1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Purchasing a 560 ti.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AxelAraatus, 9 Dec 2011.

1. AxelAraatus

AxelAraatus What's a Dremel?

Hello there, this weekend I shall be purchasing a GTX560 ti. At first I was drawn towards the ASUS one because of the price point. However I am not one to skimp out if it means loss of performance.

The reason why I am looking for a GTX560 ti is because it is within my current price range.
    After looking at the ASUS 560ti I then looked at the MSI 560ti. I looked up benchmarks for fps,temperate and noise levels. The MSI seems to run just that bit better, quieter and cooler.

What I am wondering is... Is it worth paying just that little bit more for the MSI than the ASUS. Or for that matter if any of you think there is a better 560ti out there.

All of the cards I am talking about are the 1GB versions.

Thanks for your time.

2. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Which 560 Ti series are you going for? 384 or 448 cores?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Forget the 448, get the standard 384 or jump to a 570. And Bit recently reviewed loads of 560Tis. Apparently the MSI Twin Frozr II has had its cooler profile changed and it isn't as quiet anymore. I'd get the ASUS one as it could be had for ~£150 a few weeks ago as mentioned in the hardware bargain thread.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  4. Deders

Deders Modder

It might be to do with an updated bios, you can still create your own fan profile to change speed when you want it to.

5. AxelAraatus

AxelAraatus What's a Dremel?

It's 384 cores I am going for.

Thank you for this info as I did not know. Do you know when the cooler was changed?

6. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

Actually they said the new default fan profile has made the cooler louder than before, so it's not so much that the cooler itself changed to something louder. If people use software like MSI Afterburner and its custom fan profile feature, there really isn't an issue, with majority of the graphic cards that got a half-decent custom cooler.

7. noizdaemon666

My bad. Memory failed a little bit there lol If it's just the fan profile, then I'd still go for the ASUS as it can be had quite cheaply. Although if you can find the MSI for less than I'd go for that instead. There's really nothing between them except choosing which name you want on the card.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS' new GPU Tweak does the same thing (available this month), but you should be also able to use the custom fan control on the MSI software too. I've gotta do a video next week demoing it so it should be online soon. Also the ASUS 560Ti also has a BF3 bundle in some stores if you don't already have the game.

There is a difference between them. I don't know what MSI puts on their cards these days but ASUS has replaced the VRMs with upgraded materials and things like a PCB stiffner and fuse protection, as well as the direct heatpipe cooler. It's not just a sticker on the card.

Unboxing video:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2392-ASUS-GTX560-DirectCU-II-TOP-unboxing-video

Explanation of the tech on the DirectCU series:

http://techinstyle.tv/products/whats-inside-my-asus-graphics-card/

560 Ti card overview:

http://techinstyle.tv/products/asus-geforce-gtx-560-ti-directcu-ii-preview/

9. noizdaemon666

^^Shameless advertising or what :lol:

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not advertising, it's being informational. I'm just correcting assumptions they are identical and just resticker jobs, which they aren't. ;)

I'm not saying DON'T buy the MSI, they make good cards - people know this - frankly he won't be disappointed with either. But I doubt he's here asking if he just wanted 'good enough'. ;)

Software: I'm even saying the ASUS software does the same as MSI's with regards to fan profiles, but I don't know whether MSI's can be used with every manuf in every function. I know GPU Tweak does, that's all :) Someone will update on the MSI front.

We have a BF3 bundle so it saves him 20 quid if he wants to play it. If not, don't bother looking for it. If so and they are the same price - sell the code!

It's just filling him with facts to make a better purchasing decision! MSI has their own microsites and reviews that can be looked at too! :)

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  11. ICISAZEL

ICISAZEL What's a Dremel?

ASUS GTX 560TI Direct CUII 1 GB @830

I have one of these, and its working really well for me cool and quiet.
    i sourced mine from http://www.amazon.co.uk for £165 delivered this was to replace an MSI GTX 560 TI Hawk which was faulty on arrival.

Had 0 issues with the ASUS so far and it has a similar pedigree of components to the MSI.
    for the money id say this is the better deal out there used to be £5 cheaper on amazon, buy well worth the asking price.

mine runs just under 70oC 50 % fan speed and is pretty quiet.

broken hawk ran at 90oC at 100% fan speed and was most definitely not quiet

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  12. noizdaemon666

Ok, I see your point ;) If it comes with BF3 then it is a bit of a cracking deal. Nice bits of info too on what makes ASUS cards different.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

*chokes* I..I DISAGREE!!

;);););)

What do you use to OC it? Afterburner?

14. ICISAZEL

15. ICISAZEL

i use afterburner but have not needed to overclock as of yet