okay, it's maybe not got the cache of certain other brand names, but it's got a very good custom Arctic cooler & apparently o/cs pretty well...

...so imho, without really upping the budget, it's a decent 580 that (again) isn't *that* much over the OP's budget.

Though i do agree that you shouldn't need a 580 for a 1680X1050 res...

...but it's just whether, for the OP, it's worth buying the better card for a future monitor with better specs or not...?

15. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I won't lie that KFA2 are a good brand, I own one of their cards, and I'm contemplating picking up a second. It's more a case of "You get what you pay for" Sure. Some of the higher-end 570s push into the low 580 territory in price, but you should, in theory, get a card that performs very nearly as well, considering it's only missing a bit of memory and 16 extra shader cores. Things like the 570 Phantom also hold a legendary status as some of the best overclocking 570s out there, meaning it's possible to reach 580 levels of performance for a lower price. Albeit with increased heat than expected from such a card. ( I reference the Gainward 570 Phantom so much because I've toyed around with one before, helping a friend of mine get his stable, others may be equally good. The Gigabyte extreme OC one also looks like a good bet )

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  16. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Advising hom to buy a new screen with a higher res is hardly going to help his fps issue, it will just make it worse.

If you really must upgrade right now, 560ti and what's left on a 1080 monitor

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

17. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Fair enough... & i think we're agreed that it would be over kill for the current monitor.

Though would that be stock 580 levels or o/c'd 580 levels that it's pushing...? &, of course, not all gfx cards will o/c to the same extent.

Also, from a quick google search, you're losing 0.2 of a GB of memory on the Phantom as well...

...though, the only game i've had any memory issues with 1.5GB on maxed settings is Shogun 2 @ 2048x1536, so i can't say that this is actually going to be an issue atm.

18. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

personally I'd say go for a 580, a 580 will be an awesome card now and for quite a while to come, also you can sell your 460 and that would probably make the difference between a your £300 budget and a new 580 and then some, and then get a new monitor after Christmas or something perhaps in the January sales

19. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

That exactly what I want. BF3 in all it's glory. That why I just ordered a gtx580. Spend extra for a 580, you will regret it otherwise. Pocketdemons deal looks good especially if money's tight.