1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I fly the jets fairly often but admittedly it's not my priority so perhaps I'm missing something here, but can't you just equip flares? Seems every time I've got a trouble with a helicopter it's a simple matter of flaring when they fire (typically both at once) then unloading with the minigun while they wait to reload.

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Just play Arma 2.

3. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I don't get why heat seekers are overpowered?

Any decent pilot knows when to use flares. I'm not seeing why you think they're overpowered.

You flares will be ready by the time they've reloaded and locked on again anyway.

I found in a chopper I cause pilots to panic, if you just sit and wait while locked on, they'll fire their flares without you shooting, so you can fire before they come back up once you lock again.

4. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

After spending some more time with jets post patch I have to say that Extinguishers are now useless. Pre patch Extinguishers made sense when it was a 2 hit disable and you could get away with it but now since 2 hits is a destroy you're either going to have to dodge them or duck below radar whenever you can whilst evading (although I'm pretty sure I've been locked onto whilst literally hugging the ground). TBH you might as well save yourself the grief and use Flares or ECM Jammer to help you evade easier, the latter I see more often now probably because its reload time hasn't increased like the Flares.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Only works when you operate with your team....

<edit> should add, sorry, only works FOR THE TEAM when you operate within the team....else you're just a lone wolf with a bunch of kamikaze backups....

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Landy i work with the team, repairing, rocketing and being the gunner, i relay information and spot all the time. Sometimes going lone wolf to cap an unmanned flag is whats needed to win, or getting behind the enemy line so your squad can spawn on you is all worthwhile!

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i guess i was raging when i typed that. you are correct, at the moment, fire extinguishers are made absolutely USELESS, broken by DICE balancing. i'll give ECM a try, but those ECM are a lie, real ECM are permanently active, only becomes ineffective when the chaff and flares run out. in fact, it's pretty much impossible to shoot down a modern fighter jet.

but back to the point, heatseakers are still overpowered even with flares. as people said, they'd wait for pilot to deploy flares then fire heatseakers. so 2 rockets should never destroy a jet. it's not about flares, in fact, dodging heatseakers should be possible (like patch 1) whereas patch 2 made sure it's near impossible. flying slightly off angle at a chopper as he fired heatseakers, it should miss, not kill the pilot completely!

sure jet are hard to shoot down. but they are SUPPOSED to be hard to shoot down, they are supposed to be harder to shoot down than any chopper. but currently why are does heatseaker equipped choppers ruling the sky?

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I don't fly the normal jets, only the A-10 and Frog. I'll always take flares with me and use them in conjunction with getting a 'launched' tone and afterburner to get some extra distance on the launch zone and buy me a second or two to get my flares reloaded. Tactic has kept me in the air so far usually. I just can't seem to dodge Scottyboy on our server. Git nails me out of the sky with impunity usually.

Ph4lanx did point out a useful tip in dogfighting that dropping your airspeed to about 270~ish means you can bank on a dime and get a good angle on anyone chasing you very very quickly.

They really have to fix the scoring on the A-10 quickly, it's becoming quite annoying in having some awesome Rush games and annihilating tanks with the thing, then not getting any points for it. You will get points for the Frogfoot, but not the A-10.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Been creaming jets out of the sky with miniguns on the LittleBird / Z-11W since day 1 :D
    Heatseekers, pffft.

10. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

If the ECM pods are always on then they need to include Anti-radiation missiles to counter it.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's fair enough if you can shoot down jets using AA gun or scout heli's minigun. they require skills.

but my problem is that choppers able to dominate JUST by heatseakers. they require no skills, just point and click. before this patch, they do just under 50% damage, making a chopper not overpowered and allow the jet to recover. currently they do a massive 68% damage and are near impossible to evade unless you are using flares.

my attempt at video making and explaining my case. 68% per heatseaker making them more lethal than any other anti-air method. this changed the chopper's role from ground support to air domination.

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I'm not sure I understand. If I got hit by a high explosive missle in my jet IRL I wouldn't expect to be able to fly the thing home, if I even survived the initial impact..

Jets are fast and agile with good firepower, helicopters are slow with decent to good firepower, it's fairly balanced IMO. Just flare at the right time and get out of there and your flares will be ready again when their heatseekers are.

13. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I agree they are near impossible to avoid without using flares. That's why that upgrade slot is always set to flares for most people. Kinda silly game design but its the way it is :<

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Whats this sks thing

I get one shotted from stupid distances all the time now :/

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Take flares and learn to dodge missiles. It's easier than you think. If you're being locked on, don't just continue to engage something, evade.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Semi-auto sniper unlock. It's ok at medium range but cannot beat long range bolt-action snipers in my opinion.

17. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Until of course you meet the M39 EMR, aka. "The Double Love-Tap" :D

If the first bullet doesn't hit you in the head and kill you, leaving you with little health, the second bullet is less than half a second behind it. ;)

18. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Hehe sorry about those kills Wyx! The thing is it's actually hard for a chopper to lock on to a jet on caspian border as the jets can very easily go out of range (as they are way faster than the choppers) or bank up above the chopper which breaks the lock unless the chopper has enough range of motion to bank backwards without flying into the ground or buildings.

On Kharg Island there have been countless times where I've been attempting to lock on to the jets only to have them blink out of range at the last second. Generally I try and tell my team jet pilots to fly close to me so that when they are in a dogfight I can doubleteam the enemy, and that's the majority of the kills in that vid.

On the otherhand, I do agree that one heli lock on shouldn't completely destroy a jet, it should disable it and allow extinguisher to do its job.

19. mrbungle

:/

Seems it has been meddled with or i was on a server with hackers it was mental.

OOOOH QUEUES. Who would have thought!

20. mrbungle

wow a video that starts saying jets should dominate.

those bf2 40 kils for 2 deaths a thing of the past.

real sad about that!