1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Geneva Convention

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sp4nky, 7 Dec 2011.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Apparently the humanitarian organisation, the Red Cross, think that games such as Modern Warfare and Battlefied are breaking the Geneva Convention because they depict the slaughter of people in war without giving them the option to give up peacefully.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...e-warriors-forced-obey-Geneva-convention.html

Personally I think this is a load of old tripe, probably instigated by Keith "I hate gamers" Vaz or one of his cronies. Give up? Let's see what my friend USAS-12 says to that.

2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Ahh the Daily Mail, the #1 source for valuable, balanced and unprejudiced news the world over. :p
    Does make you reconsider the next donation though, if they have time and money to do this sort of ****.

Formed a committee to look at this? Y u no use money where it belongs :c

3. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

It would add another dimension to a game if some groups did try to surrender and the antagonist had to A/ give them the option and B/ deal with them before moving on with the objective.

There's me thinking about improving a game instead of discussing the actual problem :p

I bet Harry thinks all his Christmaseseseseses have come at once. "ayyyyyyyyyy... got me an older woman!"

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The Daily Fail is possibly the biggest load of tripe to have ever been printed!! Nex to The Sun!!

3lusive likes this.
  5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Don't know quite how everyone just resorted to slagging of the daily mail.
    There just stating what the red cross have said and seem to ridicule it a little.
    "Whether or not games such as Modern Warfare 3 offer a 'realistic' enough experience of warfare that International Humanitarian Law might apply is still open to debate"

6. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Could always argue that games are meant to provide escapism and it's nice to get away from all the problems and limitations of real life :p

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Last time I checked getting killed in a video game has never caused me any physical, mental or emotional harm. Can't see how they'll ever get past the massive barriers of video games being voluntary and, more importantly: virtual. Realistic, but distinctly not real.

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Isn't surrenderring in online gaming called logging off? As far as i know thats always been available to gamers.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Where is there source? They don't seem to link to any in the article and as far as i can tell it has only reached discussion stage within the Red Cross

10. Crackdown_uk

Crackdown_uk What's a Dremel?

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'm surprised the Daily Mail doesn't blame immigrants. Or the fact the headline doesn't read 'Immigrants fail to surrender in top games, make us break geneva convention'.

But ignoring that, it's a load of crap imo.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Guantanamo is still open, and THIS is what they've got time for

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I do enjoy the Daily Mails' articles. But being honest as the games are fictional and as such cannot have real laws applied to them. Also, get real... Modern Warfare 4 would be like the Youtube pi**take where soldiers drove trucks round and got things wrong... instead of combat, like combat actually is.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've never donated to the Red Cross and had no particular intentions to in the future, but this certainly isn't helping change that.

The more I look around on this issue the more disgusted I am by the sheer levels of bull**** involved. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Rant: I like the little blurb about promoting a greener conference. Do they not notice that their bragging about being green is taking up space? Or that if they didn't waste so much space at the top with a fancy logo they'd have more room? Or using smaller borders to fit in more text, or smaller font sizes, or not using the red background at the bottom which wastes ink in order to get a more shocking presentation. This has nothing to do with them questioning video games, but I find it representative of the completely detatched, high horse riding gits who come up with this.

15. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

"there is no simple answer"
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's like the police complaining you don't get a ticket when driving around *insert open-world game here* like a nutter..

Games are FICTION... maybe it's set in an alternate reality where the geneva convention doesn't exist... hell how many movies adhere to or acknowledge said bit of paper? what about books?

17. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

This World we live in is so SAD!

18. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

[​IMG]

FTFY

adzc1987 likes this.
  19. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

^ Winning!

20. BRAWL