1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

Reading it from that link it just sounds like it's a better enforcement of the double move rule to stop someone blocking then moving back on to the racing line in time for the corner.

Could still use clarification:confused:

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Any news on if DC is still going to be doing media coverage next year?

I strongly suspect with the BBC's reduced coverage and a likely domination by Mr Vettel, that I won't be watching much anyway. We shall see! :)

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

LOL! I wouldn't have phrased it like that, but she's not very appealing. I'd be rather more interested in this:

[​IMG]

4. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

The whole, now it's gone to Sky, I'm not watching anymore, is getting very old now. Things move on. I have been a F1 fan for over 30 years now and had to put up with some pretty dodgy coverage. I am sure you will live with the BBC re-runs for the races that they are not showing live. If you are that interested in the sport, why are you not getting Sky?

5. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Because not everyone can afford to pay £20 (on sky or £14.5/£25 on virgin depending on your package) extra a month to watch 20 races a year!

Not to mention you pay these massive fee's and they still have the gall to have advertisements. What a joke.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

From one of the comments from an earlier link, Sky Wont be putting Adverts in during the race.

Sam

7. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

If you already have the sports package, it won't cost anything.
    All races will be shown without adverts.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I don't think it'll be available on virgin... may be wrong there though... And sky have said no adverts during the race...

But i agree £30.25 a month [basic sky + HD pack] is a lot just to watch f1 [if you don't already have a sky sub]

Imo the Beeb should have just 'fessed up and said 'we overspent/spent all the f1 money on the Olympics'

anyway... back to the F1...

I hope DiResta keeps his seat at FI... and who is Charles Pic?

Also Helium in the Air Guns... would using something like helium really make that much difference [though this is a sport where .1 of a second is considered a long time]?

Last edited: 8 Dec 2011
  9. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Pic finished a fairly unspectacular 4th in last years' GP2 series; he drove for Virgin at the young drivers' test after the Abu Dhabi GP a few weeks ago and subsequently was confirmed at Marussia for next season.

Apparently the helium allows up to 30% faster rotation speeds, so if it takes half a second to undo a wheelnut with air, I guess that could be reduced to as little at 0.35s using helium.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

There is a global shortage of helium and some scientists think we might actually run out of it in the next few decades so using it in a wheel gun does not really fit with the sports "green" intentions.

11. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Huh? It's the second most abundant element.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That makes some sense as production/transport costs are the reason [or one of the reasons] they don't allow the use of nitrogen in the tyres... I was just curious as to what effect helium in air tools actually had.

EDIT: Hydrogen is the most abundant element... prying it away from whatever it's attached to, capturing it and storing it is a different matter entirely... if it was easy we'd [probably] be driving hydrogen powered cars...

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Wheel guns use compressed gas. And helium likes to leak out of containers, because it's atomically smaller.

To fix green stuff, I'd like to try do a race with only 50 liters of fuel, opening up motor regulations.

Finally Sauber have also quit FOTA, and STR are looking like they aren't committing either, that would leave only british baseed teams minus Red Bull Racing. Sauber leaving is a surprise to me, as I thought the spat was about the Resource Restriction Agreement, Ferari are rolling in it and Red Bull have an unusal arangement with Red Bull Technology designing :confused:.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2011
  15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I reckon the RRA will still remain a sticky point for a bit.
    Ferrari have a history of spending themselves out of trouble.
    Red Bull is accused of innovative accounting practises.
    Those two leaving the FOTA over that makes sense...
    Saube makes a bit less sense, unless they are considering the option of spending themselves out of trouble as well.

16. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Lotus have announced that Romain Grosjean will partner Kimi for at least the start of next season; will be interesting to see where Kubica fits in (if anywhere) when fit.
    http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/8108-Romain-Grosjean-to-race-alongside.html

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I've made the Sauber connection, it's their historical puppet association with Ferrari.

Lotus getting two new drivers hmm. Anyone remember greasy Flav' saying he'll never replace both drivers at the same time, that's funny.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

He isn't really getting two new drivers - Grosjean has been their test man after all. Even so it's a significant change for them, but one that's needed.

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Test driver? Well I'd forgotten that, It's like seeing Gary Paffet doing interviews. How much time do they get to spend in real cars, were they at the Abu Dhabi test?

Do you know what the problem today with all these drivers is? Well I think that, not enough of them are dying!

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

What a ridiculous and insensitive thing to say.